REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Comic Books Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677999-comic-books-discussion.html)

DanHibiki 12-16-2012 06:24 PM

Comic Books Discussion

I know there are some comic book fans on this forum. Anyone reading anything good?

No comics have drawn me in as much as The Walking Dead. I just couldn't stop reading it and read 91 issues in days. It's a crappy feeling being caught up to issue 104.

I got back into reading some Marvel comics. Just finished House of M and moving on to decimation. After that I plan to read Age of Apocalypse before getting back to more recent stories.

I'm planning on reading Rising Stars and Y: The Last Man afterwards as I heard good things about them.

I do enjoy more down to earth comics than superhero comics it seems but I haven't really found any that interest me.

StylinRed 12-16-2012 06:35 PM

i downloaded a bunch of back issues to continue on from where i left off as a teen and it was nice to see what had happened from where i left off but after that i couldn't really get into the following story lines

i looked for some mini-series to read because i like something with a beginning and ending, read 1602 not so long ago and it was nice but other than that im the same just read the walking dead whenever there's a new issue and naruto too but im tired with how they drag it out

DanHibiki 12-16-2012 07:47 PM

I agree with reading comics that have a beginning and end.

I don't like how every major marvel storyline requires you to jump around to different comics. I also don't like how heroes who die always comes back to life eventually.

I really enjoy those one time spin off comics like The Dark Knight Returns where you don't need to jump all over the place not have to know what happened before that storyline.

I start house of m and was like "wtf. Magneto is a good guy again??? Emma frost leads the xmen?!?"
Posted via RS Mobile

JKam 12-17-2012 08:52 AM

I started reading the original Avengers.. started from #1 and I'm at #131 now. The story and dialogue is SO bad but I guess it's over 40 years ago haha.

I just finished "compiling" the major story arcs and titles up until 2009 or so.. I also hate how the major story lines jump around because it screws around with my reading order. Storylines should just be within one title!!!

And don't even get me started on DC. Their reading orders and titles are all over the place. It's impossible to find a starting point.

Stopped reading Naruto and Bleach 5+ years ago and I can't believe it's still going on. I mean.. just let Naruto be Hokage already (unless he is now?)!

importantLS 12-17-2012 10:25 AM

i can read manga online, but i can't seem to read comics hahaha so weird. i just started walking dead on volume 13 can't wait to catch up ive been buying volume after volome at a really fast pace.

anyways heres a reading order for some of dc
http://comics.apphb.com/

european 12-17-2012 11:26 AM

I stored all of my comic books a very long time ago and I haven't read a comic book in a long time but I've read a few graphic novels here and there. I know it doesn't really count as a comic book but the last one I read was Batman: The Killing Joke.
Its pretty sweet

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Killing-Deluxe-Alan-Moore/dp/1401216676
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6092/6...280ee7dfa1.jpg

Lomac 12-17-2012 02:26 PM

I used to collect and read comics when I was younger. I mainly read Spawn, Scud (see my avatar), and pretty much anything by Johji Manabe (Drakuun, Outlanders, Caravan Kid, etc). Oh, and Gen13. :lol

I enjoy comic books, but I'd bomb through a single book in minutes, so it just wasn't worth the money after a while. Nowadays I tend to buy entire Collection books. Sure, I don't get the neat cover art from each individual comic book, but it's a more worthwhile investment.

I did collect Spiderman for a while, though usually just the ones with the Venom and Carnage story arcs in 'em. Actually, Todd McFarlane's artwork in some of those series is what made me follow him when he helped form Image Comics.

murd0c 12-17-2012 02:40 PM

If you haven't seen the TV show Comic Book men watch it. It's about Kevin Smiths shop in NJ called the secret Stash and it's fricken awesome. I used to hang out at Madhouse comic's in Fleetwood when I was a kid and the show brings back so many memories. It's just like Pawn Stars but it's a Comic Book version.

importantLS 12-17-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8109250)
If you haven't seen the TV show Comic Book men watch it. It's about Kevin Smiths shop in NJ called the secret Stash and it's fricken awesome. I used to hang out at Madhouse comic's in Fleetwood when I was a kid and the show brings back so many memories. It's just like Pawn Stars but it's a Comic Book version.

is there a site its on? like bar rescue on spike.com

murd0c 12-17-2012 08:10 PM

I'm sure you can torrent them but heres the site. The last episode Stan Lee came in which was pretty cool

Comic Book Men – AMC

urrh 12-17-2012 08:21 PM

i agree that DC is a mess. seems like they're always rebooting their universe and then reintroducing the same things that made their universe not work in the first place. but i'll always read the batman comics.
on the marvel side, i can't read anything from before the 90s. the art doesn't work for me and the writing is awful. it's always a giant wall of text detailing every thought the character might have. stan lee was always guilty of this

DanHibiki 12-17-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by european (Post 8109118)
I stored all of my comic books a very long time ago and I haven't read a comic book in a long time but I've read a few graphic novels here and there. I know it doesn't really count as a comic book but the last one I read was Batman: The Killing Joke.
Its pretty sweet

Batman: The Killing Joke, Deluxe Edition: Alan Moore, Brian Bolland: 9781401216672: Amazon.com: Books

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6092/6...280ee7dfa1.jpg

It seems like they only make Batman graphic novels. ie. Batman: Year One, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, etc.

I hardly see any of these types of books for other superheros. The only other one I can think of is Ironman: Extremis.

JKam 12-18-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8109515)
i can't read anything from before the 90s. the art doesn't work for me and the writing is awful. it's always a giant wall of text detailing every thought the character might have. stan lee was always guilty of this

I agree the artwork is pretty bad and some of the gimmicks are even worse. One issue had Iron Man on rollerblades to make him as fast as Quicksilver :lawl:.
It's not THAT bad though. It's like I've entered a time warp, seeing how different the thinking was 50 years ago.

SkinnyPupp 12-18-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8108576)
i downloaded a bunch of back issues to continue on from where i left off as a teen and it was nice to see what had happened from where i left off but after that i couldn't really get into the following story lines

i looked for some mini-series to read because i like something with a beginning and ending, read 1602 not so long ago and it was nice but other than that im the same just read the walking dead whenever there's a new issue and naruto too but im tired with how they drag it out

Every once in a while, I think of doing the same thing. But then as soon as I start reading a comic, I want to facepalm...

Which is weird, because I usually enjoy comic movies like Batman and Spiderman (didn't like Avengers too much)

DanHibiki 12-20-2012 02:11 AM

Comics - Best of 2012 - IGN

Sounds like Batman The Court of Owls and Death in the Family were big hits for 2012.

6793026 12-20-2012 08:21 AM

OP: I read The Walking Dead when the first season came out, I read all 86 of them all in one day and it was freaking awesome I gotta say.

I read only one now... Tough. It's a manga and it's on volume two and I've been reading it for 2 years.
http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/6...01cover8ej.jpg