REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Canadian youths stressed about money & careers (video clip)‏

Canadian youths stressed about money & careers‏

We live in a country rich with resources and a small population, university should be free for the better advancement of our people... but watching the CBC news, it sounds like our economy could tank like USA.

What kind of debts and stresses are members here experiencing?
Myself I dont have any major debts but in return Im a bum.

On another note, a couple of video clips of where the wealth is going.

Majority of Canada's 100 richest get richer (video)
PressTV - Majority of Canada's 100 richest get richer: Report

Canadians call for increased state control of natural resources (video)
PressTV - Canadians call for increased state control of natural resources
Advertisement
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
We've taken on a whole fuck load of foreign funds injected straight into our real estate vein, expect the market to crash in about 4-5 months. (It's already starting)
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

"Youth of today have it more difficult than their parents"

kind of agree but disagree at the same time..
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
I agree.. back then when people work hard they make big bucks, but nowadays even if you work hard you might not make it. - quote from my gramps
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

It sad seeing people go to university without much financial help, having to rely on student loans, only to get out into the workforce after 4-5 years and realizing that you're still almost unemployable. I hope that's not what happens to me, but I've already got a few friends who've come out and ended up working a random desk job that has nothing to do with a degree that most anyone could snag.

Tuitions fees are high out here, and coming from a middle class family without a lot of disposable income makes the debt run high. I think about how in debt I'll be after 5 years... It's daunting and terrifying. Here's hoping that Geoscience stays strong.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Totally different world nowadays. Definitely tougher competition than before, imo.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
10psi aint enough...

Yes, this generation does have it difficult and struggling than our parents' generation. But dont forget that even back then, it was even harder for our parents. Back in 1985-86, my family purchased a vancouver east side piece of land and tore it down (old house) and built a new vancouver special house for our family. Now, it was roughly $400,000 (roughly, maybe a bit more) and this was also a lot of money! Mortgages were needed and rates were high. Family had to work more jobs to support and save whatever they made to make ends meet...all to support us and the next generation (hopefully).

Now when you think of it now, that sounds so cheap! Wow, $400,000 for a house/property etc....compared to at least $1 million. Cant really say foreigners bought up the market prices but in fact land is expensive and we are running out so having a detached residence is harder (land value). So the next resort is buying apartment or condo (attached residence), however buying a van west side apartment starts at $$259,000 and thats a bachelor suite. And slowly into the $300-$400,000 gets you a larger 1 bdrm and maybe den. And a 2bdrm + den might be close to $500,000 or more (depending which project we are speaking of).

Its no clue that everything nowadays is expensive, from eats - clothing - homes - gas - taxes - cost of life overalll but remember that economy is changing and that will not change. Life evolves and doesnt stop...

What advice can anyone offer? No one knows but just try to save as much as you can I guess...
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

↑ that was the most useless shit i`ve ever heard hondaguy
tseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

The system is designed to keep people living in servitude with inflationary and deflationary schemes... have a look at this chart. It may be harder today because there are more slaves to compete against or that the system is more fine tuned.

This is not a balanced economy or way of living. Fuck if Im going to spend 20-30 years of my life working to own a box.

These two comic book videos show how the system is purposely broken.

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 12-04-2012 at 03:31 AM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
This video was posted in the powerful pictures thread and is so true.

murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
Yes, this generation does have it difficult and struggling than our parents' generation. But dont forget that even back then, it was even harder for our parents. Back in 1985-86, my family purchased a vancouver east side piece of land and tore it down (old house) and built a new vancouver special house for our family. Now, it was roughly $400,000 (roughly, maybe a bit more) and this was also a lot of money! Mortgages were needed and rates were high. Family had to work more jobs to support and save whatever they made to make ends meet...all to support us and the next generation (hopefully).

Now when you think of it now, that sounds so cheap! Wow, $400,000 for a house/property etc....compared to at least $1 million. Cant really say foreigners bought up the market prices but in fact land is expensive and we are running out so having a detached residence is harder (land value). So the next resort is buying apartment or condo (attached residence), however buying a van west side apartment starts at $$259,000 and thats a bachelor suite. And slowly into the $300-$400,000 gets you a larger 1 bdrm and maybe den. And a 2bdrm + den might be close to $500,000 or more (depending which project we are speaking of).

Its no clue that everything nowadays is expensive, from eats - clothing - homes - gas - taxes - cost of life overalll but remember that economy is changing and that will not change. Life evolves and doesnt stop...

What advice can anyone offer? No one knows but just try to save as much as you can I guess...
You could always move to Alberta
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
the prices of everyday items little by little over the years yet our wages raised very little.. the reason for the little wage increase (non-specialized jobs) is because of the foreign workers.. lots of immigrants move here need jobs and will take on job at lower rates, this drives down alot of shops wages...

I dont doubt that our economy will go down.. the question is how bad and how fast.. Im sure it wont be like the US...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
We've taken on a whole fuck load of foreign funds injected straight into our real estate vein, expect the market to crash in about 4-5 months. (It's already starting)
im no real estate expert, but people have been trying to time the market crash here in vancouver for years.
i agree it will continue to soften but a crash in 4-5 months? people have been predicting stuff like this forever.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
the prices of everyday items little by little over the years yet our wages raised very little.. the reason for the little wage increase (non-specialized jobs) is because of the foreign workers.. lots of immigrants move here need jobs and will take on job at lower rates, this drives down alot of shops wages...

