REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Vegetarians, where ya at?

Are there any vegetarians on here?

What's your favourite place to go eat around town?

I'm personally not vegetarian but I went to give the Naam a try, pretty good food!
Advertisement
wontons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I'm probably the furthest you can find from a vegetarian.
But Foundation, their nachos...

I'd like to hear about your favorite vegetarian dishes.
Maybe something for me to learn a little.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I'm indifferent about the nachos at The Foundation. Then again, I wished that place never existed.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

I'm pretty far from a vegetarian too haha. It's just that the person I'm seeing is, so don't really have a choice but to cope with it.

Yeah I heard about Foundation, on main right? Read some reviews that their service was pretty crappy so I didn't try it yet. Was the service decent?

I got sesame fries with cheese and the miso gravy at the Naam. They really hit it with the cheese man. We also got the spinach pizza, again, heavy with the cheese. So satisfying.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
...I don't I've ever eaten a fully vegetarian meal in my entire life.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'm a vegetarian who has subjected friends to many meat-free establishments; I can say with complete confidence from that experience, a vegetarian or vegan dish will rarely leave an omnivore unsatisfied unless it is poorly imagined, executed, or both. I would encourage you to steer towards vegetarian dishes wiith eggs or cheese, or vegan dishes will have mushrooms or squash if you're an omnivore.

Often times the mark of a good establishment for a vegetarian is not that the menu is completely free of meat, but that it simply has more than 2-3 options without it. A few of my favourite places are Afghan Horseman, The Acorn, The Naam, Nuba, and Chutney Villa.

My current favourite, Heirloom Vegetarian, opened in October, I've been twice to date, and will be many more times in the future. There's not one thing on the menu I've not found to be outstanding, a few photos from their facebook page.

Creamy sunchoke, butternut squash baked mac & cheese

Beautiful fresh chard, roasted peppers & shallot frittata, with manchego cheese, seeded baguette and little greens salad.

Avocado Frites with house made smoked tomato ketchup.

White chia pudding, Greek yogurt, hemp hearts, bee pollen, pink pepper corns, simmered plums, tarragon

Warm spice cake, gingerbread anglaise, quince jam, candied ginger, maple
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm indifferent about the nachos at The Foundation. Then again, I wished that place never existed.
How come?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Although I think vegetarianism is stupid, there are plenty of good 'vegetarian' dishes out there... The worst is when they try to replicate meat... if you want to eat meat, eat fucking meat

But yeah, my favourite vegetarian dishes are probably chocolate cake, apple pie (although they must be made with butter so maybe that makes them non vegetarian).

Those avocado frites actually look damn good.. would try them but deep frying is kind of messy, and lard is really expensive here
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontons View Post
Are there any vegetarians on here?

What's your favourite place to go eat around town?

I'm personally not vegetarian but I went to give the Naam a try, pretty good food!
Definitely one of my fav places is Nuba. Their vegetarian dishes are amazing. (They also serve meet dishes too)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Although I think vegetarianism is stupid, there are plenty of good 'vegetarian' dishes out there... The worst is when they try to replicate meat... if you want to eat meat, eat fucking meat

But yeah, my favourite vegetarian dishes are probably chocolate cake, apple pie (although they must be made with butter so maybe that makes them non vegetarian).

Those avocado frites actually look damn good.. would try them but deep frying is kind of messy, and lard is really expensive here
You don't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
You don't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian?
Different levels of douchbagotry?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
How come?
Did I offend you? If so, I apologize.

Just about everything about The Foundation is wrong. From the food, to the culture, to the ass hatery that dump breeds.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Did I offend you? If so, I apologize.

Just about everything about The Foundation is wrong. From the food, to the culture, to the ass hatery that dump breeds.
Not at all, weird how it came across like that. Was genuinely curious.

Agree with the culture.. it's a little weird. It's a place that i'd eat at once a year, max.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

The Foundation is an establishment you either love and frequent, or passionately hate, I find.

