REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Craigslist Fails (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679164-craigslist-fails.html)

donk. 01-25-2023 07:12 PM

Facebook marketplace is CL on steroids, it's like Autotrader with bots. Except somehow they are real people when you look at their profile

The amount of spam you get, trying to sell something on there is insane
"Hi is this available?"
Followed by tumbleweed for 95% of people

underscore 01-26-2023 06:51 AM

FB marketplace has by far the shittiest search system. They need to scrap whatever that algorithm is and just do a basic keyword search. I hate seeing a bunch of junk that doesn't match what I put in, then a week later on the main page something that didn't show up, but should've, is sitting there, posted a month ago. wtf.

sonick 01-26-2023 08:57 PM

Not a car related fail but this made me chuckle

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

Badhobz 01-26-2023 09:04 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/15mtsKBY/Capture.jpg

JDMDreams 01-26-2023 09:45 PM

What were you searching on FB:suspicious:

68style 01-30-2023 08:38 AM

I have always always always sold cars on CL... never on FB Marketplace... but there's been a lull the last 6-8 months where I wasn't selling anything and I suddenly have to sell a couple cars, I tried CL and got literally nothing. LIkewise I used to like selling cars on Seattle Craigslist because Americans pay more for cars and I'm used to selling to them now, it's pretty easy, so I tried that and not even 1 email after paying the $5usd to list a car there.

FB Marketplace I got like 30 inquiries/offers and a couple of serious buyers.

Seems the landscape has changed...

SSM_DC5 01-30-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 9088921)
What were you searching on FB:suspicious:

Probably looking for an interview couch

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9089113)
I have always always always sold cars on CL... never on FB Marketplace... but there's been a lull the last 6-8 months where I wasn't selling anything and I suddenly have to sell a couple cars, I tried CL and got literally nothing. LIkewise I used to like selling cars on Seattle Craigslist because Americans pay more for cars and I'm used to selling to them now, it's pretty easy, so I tried that and not even 1 email after paying the $5usd to list a car there.

FB Marketplace I got like 30 inquiries/offers and a couple of serious buyers.

Seems the landscape has changed...

I notice the same. Hardly any inquiries through CL. FB is loaded with the automated "is this still available" and when you answer it, they never respond back.

underscore 01-30-2023 10:31 AM

I slap big stuff like cars up everywhere. Craigslist, Kijiji, Facebook, and Castanet (local site). When I sold vehicles for myself and family a couple years back I sold one through CL, one through FB and one through Castanet so it seems kinda hit and miss.

320icar 01-30-2023 11:17 AM

I’m kinda long out of the game from selling stuff. The last few things were wheels (5x108) on Craigslist but I’ve never had an issue selling those mostly because it’s a rare bolt pattern, people always on the hunt.

When it comes to buying stuff, almost every single thing I’ve had to get for my STi has been on marketplace. I don’t have fb so it’s always a dance of getting a friend to message and text me etc. but wheels, exhausts, downpipes, bumpers etc all on marketplace

trollface 01-30-2023 01:21 PM

Dealing with FB:

1) Is it available? Is it available? Is it available? Is it available?
2) Ad says the price is firm. "Will you take XX?"
3) "My budget is only XXX." Like that's my problem
4) "I have to drive all the way from XXX." Again, that's my problem
5) Ad says located in XXX, pick up only. "Where are you located?"
6) "Give you XXX Cash." Like I was going to take KFC as payment
7) Can you deliver?
8) "Give you 50% of asking."
9) "Why do you want to meet at the bank?" Cuz I want to scam you for $30, what do you think?

95% of my responses are "Did you read the ad?"

I swear FB brings all the idiots to the yard if you're selling anything under $100. If your item is cheap, just donate it or throw it into the Fraser River (I kid), but selling cheap items brings out the sub 80IQ ppl with un-supervised internet access. Anything over $200, everything is super easy to deal with.

Pro tip, never go out of your way more than 5mins to meet for an exchange.

I've had three assholes pull the "OH GEE, I have no idea where the 5/10/20 dollars went; it was in my pocket!" I just stand there and let them put on a show, and if they stick to the story I say "Oh that's too bad", and get in my car. The cash always showed up in the pocket they were just looking in. Riddle me that.

