REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   How old to get a business license? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680430-how-old-get-business-license.html)

dared3vil0 02-13-2013 02:54 PM

How old to get a business license?

Does anyone know how old you need to be to get a business license in Burnaby? A friend and I went to apply and they denied us saying we need to be 19 (we're 18) and when we asked them to show us where it said we have to be 19, they refused. What options do we have? We called the small business information center of BC and they confirmed 18, But the licensing office at city will not accept this, and will not show us any paperwork saying we need to be 19, They just said and i'm quoting "we just had a discussion, It is 19"

BrRsn 02-13-2013 03:03 PM

Legal age is required to enter into a contract
IIRC it's age of majority
in BC that's 19.

dared3vil0 02-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8159048)
Legal age is required to enter into a contract
IIRC it's age of majority
in BC that's 19.

Business license doesn't fall under that afaik.

1exotic 02-13-2013 03:23 PM

They are right, you need to be 19.

FerrariEnzo 02-13-2013 03:48 PM

this is a good place to start, if you havent, already

OneStop BC Business Registry

BTW, if the city say so, its pretty much final, because they are the ones approving you.. try not to piss them off...

Graeme S 02-13-2013 03:53 PM

+1 to FE. In googling, I didn't find anything one way or the other, but if they say you can't, you can't.

Looks like you've either got to get a parent to sign up, or wait another year.

freakshow 02-13-2013 03:58 PM

What kind of business are you starting?

PJ 02-13-2013 04:01 PM

I'm 99% sure you only have to be 18 to incorporate.

Are you guys registering as a corporation? or partnership/self-prop?

tiger_handheld 02-13-2013 07:19 PM

you can start a sole proprietorship without any docs. call yourself "First Name Last Name Consulting" or "First Name Last Name"

If the business takes off by next year - get a paper and make it official. At the end of the day, not a single bank will give you anything based on "business history" all loans will have to be guaranteed personally.

Gridlock 02-13-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8159275)
you can start a sole proprietorship without any docs. call yourself "First Name Last Name Consulting" or "First Name Last Name"

If the business takes off by next year - get a paper and make it official. At the end of the day, not a single bank will give you anything based on "business history" all loans will have to be guaranteed personally.

Different for a business license...that's business registration.

A business license is required for any all and all activity you perform in a given municipality. Although while I have never had to just randomly show my license, I very muchy want to have one when asked.

RRxtar 02-13-2013 08:54 PM

as Gridlock said, Registering a business and obtaining a business number, and getting a business licence are 2 different things. You have to do both to start a business.

The business licence is issued by your municipality and allows you to operate and do business within that municipality (or multiple municipalities).

Manic! 02-13-2013 11:03 PM

No need to get business license from the city according to one of my old teachers at BCIT.

dared3vil0 02-13-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8159093)
I'm 99% sure you only have to be 18 to incorporate.

Are you guys registering as a corporation? or partnership/self-prop?

general partnership.