I have friends who enjoy it, and I've taken a very brief measure of enjoyment in the culture the times I've attended; overall though, it's dirty, the food is sometimes good and other times awful, and the service is equally inconsistent. I really want to love The Foundation, but somehow my vote always ends up being for The Naam.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
resident Oil Guru

The Naam is awesome. So many good memories there. Just a great place to hang out and chill with friends... at any time of day..
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Personally, I love a lot of vegetarian and vegan cuisine, but I can't go for extended periods of time without meat.
Most Indian restaurants will have a good selection of vegetarian dishes--of course, a lot of the stuff will taste similar to meat dishes because of the other ingredients, but still, I hardly ever skip over the vegetarian sections of Indian menus.

The only beef I have with vegetarians is when people start associating vegetarianism with other things...it's a dietary choice for fuck's sakes.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm a vegetarian who has subjected friends to many meat-free establishments; I can say with complete confidence from that experience, a vegetarian or vegan dish will rarely leave an omnivore unsatisfied unless it is poorly imagined, executed, or both. I would encourage you to steer towards vegetarian dishes wiith eggs or cheese, or vegan dishes will have mushrooms or squash if you're an omnivore.

Often times the mark of a good establishment for a vegetarian is not that the menu is completely free of meat, but that it simply has more than 2-3 options without it. A few of my favourite places are Afghan Horseman, The Acorn, The Naam, Nuba, and Chutney Villa.

My current favourite, Heirloom Vegetarian, opened in October, I've been twice to date, and will be many more times in the future. There's not one thing on the menu I've not found to be outstanding, a few photos from their facebook page.

Creamy sunchoke, butternut squash baked mac & cheese

Beautiful fresh chard, roasted peppers & shallot frittata, with manchego cheese, seeded baguette and little greens salad.

Avocado Frites with house made smoked tomato ketchup.

White chia pudding, Greek yogurt, hemp hearts, bee pollen, pink pepper corns, simmered plums, tarragon

Warm spice cake, gingerbread anglaise, quince jam, candied ginger, maple
Wow, lots of recommendations. That butternut squash mac n cheese looks interesting. Going to add these to the list of restaurants to try with her. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
ive been to foundation 4 times, 3 times the service left me annoyed.
few times they took like 15m to take my order, and when you want another drink they arent to be found.
i get it, its a hippie stoner type attitude and thats why everything is so slow and they dont give a shit, but thats not really a way to run a restaurant.
no intention of going back there.

i went to panz last week. it was really good chinese vegetarian. would recommend this one.
Panz Veggie Restaurant
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Definitely one of my fav places is Nuba. Their vegetarian dishes are amazing. (They also serve meet dishes too)
i've been to nuba, absolutely delicious
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

The Parker is the newest addition to my list of vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver to try in the near future. It opened in September, but between the opening of Acorn and Heirloom, I totally missed it until reading a couple Year End' style food blog posts. It looks like a very small place with an even smaller menu, and ample size cocktail list. Interesting.

Has anyone tried it?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
resident Oil Guru

I plan on going there one of these days.

My least favorite place is Organic Lives.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The vegetarian cafeteria at the Buddhist temple in Steveston is really good.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
resident Oil Guru

It's a different kind of vegetarian. I haven't been there in years, but do they still serve the fake meat stuff?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
I don't get it

Theres no vegetariens here because nobody here is a hippie
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontons View Post
I'm pretty far from a vegetarian too haha. It's just that the person I'm seeing is, so don't really have a choice but to cope with it.

Yeah I heard about Foundation, on main right? Read some reviews that their service was pretty crappy so I didn't try it yet. Was the service decent?

I got sesame fries with cheese and the miso gravy at the Naam. They really hit it with the cheese man. We also got the spinach pizza, again, heavy with the cheese. So satisfying.
i went to the naam today with my gf today based on your recommendation..
not a vegetarian by any means but the spinach pizza (called the popeye i think) was actually very good. i think for me the key with veggie dishes is cheese if it's got enough i can overlook the absence of meat.

the fries were not bad too but the pizza was way better. also got something called a golden bowl i think. has tofu and assorted veggies with potatoes and cheese. wasn't that great. 3 dishes was way more than both of us could eat ended up not finishing up the bowl and getting it packed.

the only item i really recommend would be the spinach pizza. other than that i found vegetarian food really isn't for me.. i found myself wishing for some pepperoni on the pizza
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote