REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Pain in lower back when stepping of left food (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680184-pain-lower-back-when-stepping-left-food.html)

iKayChow 02-07-2013 08:30 AM

Pain in lower back when stepping of left food

So early back in January, I played as a goalie for the first time in a ice hockey game. Did some thorough stretches before the game knowing goalies pull things easily. So during that game, pretty much when I was in the "ready" position my lower spine/back began to burn up and hurt. Don't think I pulled anything yet and it only hurt for a while. Weeks later now I'm just walking normally and whenever I walk I would feel a surge of pain in my lower back near the tailbone when my left foot made contact on the ground.

Went to see the family doc, they are getting x-rays done to see if any fractures... he also suggested seeing a chiropractor, which I am now seeing but doesn't seem like she sees anything that could be troublesome down there..

Been stretching the area for the past few weeks hoping it will get better but no luck. Any health & wellness experts out there that can help me out?

Spidey 02-07-2013 08:32 AM

try not to step on food

On a serious note, why would you take advice from people on a car forum over your family practitioner/ chiropractor?

iKayChow 02-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8153874)
try not to step on food

On a serious note, why would you take advice from people on a car forum over your family practitioner/ chiropractor?

step on food?

Because my family doctor doesn't know what is wrong. Just called and the x-rays showed nothing. The chiropractor hasn't seen anything there and is more focused on aligning my neck... so what I believe is now soft tissue damage or something... and generally people who do a lot strength training etc may have some input in some of their remedies in resolving this, since weight lifters would probably experience similar pains.

Excelsis 02-07-2013 09:25 AM

sounds like you got a sciatic nerve problem..

Spidey 02-07-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8153892)
step on food?

Because my family doctor doesn't know what is wrong. Just called and the x-rays showed nothing. The chiropractor hasn't seen anything there and is more focused on aligning my neck... so what I believe is now soft tissue damage or something... and generally people who do a lot strength training etc may have some input in some of their remedies in resolving this, since weight lifters would probably experience similar pains.

I don't think there is that much similarities between weight lifting and goal tending. Weight lifters, if they are lifting weights properly, shouldn't experience any back pain. You should see a physiotherapist. If it is a soft tissue thing, there isn't a timeline for it to get better. With that said, it shouldn't take a long time either... it's not like it is whiplash. My GUESS would be possibly sciatica...

you typed FOOD in your subject title.

vash13 02-07-2013 09:31 AM

Give me a call or a text. I am a knesiologist who works at a clinic. Will pm my number to you. Hopefully I can shine in.
Posted via RS Mobile

Jer3 02-07-2013 01:23 PM

sounds like what i had but mine was much more severe since i wasn't even able to get out of bed. it could possibly be a disc issue.

my doctor thought what i had was just a pinched nerve but ended up being a herniated disc causing a pinched nerve. xrays will not show anything so ask your doctor to schedule a CT scan (it might take a few weeks to get one). in the meantime i recommend going to see physiotherapist so they can get you on some stretches/exercises and advice to deal with it.

if you have any ongoing pain or numbness, look into getting acupuncture as well. hopefully your covered by extended benefits cause this all of this stuff does get very expensive.

G-spec 02-07-2013 01:29 PM

I been off work for almost 2 weeks now because of nerve pain in my lower back, I been dealing with this for many years now, happens once every few months... it's genetic, I get it from my dad, nothing I can do about it except rest it....

When ice and stretching doesn't work, then it's not muscles or ligaments that's the problem, and you got some kind of nerve issue down there... mine didn't appear until my early 20's, so yea it can come out of nowhere like that....
Nothing conventional works for nerve problems except rest, it's the only thing that works..

Worst it ever hit me was a few years ago when it managed to move in and around my abdomen groin area, and also up the spine all the way to my neck, so when I would try to move my head at times it literally felt like I had broken my neck in that instance, the only time I cried in my life was that day, that's how severe nerve pain can get it's absolutely ridiculous.... I was in bed almost motionless for a week

iKayChow 02-07-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8153905)
I don't think there is that much similarities between weight lifting and goal tending. Weight lifters, if they are lifting weights properly, shouldn't experience any back pain. You should see a physiotherapist. If it is a soft tissue thing, there isn't a timeline for it to get better. With that said, it shouldn't take a long time either... it's not like it is whiplash. My GUESS would be possibly sciatica...

you typed FOOD in your subject title.

whoops. me = :failed:

rsx 02-07-2013 06:09 PM

Had the same problem a few days after I hit the gym, finally went to the doc and he said it was a slipped disc pinching or hitting the sciatic nerve.

Went to rmt, physio and those didn't do shit. Finally went to Chiro (scary experience) and it took 2 sessions. I visited around 5 chiros before I felt comfortable with the one I chose. Chiro said that, if other chiros recommend more than 5+ sessions, be weary.

Spidey 02-07-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 8154397)
Had the same problem a few days after I hit the gym, finally went to the doc and he said it was a slipped disc pinching or hitting the sciatic nerve.

Went to rmt, physio and those didn't do shit. Finally went to Chiro (scary experience) and it took 2 sessions. I visited around 5 chiros before I felt comfortable with the one I chose. Chiro said that, if other chiros recommend more than 5+ sessions, be weary.

That is a good point with respect to Chiros. Unless you are going routinely for a "tune up" due to your lifestyle, if you are going to the chiro and do not see/feel improvement after about 3 sessions, it obviously isn't working.

Excelsis 02-07-2013 09:03 PM

OP you can do energy work to speed up recovery

iKayChow 02-07-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 8154528)
OP you can do energy work to speed up recovery

what is energy work? not getting a good sense of what it is through googling besides some chinese thing.... (no racial comment intended)

Recon604 02-07-2013 09:40 PM

do some stretch excerises like this one

it helped me a lot with my lower back

slowboi 02-08-2013 02:30 AM

I would recommend finding a good acupuncturist. I have found that modern physiotherapy is really just a watered down version of traditional chinese medicine. I have had issues with slight nervouse system injuries and minor sports injuries and usually it takes my acupuncturist three sesions to heal me completely. My Blue cross plan covers it 80% too.....

slowboi 02-08-2013 02:32 AM

Further to that if the x-rays came back negative a good acupuncturist would deffinitely be able to help you out. I would recommend a traditionaly trained one rather than a cross trained physio..... just my opinion.

iKayChow 02-08-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon604 (Post 8154584)
do some stretch excerises like this one

Piriformis Stretch For Back Pain and Sciatica...Done Right! - YouTube

it helped me a lot with my lower back

holy **** either that video will help or im gonna have a bad day, have triedthose kinds of stretches before and dayam lifting my left leg up hurts

amazes me how unflexible i am compared to that guy :alone:

van_city23 02-10-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash13 (Post 8153906)
Give me a call or a text. I am a knesiologist who works at a clinic. Will pm my number to you. Hopefully I can shine in.
Posted via RS Mobile

I was going to same something similar. See a physio or along that route, one that works with athletes and not just a regular one or a regular chiro. You would be surprised at the lack of knowledge they have when it comes to sports and comparing you to a normal person. A lot of the injuries that occur through sports, an experience phsyio can do much much more because lower back issues also involve the abs and hips.