REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Piano lessons for adults (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678988-piano-lessons-adults.html)

Verdasco 01-10-2013 02:28 PM

Piano lessons for adults

i am very interested in learning the piano but as a college student,my wallet is not heavy :okay: currently taking courses and martial arts, i really want to learn how to play the piano so i can one day play famous artists songs. Anyone have suggestions for cheap and good private lessons??

edit: not too sure where to put this thread...

should i just learn basics myself first before spending money on lessons?? any insights from pros? :)

stewie 01-10-2013 02:41 PM

theres a house on my block that has a sign in their yard saying "piano lessons".

and i know one of my friends teaches private lessons.

would you like me to text her to find out prices? ive no clue what lessons go for so i dunno if her price is good or bad

Verdasco 01-10-2013 02:50 PM

depends on location and price :accepted:

JKam 01-10-2013 02:53 PM

Dunno if this is a realistic solution but try youtube. Everyone learns thing from there, I'm sure there's something for piano.

jakers 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

If it is just basics, pick up a few books yourself and start going through them. Unfortunately for an hour lesson in the higher levels of Royal Conservatory you're going to be looking at around $50 and up for the more reputable teachers around the Lower Mainland. I haven't had any experience teaching myself until about 3 years ago when I stopped taking lessons, however I am looking at starting them again soon as the music I am wanting to play is far too advanced for me currently.

stewie 01-10-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8128932)
depends on location and price :accepted:

just noticed your from richmond, this is from burnaby, so im guessing no dice due to location

CRS 01-10-2013 04:31 PM

If you want to learn how to play certain songs and don't really care for technique or reading...

Online Piano Tutorial for Popular Songs at OnlinePianist.com

murd0c 01-10-2013 04:31 PM

the Sandwich Nazi could prob hook you up :troll:

PJ 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakers (Post 8128963)
If it is just basics, pick up a few books yourself and start going through them.

This.

Your first few lessons would be spent learning notes and key fingering anyways. Might as well pick up a couple books for ~$20 and teach yourself the basics.

I'll go ahead and say there isn't THAT much a lesson can teach you. After learning the basics, it's 90% practice.

JesseBlue 01-10-2013 07:30 PM

i learned on my on using chorded technique....i don't know how to read notes but the chords are the key...

price is right...free!

wobuffet 01-10-2013 07:40 PM

as a piano instructor myself, i'd suggest you grab a few books or even online tips to start off first
and a piano if you don't have one already.
I teach a few adults myself and tbh, it really depends on you. people learn in different ways. some can learn on their own, some require the instruction of one who has lots of experience

feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

bcrdukes 01-10-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

If it is just basics, pick up a few books yourself and start going through them. Unfortunately for an hour lesson in the higher levels of Royal Conservatory you're going to be looking at around $50 and up for the more reputable teachers around the Lower Mainland. I haven't had any experience teaching myself until about 3 years ago when I stopped taking lessons, however I am looking at starting them again soon as the music I am wanting to play is far too advanced for me currently.

This guy is a fucking liar.

He plays at Carnagie Hall every Friday and Saturday night.

Jegz 01-10-2013 08:54 PM

I just want to pop a beaner and play some trance songs on the piano. Will taking lessons be worth it
Posted via RS Mobile

Volvo-brickster 01-10-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8128914)
i am very interested in learning the piano but as a college student,my wallet is not heavy :okay: currently taking courses and martial arts, i really want to learn how to play the piano so i can one day play famous artists songs. Anyone have suggestions for cheap and good private lessons??

edit: not too sure where to put this thread...

should i just learn basics myself first before spending money on lessons?? any insights from pros? :)

Whether you want to play classical music, top 40's sheet music, fakebook music etc etc etc playing piano is all about fingering ,technique and lots, LOTS of practice.

Don't expect to sight read piano and play two hands within a month.

Little kids starting off don't start reading or playing decent til around grade 5 with the RCM. Since you are older, figure at least 2 years if you are diligent.

Best bet, look on Craigslist for a cheap teacher or go to local community boards ( libraries or rec centers ) to find a local teacher to start.

If you have a real piano and live in an apartment your neighbors will hate you.

If you buy an electric keyboard, don't bother with anything less than a full size 88 keys.

If you have the patience and dedication to stick with it you will have fun.

Quote:

Unfortunately for an hour lesson in the higher levels of Royal Conservatory you're going to be looking at around $50 and up for the more reputable teachers around the Lower Mainland.

$50 is a steal and they are either very new , teaching kids , or are doing it just for fun.

Serious teachers are $75-$100 and grade 10- ARCT= $125-$200 an hour.

Verdasco 01-10-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jegglez (Post 8129239)
I just want to pop a beaner and play some trance songs on the piano. Will taking lessons be worth it
Posted via RS Mobile

are you my twin ?? :sweetjesus:

Grim 01-10-2013 10:40 PM

good choice man,
i wish i had taken the time to learn the piano.
i regret this daily..