REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Prank call leads to suicide (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677635-prank-call-leads-suicide.html)

InvisibleSoul 12-07-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8101310)
You could make the same case about cyber bullying. Just because I tell a secret about the person and they kill themselves, is it my fault?

The DJ's went beyond a joke. Royal family...calling the hospital - (who really knew the severity of her health)......The DJ's should have at least had some foresight into the possible consequences of their actions.

You make an interesting point, but I don't see this being comparable to bullying.

It's hard to draw the line and make the distinction, but consider the following:

If a bully repeatedly and continuously taunts and torments the victim and the victim commits suicide, I won't argue that the bully is responsible.

But what if a stranger on the street calls the victim a bitch one time out of the blue, and that was enough for the victim to commit suicide, is that stranger responsible? I would have a hard time saying yes.

I would liken this situation more so to the second situation than the first, but even the second situation isn't quite representative of the situation.

A bully is victimizing someone on purpose. The DJs were playing a prank, but they had no intentions of actually victimizing anyone. It's unfortunate the call taker felt so bad about it that she committed suicide, but is it really their fault?

The DJ's should have had some foresight? I'm sorry, but there is nobody that could have predicted the call taker who transferred the call would feel so bad about it that they would commit suicide. No way in hell that could be thought of as a potential consequence. It's so far off in left field in the realm of possibilities.

subordinate 12-07-2012 04:13 PM

I hear you Invisible,

but factor in she was the target of a ton of humiliation when it was released. It's not simply the case of yelling "bitch" and that's it. It was on all the major stations, radio, papers, et cetera! I bet she was the jab of many jokes.

And by foresight, I didn't mean suicide. The Dj's should have knew that whoever took the call, could have been reprimanded for releasing such information.

falcon 12-07-2012 04:20 PM

Any of you guys every listen to Cpt. Scotty on the fox? he makes prank calls like this all the time and they are halarious. It's not the DJ's fault, it's the person at the hospital for disclosing the information. What make them think it was OK to give out info over the phone? Take for instance the Costal Health person here who looked up info on "local news people" and got fired. It's your own damn fault, and if this type of thing made you commit suicide, then... well, there were other issues or you were just a weak minded perosn.

drunkrussian 12-07-2012 04:26 PM

^unlike some posters im not against practical joeks or radio prank calls. however seems like some places like hospitals shd be off limits. also i absolutely hate it when innocent people are made to look like idiots. if it was a dodgy care salesman who is scamming people im all for it. but some innocent nurse who made a mistake and didnt do it on purpose? should not have been done live.

if she didnt die and if i didnt know it affected her would i feel this way? prolly not. unfortunately it often takes a sad incident for us to realize whats wrong and right
Posted via RS Mobile

InvisibleSoul 12-07-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8101364)
I hear you Invisible,

but factor in she was the target of a ton of humiliation when it was released. It's not simply the case of yelling "bitch" and that's it. It was on all the major stations, radio, papers, et cetera! I bet she was the jab of many jokes.

And by foresight, I didn't mean suicide. The Dj's should have knew that whoever took the call, could have been reprimanded for releasing such information.

She wasn't even the one who actually released the information! She just transferred the call to the nurse who eventually did!

Apparently she did not get disciplined for it, nor did the royal family make a complaint.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/wo...call.html?_r=0

twitchyzero 12-07-2012 05:37 PM

her name wasn't even released publicly....what humiliation?

StylinRed 12-07-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8101418)
her name wasn't even released publicly....what humiliation?

when the queen rubbed her face in the cyanide

rsx 12-07-2012 05:45 PM

dafuq, over the prank call...??

Meowjin 12-07-2012 08:18 PM

Why am I getting failed? Do any of you even work in hospitals to know that you DON'T disclose information over the phone unless requested to by the patient.

Why would the QUEEN be making the phone call herself?

bing 12-07-2012 08:55 PM

If the only reason that she committed suicide was because she transferred a call inadvertently, then she is quite selfish to do so being a mother of two.