I dont doubt that our economy will go down.. the question is how bad and how fast.. Im sure it wont be like the US...
Well, in this city, people are paid below market wages. But, companies will pay what they can get away with until people start leaving in droves.

University degrees are not for everyone, but there's no excuse for you to be sitting on your ass when you're young. Upgrade your skills, or get out there and hustle.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I already have my own mortgage and no house to show for it.

I manage it by having a good job and sacrificing certain things so I can receive some more.

It's really not difficult, people are just bitches about it all.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death.
Everybody knows we live in a city where inflation is sky high, wages are below the national average, and a good chunk of university grads are heavily under-employed.

[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post

quoted. will check back in 5 months.
#realestate #crash

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
This video was posted in the powerful pictures thread and is so true.

Why I Hate School But Love Education||Spoken Word - YouTube
I only watched the first part, but I have to say this. University is for learning and people need to stop thinking its to enable them to get a job. It doesn't guarantee you anything.

edit: I am talking more about universities in general, not vocational schools like BCIT.

Secondly, all those people in the video have all done great things. How many people will ever be like them? For instance, Zuckerberg and Gates are both Harvard drop outs and showed promise early. How many people do you know that can even get in Harvard in the first place? or had a grand plan by 18? The only message I will agree with in the video is that there are different ways to learn.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 12-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
quoted. will check back in 5 months.
#realestate #crash
when people walk away and leave their 100k deposit on their condo's what does that tell you?

They are rich enough to walk away, and to realize that the risk and headache is too big for the amount they will lose on the completed unit.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
^ x2 @ bing

Don't go into school expecting to get a job right at graduation. It's a place to learn and to better prepare yourself for your desired field. One thing I've noticed, especially by just seeing random posts in Facebook and other social mediums, is that a lot of people go to school with no idea what they want to do, so they just go into courses that are either easy or sound good. Before you go to school, do your research and find out if it's even worth pursuing. See what sort of jobs are available, where they are, and what the requirements are. Yes, chances are there will always be a need for skilled trades people, but there are a lot of, well, let's call them imported workers, that do everything they can to undercut prices until they're operating on a razer edge profit margin. That, in turn, drives down the prices of properly skilled labourers in an attempt to stay profitable. Even then, by the time you're done school, the market may have taken a nosedive for your field. Hell, the field of study I'm currently in school for may not even be as big of a market by the time I'm out.

Kinda random comment here, but too many kids are taking arts degrees in fields that will very rarely amount to anything useful. And then they complain that they can't find work. I wonder why...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #21

Vancouver was rated as one the top cities for startups in the country/North America. I don't dabble with people in the startup industry much (though a friend's spouse develops mobile apps for a living and makes so much money that my friend doesn't even have to work), but there's a lot of small-scale entrepreneurship in this city.

Social media is huge in this city too. An Arts student can get paid for writing thoughts containing 140 characters. That's a bit ridiculous when you think about it, but it's surprising that a lot of organizations still don't understand how to do social media and that it's here to stay. There are others who have made a living blogging.

My point is that there's opportunities out there - people just have to get out there and find them or make up their own jobs.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Vancouver was rated as one the top cities for startups in the country/North America. I don't dabble with people in the startup industry much (though a friend's spouse develops mobile apps for a living and makes so much money that my friend doesn't even have to work), but there's a lot of small-scale entrepreneurship in this city.
I just read an article in the Vancouver Sun that said Vancouver is terrible for startups, because we have a giant Venture Capital gap here. No one wants to invest.

Vancouver venture capital gap: all brains, no bucks
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
^ x2 @ bing

Don't go into school expecting to get a job right at graduation. It's a place to learn and to better prepare yourself for your desired field.
Yeah but some schools will help more than others. I remember many recruiters making frequent visits to my BCIT classes in my last term. A lot of my classmates got jobs right away.
I had my job lined up before I graduated, but that was through my own contacts.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah but some schools will help more than others. I remember many recruiters making frequent visits to my BCIT classes in my last term. A lot of my classmates got jobs right away.
I had my job lined up before I graduated, but that was through my own contacts.
Oh absolutely. There are plenty of companies out there that will recruit students even if they're still a year or two away from graduating, provided they show promise. I was aiming that comment more towards students who are in random studies where unless you're showing some exceptional skill, the chances of being cherry picked by a recruiting company is pretty much nill.

When I went to school back at Capilano 11 years ago, I learned nothing. And I literally mean that. I knew everything the teachers were talking about through my own personal experience. The only reason I was there was to get a piece of paper to prove that I knew what did. The plus side to going, however, is that I gathered a lot of contacts for the industry through fellow classmates... and that certainly paid off in spades.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I just read an article in the Vancouver Sun that said Vancouver is terrible for startups, because we have a giant Venture Capital gap here. No one wants to invest.

Vancouver venture capital gap: all brains, no bucks
Yeah, you're right that venture capital has dried up, but I was referring to small-scale entrepreneurship. Check out Vancouver is Awesome's 50 influential Vancouverites - half of them run companies I've never heard of. Either they're all being financed on lines of credit or home equity, or they're doing something right (after all, they can seme to afford the hipster clothes).
Posted via RS Mobile