REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Canned Chrysler Workers Reinstated After Drinking on the Job (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677810-canned-chrysler-workers-reinstated-after-drinking-job.html)

Traum 12-11-2012 02:56 PM

Canned Chrysler Workers Reinstated After Drinking on the Job

And you wonder why people don't buy Chryslers... :concentrate:

Canned Chrysler Workers Reinstated After Drinking on the Job - WOT on Motor Trend
Quote:

Two years ago, Chrysler dismissed 13 factory workers – and suspended two – for drinking and smoking questionable substances on the job. Fast forward to today, and the very same workers are back on the job at the Jefferson North Assembly plant, Fox News reports. How did it happen?

Although Detroit local television station Fox 2 caught the accused red-handed, the workers filed grievances with the United Auto Workers (UAW) union in an attempt to get their jobs back. Chrysler then denied those grievances, and the decision was ultimately left up to an arbitrator who ruled in the workers’ favor due to “insufficient conclusive evidence to uphold the dismissals.” Whether Chrysler likes it or not, the workers are back building Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos at the plant.

“…Chrysler Group does not condone, in any way, this type of misconduct, but we’re in the tough spot of having to accept the arbitrator’s decision, just as the Union must when the ruling is in the favor of the Company,” Chrysler said in a statement.

GLOW 12-11-2012 03:05 PM

:lawl: at the comment

Quote:

Black Dynamite
4 minutes ago
They should spend tomorrow's lunch hour celebrating. Who's bringing the Absolut?
BD

Mr.HappySilp 12-11-2012 03:06 PM

LOL couldn't Chrysler say for example due to shortage of work we are laying you clowns off and let them go on EI? Or give them crappy shift (such as grave and weekends). I am sure in their contracts it must say something like you must comply with the company schedule and must be able to work all shifts.

sonick 12-11-2012 03:40 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/31718455.jpg

Phil@rise 12-11-2012 04:39 PM

thats bs

quasi 12-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8104437)
LOL couldn't Chrysler say for example due to shortage of work we are laying you clowns off and let them go on EI? Or give them crappy shift (such as grave and weekends). I am sure in their contracts it must say something like you must comply with the company schedule and must be able to work all shifts.

In many union environments you have to lay off from the bottom up. They would probably have to lay off everybody below them in seniority to make that work.

I agree though, laying off the dead weight is generally the way to go it doesn't get all messy with complaints of getting fired.

Noir 12-11-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

And you wonder why people don't buy Chryslers... :concentrate:
true, but if anything, all that article just did was make me anti-workers-union than anti-chrysler/jeep; although as per your sentiment, i still wouldn't buy a chrysler/jeep/dodge.

Traum 12-11-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8104540)
In many union environments you have to lay off from the bottom up. They would probably have to lay off everybody below them in seniority to make that work.

I agree though, laying off the dead weight is generally the way to go it doesn't get all messy with complaints of getting fired.

Usually, that kind of clause only applies to regular layoffs. For gross misconduct such as stuff like this, it'd be really pathetic if the same procedure is used.

Having said that, there are probably clauses written into the union contract that give workers second, third, and fourth chances even when something as pathetic as this happens. :failed: