REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Suspicious Man around Oakridge Mall area (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679504-suspicious-man-around-oakridge-mall-area.html)

twitchyzero 01-22-2013 08:08 PM

i love it when you get people asking you spare change cause they need it for the bus

uhh...even if it was legit and you are so stupid to have used your change and forgot to leave some for transportation....who's fault is that?

Fcukedd 01-22-2013 08:12 PM

^ Happens at SFU as well. Goes from one student to the next who's sitting side by side :rukidding:

Worst thing about them is when you say no, they give you some bullshit pout and say its for the children and beg some more

Spidey 01-22-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8139608)
i love it when you get people asking you spare change cause they need it for the bus

uhh...even if it was legit and you are so stupid to have used your change and forgot to leave some for transportation....who's fault is that?

more like, worst case scenario, the bus driver would probably let you on anyways.

punkwax 01-22-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8139393)
people must have no common sense these days to even make a post about it so people are warned.... how many gullible people are out there? those who are "suckered" into giving their money to these cons, deserve to lose their money.

Speaking of which, I have some jade bracelets which possess magical powers that will bring you good fortune. Only 10K each for RS'ers. Tell your moms & G-mas to PM me for details.

yray 01-22-2013 08:26 PM

homeless guy at waterfront exit on hastings that asks for change, hes there for 10 hours daily M-F

great thing is he has seen me enough to avoid me :lawl:

Autorice 01-22-2013 08:51 PM

some young Caucasian male at 41st and dunbar said he needed to pay for gas and all he had was $100 usd and if I can spare $10. I told him I can break his $100 usd and then he began some BS story why he can't break the $100 then I said sure one second let me get my wallet. Started my car and left.

jjson 01-22-2013 09:56 PM

stuff like this happens all the time and everywhere. One time i was done getting smokes for coworkers from a gas station, some dude just came outta no where asking how to go to langley. I said I dont know and he goes about on saying him and his kids just got booted off the skytrain and got a fine and he needs money for the bus blah blah blah. I looked around and couldnt see any "kids" and I just got in my car and bounced. Don't get scammed people!
Thanks for the heads up OP! :)

Redlines_Daily 01-22-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8139393)
those who are "suckered" into giving their money to these cons, deserve to lose their money.

really, old gullible people with a kind heart deserve to lose their money?

Vale46Rossi 01-22-2013 10:10 PM

I remember a year or two ago there were an outburst of those Filipino women with those boxes saying that we need to donate to help and they are extremely pushy about it.

I decided to turn it around and ask them how can I help if I have no money, where can I volunteer and who can I talk to in order for me to volunteer and help with my bare hands.

She replied you have to be Filipino.... -.-

LP700-4 01-22-2013 10:27 PM

Whenever either of my parents get asked for change/money/donations they instantly go into full FOB mode and tell the people they "no english"

Works like a charm everytime. They just literally walk away :lawl:

iwantaskyline 01-22-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8139540)
Is that the "Won't someone PLEASE help me?! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE help me..." guy?

One of my friends used to work at Bay Sushi at Seymour and Georgia; he used to come in every day and get the most expensive stuff ($13-15 meals) in small change. She disliked him with a passion.

And while we're at it, I remember when I was filled with youth and bitterness, one of those guys asked me for some money for the skytrain; I smiled and chatted him up and told him I was going to Guilford too (I wasn't, but he was trying to get a 3-zone fare out of me, and I was like...fuck this shit), so I told him I'd pay for his ticket and he could join me for the ride. There was a not inconsiderable crowd, so he felt pressured to say yes. I paid for two three-zone transfers and talked to him the whole way to Guilford (random stupid shit and weather and what have you). As soon as we got there, I walked him out of the station, still chatting and turned around.
"Where are you going?"
"Back home, I just wanted to get you away from downtown where all the tourists and really gullible people are."

