REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I got my first traffic violation ticket....fcuk

First of all, i am a mature driver with 10+ years of driving exp and never receive a driving violation ticket in my life. (Probably just being lucky) I admit I did wrong

I picked up my car today from Surrey, so I did a little bit of spirit driving on my way back to Richmond. Apparently there was an off duty cop caught me in the act of excessive speeding.... He wrote down my license plate and waited for me to get home at night then gave me a big fat ticket.

-Speed against highway Sign 146 (3)
-Follow too close by 162 (1)
-Change lane without signal 151 (c)

The total comes to about $350

My only concern is, how is this going to effect my insurance discount rate? I asked the cop he said he's not sure if it will be effected.
Advertisement
hkRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
I don't get it

That's not a fat ticket at all lool.... It won't affect it insurance... Prior license renewal u will have to pay off your points what come with the ticket
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
You got it good.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

ICBC | Driver Penalty Points premium chart

8 pts total... so even if you don't get anymore VT's until your next renewal, you will have to pay ICBC 520 bucks on top of the fines
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
That's not a fat ticket at all lool.... It won't affect it insurance... Prior license renewal u will have to pay off your points what come with the ticket
Posted via RS Mobile
if he has to pay off the points, then wouldn't you say that is DOES affect his insurance
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
You got it good.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

ICBC | Driver Penalty Points premium chart

8 pts total... so even if you don't get anymore VT's until your next renewal, you will have to pay ICBC 520 bucks on top of the fines
Sigh, lesson learned. This totally ruin my day lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
dispute it, cop might not show anyway
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
if he has to pay off the points, then wouldn't you say that is DOES affect his insurance
I'm confused, so does it affect my insurance rate?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
So you're saying that an off duty cop went out of his way to make sure you got a ticket?
And he cited you three violations? Generally, if you were simply speeding you would have only gotten that citation.

The fact that he cited you two more times indicates to me that you aren't as innocent as you want us to believe.

I have been rushed or under the gun as well, but if i'm rushing to my destination I still make sure I signal and leave enough space between me and everyone else. Just because I'm in a rush, doesn't mean I forget the rules of the road. As far as I'm concerned, you deserved the tickets and the fines. This is solely based on the fact an off duty officer felt the need to get off his fat ass to give you a ticket. This tells me you must have been driving irresponsibly.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
So you're saying that an off duty cop went out of his way to make sure you got a ticket?
And he cited you three violations? Generally, if you were simply speeding you would have only gotten that citation.

The fact that he cited you two more times indicates to me that you aren't as innocent as you want us to believe.

I have been rushed or under the gun as well, but if i'm rushing to my destination I still make sure I signal and leave enough space between me and everyone else. Just because I'm in a rush, doesn't mean I forget the rules of the road. As far as I'm concerned, you deserved the tickets and the fines. This is solely based on the fact an off duty officer felt the need to get off his fat ass to give you a ticket. This tells me you must have been driving irresponsibly.
i never said i was innocent, maybe u should we read my post again. I just want to know if it will affect my insurance premium.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Quote:

he never said he was innocent. A LOT of people fail to signal, even though it only takes a flick of a finger.

After you pay off your points, there are no other fees additional to that.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
It does not affect your insurance premium.

ICBC assesses a penalty based on the points that you have to pay before you can renew your insurance, but it won't affect the amount of your insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Oops, nevermind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:

he's not denying that, he just wanted to know how much more of a hit he'll face
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

You'll get points if you pay. So not only will you have to pay the fines from the ticket, ICBC will fine you after 4 points and will continue to do so until 15 points. At that point your license must be surrendered. I'm around 8 points right now, and disputing 2 because the cop was treating me like a criminal. So no your insurance wont be affected, i.e your premiums wont go up. So if you pay off the ticket, you'll also get a fine by ICBC for $520 with your 8 points the day after your birthday. Then you have 2 choices, Pay the fine or surrender your license for 6 months for half the payment, or 1 year for a full payment.

But I agree with Firebird, dispute all and any tickets. There's a chance you'll never have to see a court date, or the officer might not show up, or at least a reduced fine. Worst case scenario that I know of is you lose the case, and have to pay a $30 something fee for the court time.

That being said. This is what I think I know. But I recently talked to ICBC about the points in person. and even if you pay it, It stays with you for 5 years until they remove it from your record to the public.
MaxinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #15

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
If you were going +40 over the speed limit, I'd count your blessings as your day could have been much more worse...I'd even say you were lucky.

That being said, it does seem like a dick move.

It technically doesn't affect your insurance rate, but you'll have to pay the $520 as showed on the DPP, to ICBC. One-time penalty thing.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #16

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
what are the rights of an off duty officer anyway? I got pulled over by one driving in a Prelude before, he showed his badget and claimed he could issue me a ticket and put anyone in jail bla bla bla, but that one just left with a verbal warning.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It happens, the 68 year old guy I work with got his car impounded and an excessive speeding ticket this summer on hwy 1 coming to work in the morning. Happened on a Friday, was a 7 day impound but they don't release the car on the weekends and the Monday was a stat. He ended up losing his car for 10 days then they charged him extra for the privilege of keeping it those extra days.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #18

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
You are right. You did admit you were at fault.
I guess I just got irritated because I hate drivers who drive reckless or obliviously.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

You should at least dispute it to get the chance to have then waive the points. If he doesn't show, plead not guilty. If he does show, plead guilty and request the fine be lowered and points removed. None tones out of ten you'll leave the court house with a minimal fine and no points on your lic.
Posted via RS Mobile
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I believe you're charged base on your points for the next 3 years.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
lol you must have been driving like a total wanker to have an off duty officer actually take the time to write down your plate then come personally serve you with a ticket that night and charge you with three separate things.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
was it the same cop who was off duty and then write you the ticket? if it was two separate officers, i'd dispute since both will have to appear in court for the charges to stick. your chance of escaping is much higher.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkRicer View Post
I picked up my car today from Surrey, so I did a little bit of spirit driving on my way back to Richmond. Apparently there was an off duty cop caught me in the act of excessive speeding.... He wrote down my license plate and waited for me to get home at night then gave me a big fat ticket.

Huh? he wrote down your plate number, found out where you live and went your house, and waited outside?

WTF?
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
lol you must have been driving like a total wanker to have an off duty officer actually take the time to write down your plate then come personally serve you with a ticket that night and charge you with three separate things.
It is the same cop cause he said he saw me speeding and changing lane without signaling on hwy 1. He said he was originally planning to give me 6 citations and impounding my car. The first question he asked me is if I could speak English
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Huh? he wrote down your plate number, found out where you live and went your house, and waited outside?

WTF?
Yeah that's exactly what happened.