REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
CFA Society

Hi,

I am currently a first year student at Queen's School of Business, hoping to land a career in institutional or private client asset management. I read that a CFA seems to be a requirement to get into asset management or portfolio management, and since I am just a first year student, qualifying for a CFA is too early for me. This summer I will be gaining some experience in investment management through a summer analyst position with Sun Life Financial in Ontario. There, I will be learning and assisting the management of a part of senior financial advisors' books, and I'll know further whether it is a career I would like to go into.

However, I was just wondering whether you guys see any benefits in joining a CFA Society (in Toronto in my case, since I am studying in Ontario) as an associate member, which is a membership for people who do not qualify for a CFA but would like to be part of their "society". I guess benefits really are getting access to their news feed and other coverages as a financial analyst. I would just like to get some opinions from people who are part of this society and any other benefits for joining this society (both personally and in the eyes of future employers).

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...

Last edited by cliffhanger33; 12-26-2012 at 10:40 AM.
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
If it allows u to network and is normal for ppl at ur level, then yes

I would think, as ur not even doing level 1, it's too early
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
If it allows u to network and is normal for ppl at ur level, then yes

I would think, as ur not even doing level 1, it's too early
Do you have any other suggestions, as a student, regarding steps to take in building a career towards asset management?

Thank you!
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Ya, ur a first yr in uni

Get good grades, make lots of friends/connections, join a bunch of societies and clubs

Most importantly enjoy ur time

Those really r the most serious and best answers
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote