REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Employment Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/employment-resources_154/)
-   -   Temporary Lay Off (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677551-temporary-lay-off.html)

Holeshot 12-05-2012 03:55 PM

Temporary Lay Off

I got laid off, but temporary lay off. :okay: I've only been with the company 3 months. They laid me off the day i passed probation. EI?
So what's different that a regular lay off? Do they have to hire me back when business picks up again?

Matlock 12-05-2012 04:14 PM

Aren't these questions that you can ask your employer?

Spoon 12-05-2012 04:17 PM

If you can't even be bothered to check Service Canada. Perhaps there's a reason you're in this situation ...
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 12-05-2012 04:24 PM

As resourceful Revscene is, I honestly don't understand some of the questions people ask here. It's actually quite alarming.

Help, my toilet is leaking! Help RS!
I got a ticket for breaking the law! Help RS!
I want to buy a BMW, and want to know how much the options cost! Help RS!

:facepalm:

Holeshot 12-05-2012 04:36 PM

Well you guys are not much help. I'm asking cause service canada is closed right now and i've looked on their site with little success.
Obviously you guys don't know.

bloodline129 12-05-2012 04:40 PM

Have u accumulated 900 working hours this year? If not, good luck getting EI, temporary lay off makes no sense to me. Is the company unionized? Cause they would have to bring u back before they can hire new unless ur lay off lasts longer than a specific amount of time.. Don't know how long though. Contact ur employers HR and look into it.
Posted via RS Mobile

vafanculo 12-05-2012 05:05 PM

What line of work? For example, something like tax workers get a temporary lay off every year.

If you're a chef, it would be a different situation
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 12-05-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holeshot (Post 8099481)
Well you guys are not much help. I'm asking cause service canada is closed right now and i've looked on their site with little success.
Obviously you guys don't know.

Then you either spent 2 seconds total on their website, or you absolutely fucking fail at everything, forever, which is why you were laid off. The answers are on the website, try a key word search. Are you new to life?

XplicitLuder 12-05-2012 10:48 PM

last time i got laid off i looked up into EI..and apparently you need to have worked there for about a year. Youre pretty much SOL and should prob find a new job

DragonChi 12-05-2012 11:00 PM

Iceman-19 12-05-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8099846)
last time i got laid off i looked up into EI..and apparently you need to have worked there for about a year. Youre pretty much SOL and should prob find a new job

Negative, its 900 hours, which has already been mentioned in this thread, and is easily found on the correct government websites.

tiger_handheld 12-06-2012 09:29 AM

Eligibility - Employment Insurance Regular Benefits

if you are part of a group of people that got laid off because of shortage of work, Service Canada has a "job share" program that the employer can sign up on.

Best is to visit a SC office and talk to the attendant at the counter.

Iceman-19 12-06-2012 09:42 AM

My favorite part was him being too lazy to google, then he comes on here and calls us lazy when we won't do his easy research for him.

falcon 12-15-2012 01:40 PM

I went through a "temp layoff'' once and unless it's a contract job which states you will be laid off or you work in an industry like logging they can't list a temp layoff on your ROE. It's a bullshit way of trying to get out of paying severance.

You can apply for EI online at the service canada site but you will need to drop your ROE off at one of the locations. Easier to just go there and do it. It will take at least a month to get approved. When I was on EI once I didn't see a cheque for almost 3 months but they did backpay me. Took a while for them to approve my claim due to certain circumstances.

stewie 12-16-2012 02:59 PM

my employer lays off all the temps during the christmas season.

why?

after were working 1 full year straight, they have to roll us over from TFT (temporary full time) to FT workers and start giving us full benefits. so they lay off the temps a few weeks before christmas and rehire them back in mid january. it sucks...but its like a free vacation for the time being.

every year they maybe convert 1-2 TFT's into a FT worker. so you basically just have to have patience. i went through 3 temp layoffs before i became full time. but boy is it worth it!!!

cctw 12-22-2012 09:05 PM

hmm last time i called Service Canada about EI they told me the threshold number of hours changes every month. It was about 600 hours in June.