REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   loss of income after an accident (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677324-loss-income-after-accident.html)

City-bear 11-30-2012 08:42 AM

loss of income after an accident

So, my mom is a driving instructor. Sometimes, when her car gets into an accident, she obviously cannot work anymore. Most of the time it's just a few days or whatnot, nothing serious so far.

My question is what can she do to address the loss of income if anything. Today, she was hit by someone else and it was clearly the other persons fault. She now has to cancel her classes for today and a few coming days to get it fixed (passenger door wont open).

Small claims court comes to mind, but I don't really know if thats worth it or appropriate....I mean we're talking about a few hundred dollars here. But then again, a few hundred dollars every now and again really starts to add up. Does ICBC have anything or any insurance etc?

Thanks

inv4zn 11-30-2012 08:48 AM

If you insure the vehicle as a regular passenger vehicle, driving to/fro work, etc, then you're supposed to get a courtesy car while you get your car fixed. Whether or not you can use that vehicle for driver's ed, I'm not too sure.

If it's a "commercial" vehicle, your best bet is to call ICBC and ask them about it, which frankly is the first thing you should have done lol

City-bear 11-30-2012 09:07 AM

She does call ICBC, and claim an accident.

She's actually even under the special insurance for "high risk" vehicles as I believe thats what driving instructor cars are...but does ICBC cover income lost after an accident? Thats what i'm asking...

freakshow 11-30-2012 09:49 AM

what did ICBC say when she called?

GabAlmighty 11-30-2012 10:20 AM

I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that ICBC will have the answer you seek.

Soundy 11-30-2012 10:58 AM

A regular courtesy car wouldn't be insured to use as a "driving instruction" vehicle - if she tries that and gets in a wreck, she'll really be in doo-doo.

Driver training, I would think, would require very specific insurance, just as it requires a special license... not just insurance on the vehicle, but non-ICBC coverage like Business Interruption Insurance - this is the coverage one would get for any kind of business for instances where your business is, well, interrupted.

One would think that she would have already been given this info when she got her instructor's license... er, she does have an instructor's license, doesn't she?

That aside, Gab has the best answer: ask ICBC. 604-661-2800.

Nssan 11-30-2012 12:04 PM

File to the adjuster that you have appointments for 'usually' how many hours per instruction per day , and times by hourly charge, then there you go!

bcrdukes 11-30-2012 12:16 PM

^
This is correct.

She will have to prepare a schedule or at least records indicating how often she is using the vehicle for lessons. It's best to have records dating back as far as 3 months in order to calculate a reasonable average. Otherwise, without proper written proof, it's just hot air to ICBC and the reaction I believe from the adjuster will be exactly this: :fuckthatshit:

kkttsang 11-30-2012 01:55 PM

ICBC | Accident Benefits
Posted via RS Mobile

falcon 11-30-2012 02:43 PM

n/m

racerman88 11-30-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8094954)
^
This is correct.

She will have to prepare a schedule or at least records indicating how often she is using the vehicle for lessons. It's best to have records dating back as far as 3 months in order to calculate a reasonable average. Otherwise, without proper written proof, it's just hot air to ICBC and the reaction I believe from the adjuster will be exactly this: :fuckthatshit:

The more information you can give them, the better

bassistb 11-30-2012 10:34 PM

Hire a lawyer