REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
Declaring at the border

Found this article today.

Quote:
This month, BSOs in the Pacific Highway District conducted 93 seizures. Some examples are outlined below:

Douglas - Traffic Operations: On November 3, three Canadian residents returning from a day trip to the United States declared $100 worth of purchases, and they were referred for a secondary exam to verify their declaration. During the exam, officers found an undeclared designer purse valued at $12,328 with the receipt and packaging intact on the back seat of the vehicle. The purse was seized and an administrative penalty of $3,082 was assessed. Had the traveller properly declared the purse, she would have paid $1,479 in duties and taxes.

Pacific Highway - Traffic Operations: On November 15, a returning resident declared a purchase of a car to the primary officer for USD$27,000 and he was referred for a secondary exam to verify his declaration. The traveller eventually admitted that he had actually paid US$53,000 for the luxury vehicle. The car was seized for undervaluation, and once the traveller paid the duty and taxes owing on the amount that he declared ($3,186.20), plus an administrative penalty of $10,445.49 for the undervalued amount, the vehicle was returned to him. Had he properly declared the vehicle, he would have paid $6,149.65 in duty and taxes.

Abbotsford-Huntingdon Traffic: On November 16, a returning resident declared that he had purchased a motorhome for USD$168,000 while in the United States, and he was referred for a secondary exam to verify his declaration. The man provided a notarized Bill of Sale and Retail Buyer's Order from the seller for the declared value of $168,000, with a 0.00 value indicated for Less Trade In. However, the traveller eventually admitted to the border services officer that he had sold his old motorhome on consignment for $80,000 and that the seller gave him a "credit" of the $80,000 towards the new motorhome, but he did not include the trade-in value on the bill of sale. The man was arrested for undervaluation of the motorhome and the vehicle was seized. Once the traveller paid the administrative penalty of $53,698, the vehicle was returned to him. Had he properly declared the vehicle, he would have paid $12,521 in duties and taxes.

Douglas - Traffic Operations: On November 27, a returning resident declared to the primary officer that he had purchased a vehicle in the United States, and provided a receipt for $2,700. He was referred for a secondary examination to verify his declaration. During the examination, officers found an invoice in the vehicle for the amount of $27,000. When confronted with this information, the traveller admitted that he had created a false invoice so that he could avoid paying more in taxes. The traveller was arrested and his vehicle was seized. After the traveller paid $134.31, the duty and taxes owing on the amount that he declared, plus an administrative penalty of $13,296.84 for the undervalued amount, the vehicle was returned to him. Had he properly declared the vehicle, he would have paid $1,350 in duties and taxes.
Did you really think the border guard wouldn't be suspicious when you declare a $27,000 car as only $2700??
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Link to article? I love reading stuff like this.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

People try everything to save a few bucks. But I like how these people spend $10k + and then try and save a couple hundred in taxes.
anti_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Link to article? I love reading stuff like this.
same here

Border Briefs
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
I always declare full value and travel with a clean empty trunk
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Border Security, Canada/Vancouver edition is on marathon right now on National Geographic.

And something you can learn easily from watching that show is...Declare your stuff, really simple...
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
easy e

I always declare the correct amount. I still get searched. To their surprise, I was being honest, I am just a cheapo traveller.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
Border Security, Canada/Vancouver edition is on marathon right now on National Geographic.

And something you can learn easily from watching that show is...Declare your stuff, really simple...
Lol had that entire series recorded on PVR today...

Really great stuff, especially the YVR scenes of Chinese students trying to bring in chicken feet and other raw meat. One kid tried to throw away his meat items from his baggage but CBSA sees him, tells him to pick it up from the garbage bin, then charges him an $800 fine.

Epic shit. Although you do see the border agents let quite a bit of people through in a nicer manner, like the Filipino who didn't have to pay his $800 food fine, albeit for the confiscation of his cigarette cartons.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Reminds me of one time when we were going down to portland for 4 days as a family and we got asked how much money we were bringing with us. We told them appoximately $4000 total and we got sent inside, we waiting in the lineup for 30-45 minutes when it was our turn and the guard searched all handbags and wallets and he counted 4200 and he bitched us out cause we didnt count to the exact amount - WTF

Not 100% related but i'd though i'd share and see some opinions on this. Is it reasonable that guards can be able to take away almost an hour of your day only to count your money? Nothing illegal or anything i guess it was random but i was pretty pissed cause we were gonna be an hour late to portland in our limited time trip.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Reminds me of one time when we were going down to portland for 4 days as a family and we got asked how much money we were bringing with us. We told them appoximately $4000 total and we got sent inside, we waiting in the lineup for 30-45 minutes when it was our turn and the guard searched all handbags and wallets and he counted 4200 and he bitched us out cause we didnt count to the exact amount - WTF

Not 100% related but i'd though i'd share and see some opinions on this. Is it reasonable that guards can be able to take away almost an hour of your day only to count your money? Nothing illegal or anything i guess it was random but i was pretty pissed cause we were gonna be an hour late to portland in our limited time trip.
Their country, their rules.

