REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Question about Ski Goggles - ie. Are mirror lenses bad for overcast days? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677372-question-about-ski-goggles-ie-mirror-lenses-bad-overcast-days.html)

TheKingdom2000 12-01-2012 03:31 PM

Question about Ski Goggles - ie. Are mirror lenses bad for overcast days?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two sets of goggles. I've looked online and I can't really find an answer.

One has a heather/bronze tint with silver mirror
On Sale Spy Targa II Goggles Black Hip Heather/Bronze w/ Silver Mirror up to 45% off

The other has a bronze lens
On Sale Spy Targa II Goggles Space Out/Bronze Lens up to 40% off

Which one would be better for over cast days or night boarding? Or would it matter much. I would prefer to get the first goggle (as it's more plain), but the silver mirror thing is kind of throwing me off.

Thanks.

bcrdukes 12-01-2012 04:42 PM

Much like bicycling glasses, mirrored lenses are preferred for sunny conditions. For overcast days or night boarding, you will want something that is lighter in colour. As per the Spy Optic FAQ section on their website:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyOptic.com
Spy has a wide range of lenses for every condition imaginable. In general, the best all around sunglass lenses are gray or bronze. Gray has the truest color while bronze enhances colors and offers outstanding definition and depth perception. In low light conditions (overcast, snowing), lens colors such as clear, persimmon (orange), yellow and rose are the best. We also offer mirrored lenses that are best for the brightest conditions. - Source: http://www.spyoptic.com/faq

Also, see the image as posted on SpyOptic.com in reference to snowboarding goggles:

Hope that helps!

TheKingdom2000 12-01-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8095936)
Much like bicycling glasses, mirrored lenses are preferred for sunny conditions. For overcast days or night boarding, you will want something that is lighter in colour. As per the Spy Optic FAQ section on their website:

Hope that helps!

That helps immensely!!! I tried navigating their website, but I couldn't come up with anything. Thanks a lot.

bcrdukes 12-01-2012 04:48 PM

Their website is a little difficult to navigate. I won't lie.

But for their price point, their products and customer support is amazing. Don't be afraid to e-mail them. Somebody from their headquarters in California will reply, and it's usually somebody who is heavily involved with the product itself, not just some minimum wage customer service rep.

TheKingdom2000 12-01-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8095942)
Their website is a little difficult to navigate. I won't lie.

But for their price point, their products and customer support is amazing. Don't be afraid to e-mail them. Somebody from their headquarters in California will reply, and it's usually somebody who is heavily involved with the product itself, not just some minimum wage customer service rep.

Solid, thanks.
I just emailed them, but I doubt i'll get a response in time since I need to order by tmrw to get the deal. I'm probably just going to go with the bronze with no mirror tint.

TOS'd 12-01-2012 08:48 PM

but mirrored lenses look awesome~

:cool:

bcrdukes 12-01-2012 08:50 PM

Bronze is always a safe bet. Unless you're hitting the slopes when it's extremely sunny, you'll be glad you didn't get a tint because it DOES make a big difference in how much light is transmitted through the lens. The best part is at least you can purchase replacement lenses from Spy Optic for $25-$30. They're durable enough to slip into a zippered pocket and easy enough to swap if/when you need to.

For reference, my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses I use for cycling are a Red Spectra mirrored lens. They're awesome when it's super sunny out (re: summer only) but in the evening when the sun is setting or when it's cloudy, it kinda sucks where dark things only get darker, making it dangerous for myself and I wish I either had a yellow, red, or clear lens.

TheKingdom2000 12-01-2012 08:56 PM

Haha yeah, I wouldn't mind a pair of mirrored lenses. I'll definitely just pick up a pair/lens if I end up going a lot.

I think for now the bronze will work great. Especially since i'll be hitting the twilight hours more this winter break.

bcrdukes 12-01-2012 09:25 PM

You're going to really like their Scoop Ventilation system on the lens. They live up to their claim as long as you're moving. Once you're standing still, they will fog up (all brands do) but they clear up instantly once you get going again!

skiiipi 12-02-2012 07:07 PM

Some "mirrored" lenses will actually help improve contrast on cloudy days
Such as Oakley's hi-intensity yellow, or Hi-intensity persimmon
While other "mirrored" lenses are for brighter days..like emerald iridium, or fire iridium

Then there are cheap goggles that paints on a mirror coating just for looks. Those does nothing but reduce opitical clarity.
Posted via RS Mobile

racerman88 12-18-2012 06:32 PM

for overcast days you want something with a persimmons lens. The orange lens. That helps to brighten up everything

vitaminG 12-19-2012 04:13 PM

i think i will be buying these too now, thanks op

TheKingdom2000 12-19-2012 04:24 PM

I ended up going with the bronze...
Anyway, used them twice and they're awesome. they don't fog which is so crucial.
I guess their air flow system is legit.

Thanks for all the responses
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 12-19-2012 08:23 PM

^
Glad you liked them! I just bought a few pairs of their lenses for my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses and they rock! :D

TheKingdom2000 12-19-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8111396)
^
Glad you liked them! I just bought a few pairs of their lenses for my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses and they rock! :D

Where did you buy your lenses from? I'm thinking of buying a yellow lens or clear lens.

bcrdukes 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

I simply ordered them from Spy's website direct and had them shipped to my place in Los Angeles.

TheKingdom2000 12-19-2012 10:05 PM

Oh icic. Cool thanks.