I hardly find this a reason to die over.

StylinRed 12-08-2012 03:33 AM

Was just watching the news, not sure if its been mentioned, care too little to check, but the nurse that committed suicide wasn't even the one who disclosed information it was the first nurse that answered the phone and transferred the call

DC2aDDicT 12-08-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8101290)
you've got to be fucking kidding me she committed suicide?!

or did the queen have her killed, i wouldn't be surprised ;)

This.
Posted via RS Mobile

InvisibleSoul 12-08-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meowjin (Post 8101541)
Why am I getting failed? Do any of you even work in hospitals to know that you DON'T disclose information over the phone unless requested to by the patient.

Why would the QUEEN be making the phone call herself?

Again, she wasn't even the nurse that disclosed the information! She just merely transferred the call to the nurse that did!

westopher 12-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8101350)
If a bully repeatedly and continuously taunts and torments the victim and the victim commits suicide, I won't argue that the bully is responsible.

I have to disagree. People can easily remove themselves from a situation of the sort. Suicide is only caused by one person. If I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger, I am the only one that could have made that choice to pull it. I have a fairly calloused view on it though, and opinions are just opinions I suppose. Its a shame, but I don't believe the DJ's should be held responsible. I mean, it was dumb as fuck, and in poor taste, and they should be held responsible for that part of it, but how the fuck could they ever think someone would kill themselves over something so trivial.

lady_mapetite 12-08-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8101290)
you've got to be fucking kidding me she committed suicide?!

or did the queen have her killed, i wouldn't be surprised ;)

i wouldn't be surprised too but that would seem a bit overboard since it's not unknown to the world that kate is pregnant (i'd probably go after the DJs if i were her). now diana on the other hand is another story... 'you shamed charles and the royal family so i'll have you killed'

RIP to the nurse.. and i really want to give those poor children a hug for losing their mommy

i dunno how upset kate would be about this but i'd be really upset knowing that someone decided to end their life because of her and the unborn baby =(

westopher 12-08-2012 09:40 PM

No one decided to end their life over kate and the baby. Thats fucking ridiculous. Someone decided to end their life because they wanted to, and it was the perfect opportunity for a scapegoat.

saucywoman 12-09-2012 01:28 PM

As much as the result sucks, and I feel really sorry for the family, I don't think the djs are responsible. Sure they pulled a prank but I remember a certain dj in Kamloops doing the same prank calls and no one ever killed themselves. The situation isn't something severe enough to take your life over.
Posted via RS Mobile

geeknerd 12-09-2012 02:24 PM

isnt there some sort of law for impersonation to obtain confidential/private info...?

even identity theft maybe? use fake identity to obtain information that is relevant to the fakee's life??

Hondaracer 12-09-2012 04:28 PM

no offence but i have a hard time believing you "feel really sorry" for the family, im sure the thought will never cross your mind again a week from now.

geeknerd 12-09-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8102809)
no offence but i have a hard time believing you "feel really sorry" for the family, im sure the thought will never cross your mind again a week from now.

no offence but i have a hard time believing you "have a hard time believing" she is really sorry. im sure the thought will never cross your mind again from a week from now.

cant she feel sorry for the moment and not later for it to be genuine...

SkinnyPupp 12-09-2012 06:49 PM

To the people saying they "wouldn't be surprised" if the queen had her killed

Get your fucking heads checked :rukidding:

bing 12-10-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8101310)
You could make the same case about cyber bullying. Just because I tell a secret about the person and they kill themselves, is it my fault?

You can't compare one prank call that was intended to be for humor the same as a bullying incident.

