REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   What won't you eat and why? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678752-what-wont-you-eat-why.html)

Vale46Rossi 01-10-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8124326)
Haven't tried really good fois gras. I haven't liked any of the liver I've tried before though, whether it's beef, pork, liver sausage.. I just don't like that texture or flavour.

One of my absolute favourite foods is goose intestines in hot pot... when it's really fresh, it has that crunchy texture, and is surrounded by all that fatty tissue that half-melts when you cook it in hot pot :sweetjesus:

Foie Gras is AMAZING!

Also fucking goose intestine is so friggen good, they have really fresh shit in Asia none in Vancouver.

I was in Fong Wing Kee in Hong Kong not too long ago... so damn good. Their satay for their hotpot soup is fucking amazing as well.

Nlkko 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8128410)
everytime im with a girl, they fucking love strawberries... am i the only person in the world who does not find them sweet/good at all!?!? They taste like fucking lemon... sour every time

Put strawberries in a glass.
Add sugar
Crush the berries up with a spoon
Add crushed ice
:megusta:

Spoon 01-10-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

everytime im with a girl, they fucking love strawberries... am i the only person in the world who does not find them sweet/good at all!?!? They taste like fucking lemon... sour every time !!!

Buy the organic stuff. I don't recall the name of the fruit stand, but wife bought some strawberries in Steveston/Richmond area and they were fucking fabulous. They only sell them when they're in season though.

Vale46Rossi 01-10-2013 06:02 PM

Ever tried dipping strawberries in raw sugar? So fucking good.

Dipping them in condensed milk is fucking amazing too.

jackmeister 01-10-2013 08:24 PM

Kimchi

Can't handle the smell of it, it's so bad I smell it when people had it an hour ago or were around people that did. I also don't go into Korean Restaurants voluntarily. I come out borderline racist but whatever.

european 01-10-2013 10:01 PM

Buy fresh strawberries from Krause farms. They are the best.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5159/7...552a1021ec.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5151/7...fc5f80f53d.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5275/7...9a76709553.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7...49ae1395f5.jpg

They have an amazing strawberry, raspberry, blueberry custard pie every summer! I buy 2-3 everytime I'm there in August. It's so damn good! I'll have to snap a few photos of it this year hah.

I don't like eating barszcz (Polish red beat soup aka borscht) kind of a popular soup in some European countries. My mother makes it a few times a year, especially during the Christmas holidays and I pass everytime I'm offered. I don't know why, i just don't like it. So I make myself tomato soup instead with lots of veggies and rice along with a very large plate of pierogis :)

miss_crayon 01-13-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 8124278)
I'm probably going to be failed for this..but strawberries. OMG, everything about it is just disgusting to me!!! The taste, the little seeds..the LOOK..LOL!! I remember going to birthday parties and passing on cake as a child if I saw strawberries on or in it. To this day I still avoid it like the plague.

Quote:

everytime im with a girl, they fucking love strawberries... am i the only person in the world who does not find them sweet/good at all!?!? They taste like fucking lemon... sour every time !!! Big turn off for me when i recieve some Chinese traditional cake that has strawberries outside as a topping and inside. Either throwing it on the side or giving it to my family.... o god the seeds outside :fuckthatshit:

You are not alone...

westopher 01-13-2013 08:07 PM

Allergic to nuts. Being a cook and being allergic to nuts is a fucking bitch.
Of normal food that I hate: Romaine lettuce takes the cake. I fucking hate it. Bitter, crunchy water. I know its a weird one.

Ikkaku 01-13-2013 08:40 PM

personally I find durian to be overly rich and sweet.

I won't eat bugs.

these days strawberries just don't taste the same as when we were kids (at least ones from the larger supermarkets).

Verdasco 01-13-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 8129072)
Ever tried dipping strawberries in raw sugar? So fucking good.

Dipping them in condensed milk is fucking amazing too.

anything in condensed milk is good :megusta: specially bread :joy:

but sugar? :suspicious:

Great68 01-14-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

everytime im with a girl, they fucking love strawberries... am i the only person in the world who does not find them sweet/good at all!?!? They taste like fucking lemon... sour every time !!! Big turn off for me when i recieve some Chinese traditional cake that has strawberries outside as a topping and inside. Either throwing it on the side or giving it to my family.... o god the seeds outside :fuckthatshit:

That's because most of the Strawberries in the store are shipped up from the states, where they were picked green before the sugars have a chance to develop. I agree they taste like shit, and I don't like them either.

But come June-July when the local strawberries ripen and go on sale, :sweetjesus: so fucking good like eating candy. I stopped at the local farm twice a week on my drive home from work to get them.