You wasted an hour of your life to spite a homeless guy? :rukidding:

Graeme S 01-22-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8139832)
You wasted an hour of your life to spite a homeless guy? :rukidding:

I was 17 and feeling in a jovially dickish mood.

geelaw 01-22-2013 11:49 PM

this reminds me, this lady asks me money for bus and she was short.. i didnt have any at that time, she then asks the person next to me. she also didnt have any.
but when the bus came.. she went on and paid for the bus.. :S lol damnit almsot got scammed

AzNightmare 01-23-2013 12:54 AM

I don't know if I'm a dick or something, but I stopped opening doors for people that knock or ring the bell.

I can't remember the last time I opened the door for some stranger, and it was actually worthwhile.

Like really... why do people even bother opening the door?
Even in worst case scenario, and someone really does need help,
people have cellphones to call for more appropriate help than knocking on people's doors.

bing 01-23-2013 01:10 AM

I have a policy of just saying to NO to everyone so I don't even have to stop and think about whether their story checks out.

I've also never been in a position where I didn't have cash/cards on me and ran out of gas.

entrax 01-23-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8139530)
wonder if anyone ever offered to help him fix his car or drop him off in abbotsford

i would totally do that just so they'd REALLY have no way to get home all the way from abbotsford :fullofwin:

asides from that. i'm filipino and live in the philippines for 10+years, and all of these posts regarding the aggressive begging by filipinos here, it's the same shit that they do back home. it pisses me off because they have no shame/consideration.

Mr.Money 01-23-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbaddie (Post 8139589)
Happens at UBC all the time.

Filipino women run around asking for donations. When you ask for a tax receipt, they say it will be mailed to you. Funny thing is, they don't even ask for an address :lawl:

i try ask if their daughters hot before i even give any change,if so...I ask for Pic's next :troll:

bartone 01-23-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8139774)
Whenever either of my parents get asked for change/money/donations they instantly go into full FOB mode and tell the people they "no english"

Works like a charm everytime. They just literally walk away :lawl:

reminds me of this clip from familyguy

Gridlock 01-23-2013 08:15 AM

I tried the same thing once. A guy was next to a pretty new jetta, and started with the sad story of out of gas, and his daughter is coming to the airport.

So I'm like, I'll give you gas.

"oh, well, it takes premium."

picky fucker. Ok. I'll follow you to the gas station and buy gas.

"well, I don't want to risk that you won't be there. And I only have just enough to get there."

Creative fucker.

So I say to him, "ok, you have a daughter coming in. Pretty important. Well, its your lucky day. I will drive you to the airport. Get your daughter and I will bring you back, and you'll have all kinds of time to solve this gas issue. You can go and get your wallet."

And its a no! Now we're worried about leaving the car there.

So another guy pulls up, and he starts going into the same speech with him. So I cut him off, "no my friend, you don't need his money. I have offered to drive you. You're good. But now you're being a little rude."

I can do this all day.

Amazing, his car sparked right up :)

dachinesedude 01-23-2013 08:43 AM

oh god i hated those filipino women during post-tsunami, they'd come into a resturant and ask for money while you were eating, say no and they just kinda stand there beside your table, you cant escape

pastarocket 01-23-2013 09:08 AM

Yeah, I've seen those Philippino scammers too. Heck, I just told them I'll report them to the police, and maybe contact Immigration.

They walked away from me really fast. :troll:

GLOW 01-23-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8139976)
Amazing, his car sparked right up :)

well played sir...well played...
http://www.cavemag.com/wp-content/up.../Wiserhood.jpg

iam_dan 01-23-2013 09:36 AM

i just gave him the bus pass because i didnt want to hear his garbage story anymore and just wanted him to leave lol.

however, just an update.. Jan 23, my gf says she hears noise around the outside of the house at 2:00am, and footsteps at her front door at 2:30.

gonna have to head over there for the next few nights with a baseball bat handy lol.
is there anything to do other than the obvious..? alerting neighbors, setting the alarm and notifying the police?

Ronin 01-23-2013 09:47 AM

I make no excuses. I usually just say no and if they ask why, I say I don't want to. Go cry to someone else nicer.

melloman 01-23-2013 10:07 AM

^^ I'm the exact same.

I'll give some change to homeless people once in a while outside the 7-11's.. But if you came up to me asking me for money, with a sob story. I simply say "Nope" and walk away.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...84/529/e65.gif