REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Environment Canada - Students (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680691-environment-canada-students.html)

RuffleCopterz 02-19-2013 02:06 PM

Environment Canada - Students

Has anyone here worked for Environment Canada or know anything about them? How is the learning experience and pay wise here? Specifically for co-op but if you know anything about how the labs operate that'd be great

Thanks!

vyrospec 02-19-2013 02:11 PM

Never worked with them, but my economics TA used to work with them.
Being a government job, pay will be decent for sure and the shit ton of benefits. According to my TA, it was a pretty chill job but you may be annoyed by all those levels of bureaucracies they have in there.

Hope it helps.

Special K 02-19-2013 02:17 PM

Student Rates of Pay - Effective January 1, 2012 and January 1, 2013

kevin7352 02-19-2013 02:19 PM

Hey OP what school do you go to?

GLOW 02-19-2013 03:03 PM

i believe i interviewed with them for a technical position (non-student) many years ago. pay i'd say was so-so only but being gov't the benefits were good. downside (or upside depending who you are) is that the position required a lot of travel...particularly to remote areas up north. seemed like an overall decent place to work at from what i remember, speaking with the senior guys that were interviewing me.

c3m 02-19-2013 06:12 PM

Depends on what you do.
some co-op position starts at around 15 or so.

it really depends on your experience and education. with a degree you can get 18 for entry level and it goes up from there

Oleophobic 02-19-2013 08:41 PM

Did two coop terms there a couple years back. Pay was around 18.30 IIRC. I mostly did database related work so it was fairly easy. The bureaucracy of a government job did not really affect me since my position didn't really require me to request access to anything that would require many layers of red tape and approval.

Overall I had a great time. My manager was nice and I enjoyed having the freedom to step away from my desk at any time which I guess is inherent in most office jobs. I also enjoyed being able to surf the web, watch YouTube, and stream online radio at my desk. As for the learning experience, I guess I got a lot of practice with Excel and one of their proprietary database programs and a bit of report writing so it was pretty good.

Minata 02-20-2013 08:20 PM

I did 4 terms total, I pretty much agree with what above poster said. I loved the chill laidback environment.

RuffleCopterz 02-21-2013 07:40 PM

Anyone worked in the science lab? For Chemists