Tomatoes are the same way, they fucking pick them green so they taste like crap. It's why I like growing my own in the summer, properly vine ripened tomatoes taste sweet.

Great68 01-14-2013 08:00 AM

My entire life, I've never liked the taste of Cantaloupe or Honeydew melons.

I've eaten them both a bunch of times, and I've never really found them appetizing.

sonick 01-14-2013 03:52 PM

+1 on cantaloupe/honeydew and also add papaya to the mix. The texture and also the fact its only semi-sweet is kinda meh.

Also the shitty out of season farmed raw tomatoes. Barely any flavour just watery gelatinous tomato-flavoured water.

Senna4ever 01-14-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8131930)
That's because most of the Strawberries in the store are shipped up from the states, where they were picked green before the sugars have a chance to develop. I agree they taste like shit, and I don't like them either.

But come June-July when the local strawberries ripen and go on sale, :sweetjesus: so fucking good like eating candy. I stopped at the local farm twice a week on my drive home from work to get them.

Tomatoes are the same way, they fucking pick them green so they taste like crap. It's why I like growing my own in the summer, properly vine ripened tomatoes taste sweet.

Just as an FYI, strawberries do not ripen once picked - they are picked just before optimum ripeness but after they've reddened. That's why US strawberries are not as sweet as the local variety. Also, I suspect the US variety that we get here have been bred for maximum yield, and not taste.

This is also the case with many varieties of the tomatoes we get in supermarkets. They have been bred for maximum yield and not much attention has been paid to taste and (with tomatoes) colour. BC Hothouse tomatoes that have been ripened on the vine are the best alternative to growing your own.

SkinnyPupp 01-14-2013 07:18 PM

If you ever get the chance, try fresh Japanese strawberries... Believe me I know how good the local BC strawberries are, but the ones they grow in Japan are HUGE and juicy and sweet as fuck. Really expensive though...

Great68 01-14-2013 07:32 PM

The best strawberries I ever had were wild strawberries in Poland.

Tiny little things, but the most intense strawberry flavour you'll ever taste, and sweet too. Even better when they're made into a dessert perogi filling.

http://survival.strefa.pl/r/poziomka1-plo.jpg

Obsideon 05-26-2013 03:57 PM

I'll chime in ...

There isn't much I don't eat ... I'll eat ANYTHING ... and to a point, I have already devoured many weird things in my lifetime. I'll try anything once. (don't ask, you will be horrified)

What I really don't like and probably will never like:
Bitter Melon - I try to eat this once every year to see if I can "acquire" a taste for them since everyone always tells me it's good for me, and it is delicious if you like it, blah blah blah ... been 30 years running and ... nope.
Pumpkin - Can't stand the sickly sweet yet funky pungent taste. Hard to describe, but ya this one's a write-off.

Stuff I used to hate but now don't mind:
Chinese Mushrooms
Durian
Okra

finbar 05-26-2013 04:41 PM

Won't eat mangoes, it's volcanic.

^^ x2 on the wild strawberries, found a patch halfway up a Colorado mountain
:megusta:

rien 05-26-2013 04:58 PM

The only thing I can't eat is olives... I'm pretty sure they are what dry erase markers taste like.

I'll eat pretty much anything else. Life is easier when you're not a picky eater!

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-26-2013 08:18 PM

I will not eat anything that I have owned as a pet.

Except fish. lol, sorry fish.

godwin 05-26-2013 08:30 PM

You can get those here at Garden Works.. hardy buggers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8132565)
The best strawberries I ever had were wild strawberries in Poland.

Tiny little things, but the most intense strawberry flavour you'll ever taste, and sweet too. Even better when they're made into a dessert perogi filling.

http://survival.strefa.pl/r/poziomka1-plo.jpg

Xu.Vi 05-26-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rien (Post 8246525)
The only thing I can't eat is olives... I'm pretty sure they are what dry erase markers taste like.

I'll eat pretty much anything else. Life is easier when you're not a picky eater!

oh god, olives and licorice................:heckno:

snails 05-27-2013 09:19 AM

MUSHROOMS, oysters.. and anything that comes close to an expiry date...

its not the taste of mushrooms that gets me, just how they are grown.. Oysters can taste great, but again, the texture and knowing what it is bothers me... and i have my own place so i eat out alot, i tend not to trust leftovers or anything close to expiry lol

needless to say i waste alot of money on food...

murd0c 05-27-2013 09:51 AM

Tomatos, I'm alergic to fresh tomatos and will not eat processed either unless it's liquifed.

firebird79_00 05-27-2013 11:49 AM

Onions

Simply can't deal with them, smell of them makes me gag and if I actually eat it by mistake it will throw me completely off my meal.
Posted via RS Mobile