REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   House and Home Renovations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/house-home-renovations_338/)
-   -   Security System Upgrade: Scam Or Not? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679905-security-system-upgrade-scam-not.html)

bcrdukes 01-31-2013 11:56 PM

Security System Upgrade: Scam Or Not?

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the best forum but was wondering if any of you in the security industry is aware of this.

Is it normal for security companies like ADT etc. to send representatives door to door to inquire about peoples home security systems and having to upgrade it every 3 years? I ask because some guy came to our house and entire block actually to ask about our security system. He asked some very detailed questions like which model our system was, where its located, and I'm like :suspicious: So I told him to leave because this was pretty sketch.

So...was this guy legit? Or likely a criminal at large? I called the police non-emergency line to be safe but no follow up.

SoNaRWaVe 02-01-2013 12:04 AM

that sounds really sketch. for example, lets say you were with ADT. ADT would have your model and where its installed on file wouldn't they especially if they installed the system for you.

i guess another way to approach it is to ask the guy for his ID and you call ADT's number and ask if the guy was actually employed/legit from their company.

bcrdukes 02-01-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8148088)
that sounds really sketch. for example, lets say you were with ADT. ADT would have your model and where its installed on file wouldn't they especially if they installed the system for you.

I was thinking exactly this. Why would they ask me? Shouldn't they already know?

Quote:

i guess another way to approach it is to ask the guy for his ID and you call ADT's number and ask if the guy was actually employed/legit from their company.
This. I asked for his ID and he just said "Look, sir. I'm just doing my job here. I don't want any trouble."

Fuq. Should have beaten this guy with a feather duster. :troll:

SoNaRWaVe 02-01-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8148090)
This. I asked for his ID and he just said "Look, sir. I'm just doing my job here. I don't want any trouble."

thats another thing, aren't those guys uniformed? there wouldnt' be trouble if he was to ID himself properly in the first place. takes like a few secs to provide a badge or something and nothing to hide if he was legit.

bcrdukes 02-01-2013 12:18 AM

No, he wasn't uniformed. Just dressed formally (sort of?) and had a portfolio with some papers, cards of some sort etc. None of the literature looked legitimate nor was it from ADT (he said he was a rep) but umm...yeah. I am certain he isn't. :pokerface:

SupraTTturbo2jz 02-01-2013 01:02 AM

hes probably one of those filipino beggers from superstore in disguise in a realistic looking mask.:badpokerface:

GLOW 02-01-2013 01:30 AM

Asking if you have a security system and location :lawl: I wonder how many people fell for it. Imagine if he asked for the password too to verify ADT has the right info :pokerface:

If it was legit it would most likely be a phonecall and them telling you what system you have and try to upsell you on a newer system I would think

Door to door would not seem cost effective or efficient

catalin 02-01-2013 07:46 AM

Should have asked him some questions like:

1. What is a good security system to him?
2. How does a security system work?
3. Would his upgrade be compatible with your large pittbull that roams the house?
4. Can the upgrade be incorporated with your basement dungeon? Would have been great if a friend or relative can be pounding at the basement door at this point.
5. Ask to refer him to a good friend of yours that has a large expensive leather and latex collection.

That would be fun.
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 02-01-2013 09:38 AM

Yeah, totally seems sketchy.

If they wanted to check the system or 'do upgrades' you would think they would call you to make an appointment or send a letter letting you know someone will be in the neighbourhood.

I'd call your security company as well to let them know.

Prolowtone 02-01-2013 10:25 AM

^ same, thats sketchy.

melloman 02-01-2013 10:48 AM

You should go buy some "Beware of dog" signs.. Sounds like this guy is definitely scoping out your neighborhood.

racerman88 02-10-2013 04:08 PM

sketchy for sure

Acura604 02-14-2013 10:46 AM

Speaking of security systems....and sorry to jack this...but thoughts on monitored vs non monitored?

A stand alone non monitored house alarm would be like any other car alarm ? As in 'no one pays any attention' to it?

pingu81 02-14-2013 12:10 PM

Non-monitored room means no telecommunications link to a Control Room or Monitoring Center. It will still "go off" when something "happens" but there would be no alert than an audible(siren) or visual(light) one.

BrRsn 02-15-2013 07:08 PM

dukes if you're scared just call me ... i'll be over in a heartbeat with my bat and a bag of white chalk

... the bag of white chalk is for the intruder. I don't let nobadday near my boo nom sayin:hotbaby:

Manic! 02-16-2013 09:00 AM

You still have is card? Might be a good idea to report it to the cops.