REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   car broken down in states (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678235-car-broken-down-states.html)

lilaznviper 12-22-2012 12:41 PM

car broken down in states

Quick question

has anyone's car broken down in the states? My cousins car broke down in the states and the engine blow on them. The fix would cost 3k and the car is not worth that much anyways. How would we be able to transfer the ownership and have it pretty much sold to scrap yard. Towing back to canada will probably cost way too much unless i can do it myself? Called my insurance guy and he has no clue...

jasonturbo 12-22-2012 12:52 PM

Well if he wants to leave the car there, he has two options:

1- Sell the car as "salvage" only, this might be a grey area thing to, years ago you could do it, and I'm sure that hasn't changed.

2- Take the car back up to the border crossing and export it properly.

Sucks to be your cousin.

dared3vil0 12-22-2012 02:27 PM

If you drive a truck, Rent a trailer and haul it up. If not, Borrow said truck and trailer.

murd0c 12-22-2012 02:38 PM

if you have BCAA it also works all across the US as well. If it's not far away from the border have it towed there. If you have a trailer you can tow it yourself with no issues at all, I have taken a number of vehicles across going on wheeling trips

lilaznviper 12-22-2012 03:53 PM

don't have BCAA. i asked my cousin if his cc has auto coverage. Car is at exit 208 area at a mechanic shop. He got quoted atleast 1k for labour and we have to find the engine to drop into it.

I was looking into renting a truck and trailer to do the tow but i read that i need to get permits in vancouver and washington to do so.

I'm going down to the states tomorrow to pickup his belongings in his car.

Anyone know any company that will be able to transport it back up here?

GabAlmighty 12-22-2012 04:18 PM

Rent a Uhaul and a trailer? I don't understand these permits that you need, cuz you definitely don't need any speical permits in Vancouver.

sean_latte 12-22-2012 04:26 PM

My car broke down the clutch was shot so I rented a Uhaul trailer used a friends truck then towed it back . When I got to the border I made sure I had my insurance papers ready showed the guy told him the car broke down just bringing it back he let me go no problems back in to Canada.

El Bastardo 12-22-2012 04:34 PM

I've left two vehicles in the USA and never had to deal with any sort of importation garbage. One scrap company I found on Craigslist wanted me to sign over the car as scrap material to them and they paid me $80 for the car.

falcon 12-22-2012 04:35 PM

Where is it exactly? That will depend on who I tell you to use for towing.

lilaznviper 12-22-2012 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I read online that i needed a permit to use a trailer to haul the car.
I'll do some more research as i don't want to get hassle by the state police.

lilaznviper 12-22-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8113646)
Where is it exactly? That will depend on who I tell you to use for towing.

car is in Arlington.

GabAlmighty 12-22-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 8113655)
Thanks for the info guys. I read online that i needed a permit to use a trailer to haul the car.
I'll do some more research as i don't want to get hassle by the state police.

I highly doubt that... Only times I've heard of needing permit for towing are when they are oversize.

Meowjin 12-22-2012 04:57 PM

Sorry, can't help it but "My car BROKE down"

falcon 12-22-2012 04:58 PM

My friend who is an out of province adjuster for ICBC and deals with bringing vehicles back to BC said to call Nicholson Towing.