REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Dealer Review/Feedback (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680153-dealer-review-feedback.html)

slicrick 02-06-2013 04:52 PM

Dealer Review/Feedback

I am soon to be buying a used car something older something cheap just to get me around reliably till I have earned enough money to support a project or nicer car, and was wondering what are some good lots/places to go.

I know that it depends how much your spending, where and what your buying but this is just a test/idea for a thread that could maybe help a few people or prevent multiple of the same threads being made

The idea of this thread is to give your feedback and or experience with a dealership and or shop that you have bought or had something done to a car and describe the good and bad things about buying from the place you bought from

(please try not to argue or turn this into a flame fest because you didn't agree with someone's opinion or had a bad experience with a said dealership)

I have never bought a car from a dealership yet but have worked at few so I know at least a bit about them but for example ill use where my dad bought his truck

Ocean park Ford - 2005 Ford Ranger fx4 68,xxx KM's bought in 2008, now has 90k so far so good

--Good--

Great service
Friendly staff
No surprises so far
Lowered the price to what he thought was fair
Set of new tires and brakes for free when purchase was complete

--Bad--

Salesman seemed a little uninterested (probably use to dealing in much higher priced vehicle)
Though they lowered the price it was still up there

Overall

a great experience have had no problems with the vehicle or dealership, seemed like there was a premium to buy from them but they settled on a fair price for a clean vehicle which has treated my dad very well. Dad said he would buy from them again

(if there is any thread like this or anything let me know and i can delete this one)

SpeedStars 02-06-2013 05:30 PM

Personally, I'd stick with manufacturer dealerships (Honda, Ford, Chrysler) but they usually charge a bit more for the car compared to various used car dealerships ( this may be because the cars there are usually in much better shape ). I have yet to encounter a used car lot with minimal rebuilt/out of province vehicles. PS: It's best to stray away from those Kingsway dealerships :troll:

slicrick 02-06-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8153322)
Personally, I'd stick with manufacturer dealerships (Honda, Ford, Chrysler) but they usually charge a bit more for the car compared to various used car dealerships ( this may be because the cars there are usually in much better shape ). I have yet to encounter a used car lot with minimal rebuilt/out of province vehicles. PS: It's best to stray away from those Kingsway dealerships :troll:

I agree, I had a few family members that were in the business for a while and have heard all the horror stories. paying the extra the extra few thousand is worth it, all it takes on a few of the cars you might buy off a kingsway or king george used car lot is a few repairs and you could of bought a nice clean one from a reputable dealer

This thread was made for people like me that can't afford late model cars (only 18 and don't want to go into huge debt) :okay: more for people looking around at mid or late 90's cars or that just want info/reviews on a certain dealer

Gazorcoop 02-07-2013 08:12 AM

It's hard to find a reputable dealership selling a 90's car for a reasonable price. They're either dirt cheap because they're crap, or they're expensive because they're 'decent'.

I would go on Craigslist and find a deal there. Have a mechanic inspect it beforehand.

slicrick 02-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazorcoop (Post 8153859)
It's hard to find a reputable dealership selling a 90's car for a reasonable price. They're either dirt cheap because they're crap, or they're expensive because they're 'decent'.

I would go on Craigslist and find a deal there
. Have a mechanic inspect it beforehand.

that's what I did, for 1400 I bought my 97 explorer its pretty rough around the edges and has lots of cosmetic issues, only blows hot air not cold most door handles don't work and so on but it runs and for now that is good enough till I have enough money for something better