Quote:

The DJ's went beyond a joke. Royal family...calling the hospital - (who really knew the severity of her health)......The DJ's should have at least had some foresight into the possible consequences of their actions.
I don't agree with your line of reasoning and I think it is only based only on your ability to understand the situation after the events unfolded (hindsight bias). No one can predict that a death could occur from this prank call or they wouldn't have done it. Would you blame the woman herself for not being able to see the consequences of her own actions by transferring the call without checking who it was on the phone? She made a pretty big assumption there herself based on some horrible impersonations. Even English common law, which is what Canada and the UK is based on, would disagree with you on the section on foreseeability (criminal law):

"a man should be responsible for the necessary or probable consequences of his act"... "judged by the standard of the reasonable man that he ought to have foreseen them". With your line of reasoning, we can apply that to a whole lot of situations.

We also don't know what else was going through her mind at the time, maybe she was already depressed or suffered from some kind of condition and this was the trigger. As someone mentioned, her name might not even have been released. My comment on her being a selfish person stands. If she let an incident like this make her kill herself, she is a weak human being. Most of the people that heard the show didn't even know who she was with her 2 second switchboard operator role, never mind any mental image of her. Now that she's killed herself she's done the opposite - how ironic, her name and picture are everywhere and that's how she'll always be remembered now.

edit: just saw your reply - you weren't very clear what you meant by 'consequences'.

Quote:

I would agree and I think this is more an ethical question, though not necessarily criminal. This incident has only served to indicate that the hospital needs to update their confidentiality policy and/or retrain some of the staff.

westopher 12-10-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8103148)
If she let an incident like this make her kill herself, she is a weak human being.

Everything can be summed up with this. IF she didn't kill herself this week, it would have happened the next when she came up to another inevitable speed bump in the road. Its to the point of where what happened and her death are barely more than a coincidence.

Nightwalker 12-10-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8101370)
Any of you guys every listen to Cpt. Scotty on the fox? he makes prank calls like this all the time and they are halarious. It's not the DJ's fault, it's the person at the hospital for disclosing the information. What make them think it was OK to give out info over the phone? Take for instance the Costal Health person here who looked up info on "local news people" and got fired. It's your own damn fault, and if this type of thing made you commit suicide, then... well, there were other issues or you were just a weak minded perosn.

Yeah, I love the Jeff O'Neill show!

I think the DJs are at zero fault, the people taking the call fucked up, and no part of any of this is worthy of a suicide but there it is.
I wonder how badly her boss chewed her out afterwards, maybe that was a factor when SHE DECIDED to kill HERSELF.

Nothing about Kate Middleton is worth any attention which makes this even more outrageous, she's just famous for being famous. Almost anyone with a decent job has done more with their life.

lady_mapetite 12-10-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8102332)
No one decided to end their life over kate and the baby. Thats fucking ridiculous. Someone decided to end their life because they wanted to, and it was the perfect opportunity for a scapegoat.

i meant it in an indirect way, the whole morning sickness and being admitted to the hospital was what sparked the prank call and subsequent suicide no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8103276)
Everything can be summed up with this. IF she didn't kill herself this week, it would have happened the next when she came up to another inevitable speed bump in the road. Its to the point of where what happened and her death are barely more than a coincidence.

i don't know if i'm understanding you correctly but you seem to have this notion that this lady is suicidal? why do you think it's inevitable that she'll eventually kill herself? there's been no reports/news saying that she is, unless you've read this in other sources (and if that is the case, please do share - i like to read about it too)

i also don't think people who are suicidal or planning a suicide would actually think about a "perfect opportunity" or finding a "scapegoat" for their deaths. suicide is a very private matter/decision and studies have shown that people with suicidal inclinations spend most of their time planning their departure (ie: giving away their most prized possessions, donating their assets, making sure family members and/or pets are being taken care of) hence i have a hard time understanding why this lady would kill herself, did she not think about the fact that her children would be without a mother? her husband without a wife? i understand people make rash decisions but in this case her decision makes me go "hmmm..." =\

anyway, we don't even know what the cause of death is at the moment, it's just being speculated that it's suicide. the police haven't provided much details as it's still investigating... in the mean time, i look forward to reading the results of the autopsy.