I drove 3mins to get here, you drove for 45mins. I'm not playing this game. I stood there for 5mins one time watching an asshole pretend they misplaced 3 dollars.

68style 01-30-2023 01:33 PM

Haha the car I was selling and pulled the ad for because I was too busy... I was asking $8000 and I lost count how many "Will you take $6000" messages I got.

It's actually not a horrible offer to be honest, could probably negotiate something, but who offers 75% on a car they've never seen? I've been in the game long enough to know they get you to agree to $6k and then they actaully come to look at it and they start picking things apart on the car and go lower because $6k is the new ceiling price to them... so I just keep writing back "I only take offers in person from people who have seen the car" and don't hear back.

Also had one Chad who, when I looked at this profile has a Hyundai Veloster with the vents painted blue inside he sent me the "$8k for that trash? lol" type message in the middle of it hahaha ok bud.

Badhobz 01-30-2023 03:59 PM

Thus when my wife sold my bike, she over priced it by 125% to account for all the low ballers and we got the price we wanted. DansGame

underscore 01-30-2023 11:10 PM

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...gQ&oe=63DDC25D

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

BaoTurbo 02-01-2023 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9089139)
Haha the car I was selling and pulled the ad for because I was too busy... I was asking $8000 and I lost count how many "Will you take $6000" messages I got.

It's actually not a horrible offer to be honest, could probably negotiate something, but who offers 75% on a car they've never seen? I've been in the game long enough to know they get you to agree to $6k and then they actaully come to look at it and they start picking things apart on the car and go lower because $6k is the new ceiling price to them... so I just keep writing back "I only take offers in person from people who have seen the car" and don't hear back.

Also had one Chad who, when I looked at this profile has a Hyundai Veloster with the vents painted blue inside he sent me the "$8k for that trash? lol" type message in the middle of it hahaha ok bud.

Don't forget they might just ghost you even after you accept their offer.

Might even message you back "How about 4k?" LOOOOL

tegra7 02-17-2023 09:18 PM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh

dark0821 02-17-2023 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9089139)

ngl, a lot of those msgs are from car sales.

Because we also get paid for buy-ins, ofc they have to be a good buy

so what a lot of sales do and mass msg all the "normal cars" like civics/accords/altimas/corollas/mazda3s with a somewhat unrealistic offer

all they need is 1 desberate mofo who has had the ad on for the last 30 days and are just wanting to get rid of the car that day....etc etc...

Beats sitting at your desk and doing jack on a weekday, you never know...

320icar 02-17-2023 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 9091034)

Insane, of course it’s blue star motors. Why is it on runflat tires?

68style 02-18-2023 07:45 AM

2005 Celicas are actaully super super super rare, nobody seems to know the actual production numbers and a sales database says they sold 3,000 in 2005 but that included previous year models as well... supposedly they shipped about 100 of them to North America.

I wonder what Blue Star would do with my 2003 GT-S 6-spd that only had 83,000kms on it lol

320icar 02-18-2023 06:30 PM

Super super super rare ≠ desirable or valuable

68style 02-18-2023 10:02 PM

It will sell to someone with fuck off money who has a positive memory of one they used to own.

SkunkWorks 02-19-2023 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9091043)
I wonder what Blue Star would do with my 2003 GT-S 6-spd that only had 83,000kms on it lol

They'd just lowball you and then list for 3x what they bought it for.

They ghosted me when I was selling the E91. Same guy tried to buy my E46 few months later and denied he ever talked to me when I connected the dots lol

BaoTurbo 02-22-2023 09:58 AM

What's with people and couches lately on FB haha, just popped up on my feed after refresh

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9846805264103/

dachinesedude 02-22-2023 12:02 PM

you can hate FB marketplace all you want but that's where all the traffic is now; 9/10 messages are flakers/tire kickers but at least you get hits

Craigslist is pretty much dead, don't even bother with it anymore

Spoon 02-22-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollface (Post 9089138)
Pro tip, never go out of your way more than 5mins to meet for an exchange.

Pretty much this.

Time is money, so any ads I post always state that it has to be picked up. Only exception is when I'm out and I happen to be in the buyer's area. Much rather be ghosted while I'm WFH.

68style 02-22-2023 12:32 PM

I'm okay doing pickup for items because I live in a condo... address of building, not my unit, no big deal... I'd be much less likely to do that if it was my actual home