You could have saved a whole lot of time by not travelling at all either but since you wanted and chose to go, you have to play by their rules. An hour out of your day isn't bad considering border lineups can be worse during peak hours.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Haven't you people heard of credit cards? $4k in cash? Why?

Also, follow these steps.

1. Answer in as few words as possible.
2. Look them in the face.

Where am I from? Richmond. How long was I down there? Two days. What was I doing? Vacation.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post

You're suppose to know exact amounts you're declaring or bringing with you.

Uncertain amounts bring you inside.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
Lol had that entire series recorded on PVR today...

Really great stuff, especially the YVR scenes of Chinese students trying to bring in chicken feet and other raw meat. One kid tried to throw away his meat items from his baggage but CBSA sees him, tells him to pick it up from the garbage bin, then charges him an $800 fine.

Epic shit. Although you do see the border agents let quite a bit of people through in a nicer manner, like the Filipino who didn't have to pay his $800 food fine, albeit for the confiscation of his cigarette cartons.
Yup, just be straight forward.

At least if you declare your stuff, at most is they take away whats prohibited, then you only lose some money from your items cause you didnt follow the law. If you get caught and didnt declare, you get your stuff taken away and a pretty hefty fine on top of that and maybe even get prosecuted.

Same idea as just jumping on the sky train without a ticket, but on an international level.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Some of these people are just plain stupid.

I can understand trying to pass something worth $100 for something like $85, but declaring hundreds on something worth tens of thousands?!?!

I always declare full amount, down to the pennies, and most often the border officer just wave me through. I have had occasions that I was about $1200 over my limit, and still just went through.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

It really is common sense, the examples from the article are pretty stupid examples

My rule of thumb is to always give the officer the amount to the penny
and when I hand over the passports, I make sure that the invoices are folded into the passport and when I give it to him, I remove the invoices and hand the passport over to him

regardless, the secondary searches can happen randomly as well
which is why I stated above to have a CLEAN TRUNK just in case.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Don't forget - if you get caught once, your future border crossings won't be fun either!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
It really is common sense, the examples from the article are pretty stupid examples

My rule of thumb is to always give the officer the amount to the penny
and when I hand over the passports, I make sure that the invoices are folded into the passport and when I give it to him, I remove the invoices and hand the passport over to him

regardless, the secondary searches can happen randomly as well
which is why I stated above to have a CLEAN TRUNK just in case.
ya, i do the same. clean everything thing out of the car that i don't need on my trip down.

those idiots should at least remove the price tag from the merchandise. thats what the highway rest areas are for

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Found this article today.

Did you really think the border guard wouldn't be suspicious when you declare a $27,000 car as only $2700??
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
ya, i do the same. clean everything thing out of the car that i don't need on my trip down.

those idiots should at least remove the price tag from the merchandise. thats what the highway rest areas are for
Yeah. If I'm in Rmd or Surrey and have my passport with me and I'm driving my work truck, I won't even bother going across for fuel cause I don't want to get hassled for the tools in the back, even though they're obviously used.

Honestly at the border goes a long way. It's amazing how people think it's their right to fly/drive through international borders, without being questioned/scrutinized.

I never gave much thought to people coming here to work illegally, til I saw how many people they send back on Border Security. Like, they applied for a work visa, got declined and came anyways....uhhh don't they think that information's on file?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

They should just have only female border agents from now on
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

RS is hitting jackpot the past two days
This thread and the Translink Compass card thread

...idiots
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

U declare everything and they still treat u like criminals. Innocent until proven gruilty rules dont apply to the cbsa agents when treating ppl. Bunch of assholes.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
U declare everything and they still treat u like criminals. Innocent until proven gruilty rules dont apply to the cbsa agents when treating ppl. Bunch of assholes.
That's my way of thinking about it and why I don't feel bad about lying. Border cops are such dicks so I don't feel like helping them out. Fuck 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Don't forget - if you get caught once, your future border crossings won't be fun either!
Not true.

All you gotta ask yourself is...do you feel lucky? Punk?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

dammm...
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote