REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   employer refuses to pay wages (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679643-employer-refuses-pay-wages.html)

pb.kidz 01-25-2013 05:38 PM

employer refuses to pay wages

My dad works as an independent carpenter that was hired to do a job for an unnamed contractor, They paid him in checks that bounced and now the contractor is not answering phone calls. Him and his coworkers are left hanging, what kind of legal actions can we take? if the employer refuses to pay.

nabs 01-25-2013 05:39 PM

is there a contract in writing? the checks he wrote out to you can also be used as proof (contract) of the intention for payment. I'm not a lawyer tho unfortunately, don't know what u can do other than harass the hell out of him, that's what i used to do.

pb.kidz 01-25-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8142312)
is there a contract in writing? the checks he wrote out to you can also be used as proof (contract) of the intention for payment. I'm not a lawyer tho unfortunately, don't know what u can do other than harass the hell out of him, that's what i used to do.

There is no contract in writing,
He got 1 check the bounced and they still owe him more wage.
My dad and 3 other people are effected by this.
I called them and the guy said he doesn't know what we're talking about and is unresponsive to this matter.

GabAlmighty 01-25-2013 05:52 PM

Torch his car

GLOW 01-25-2013 06:00 PM

i assumed the independent contractor the GC and was going to suggest looking in to this:
Builders Liens

but there is no contract between the GC and sub in this case

CRS 01-26-2013 09:54 AM

Was your dad being paid under the table or the cheques have why he was getting paid?

Other than a verbal contract, was there nothing else?

zulutango 01-26-2013 10:37 AM

This appears to be a civil law matter so he should be talking to a lawyer to see what his options are.

Alby 01-26-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8142318)
There is no contract in writing,
He got 1 check the bounced and they still owe him more wage.
My dad and 3 other people are effected by this.
I called them and the guy said he doesn't know what we're talking about and is unresponsive to this matter.

why did your dad continued to work when the first check already bounced? should have waited to be cleared and got paid before proceeding. sadly, because there is no contract in writing, the chances of taking legal actions and winning is slim.

predom 01-26-2013 02:08 PM

*affected
Posted via RS Mobile

Jas29 01-26-2013 08:11 PM

I think his only option is to lien the property he was working on at least that's what happened to us when our GC did not pay the subs

our GC was bittu dhillion i would tell ur dad not to work for him ever or ask for cash upfront