REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   "Fake" speedtrap (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681299-fake-speedtrap.html)

lolapexseals 03-05-2013 12:31 PM

"Fake" speedtrap

So, there is this one spot where a few times a week there is a cop running what I assume is laser(tripod,detector not picking anything up etc). Now there is only one person, car is parked somewhat far away and it's a busy street which would be dangerous to try and wave people down.

From what I can tell they just sit there to scare people into slowing down. I have seen many vehicles obviously speeding and never get pulled over.

Main question, Is this something that is done or will i be getting a ticket in the mail like a speed camera?

nma 03-05-2013 12:35 PM

There are people who do this to record the average speed. They are usually volunteers who work with the police to find areas where people speed a lot. (at least that's what it looks like to me)

lolapexseals 03-05-2013 12:38 PM

This was a person in full uniform, rcmp car about 50 feet away.

I have seen the volunteers before though.

nma 03-05-2013 12:46 PM

maybe some dude in a fake uniform scaring the shit outa everyone? :troll:

Brianrietta 03-05-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolapexseals (Post 8176862)
So, there is this one spot where a few times a week there is a cop running what I assume is laser(tripod,detector not picking anything up etc). Now there is only one person, car is parked somewhat far away and it's a busy street which would be dangerous to try and wave people down.

From what I can tell they just sit there to scare people into slowing down. I have seen many vehicles obviously speeding and never get pulled over.

Main question, Is this something that is done or will i be getting a ticket in the mail like a speed camera?

If it's such a busy street like you say why don't you just slow the fuck down. Christ almighty.

wing_woo 03-05-2013 02:31 PM

I have seen this too. Sometimes, it could just be an officer getting ready and waiting for a second officer to come.

kunoman1 03-05-2013 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
fake speedtrap

Nlkko 03-06-2013 09:32 AM

Pretty sure they just record the speed or what jazz. They're in full uniform with cruisers. I've zoomed past these guys once or twice thinking "I'm fucked" but they didn't even buzz.

Isn't the double strip on the road that you see sometimes is for speed recording too?

Sango 03-06-2013 08:59 PM

^
Sometimes they can use that.

I know there is an area where it said photo camera enforced in the school zone. Where there is two double strip like things used for timing purposes for speed traps. When a car goes too quick, the cameras go off twice (once at each speed trap) + plus video footage.

Supposedly I heard that one could avoid getting a ticket by going significantly slower by the second speed trap such that the average is at or below the speed limit if they went too fast on the first speed trap. I'm not sure if that's true thou ha ha.

ninjatune 03-07-2013 03:29 AM

They may only be targeting excessive speeders or something along those lines.

melloman 03-07-2013 07:23 AM

He actually has a tripod set out??

I've personally never seen an officer using a tripod to shoot laser (small pen) or radar (k/ka band using a radar gun).. Could just be them gathering footage for a court case? Or maybe they are just doing seatbelt/cellphone checks?

pb.kidz 03-12-2013 06:44 PM

If he was shooting laser its harder for your radar detector to pick it up depending on which one you have and where you have it placed.

sho_bc 03-13-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8183234)
If he was shooting laser its harder for your radar detector to pick it up depending on which one you have and where you have it placed.

If he was shooting laser, a radar detector won't "pick it up" at all.
Posted via RS Mobile

lolapexseals 03-14-2013 07:52 PM

90% of radar detectors have some form of laser detection tho, should probably have registered if they tagged me.

zulutango 03-15-2013 04:53 AM

Seeing that Laser gets your readings in 1/3 of a second it is impossible to slow down in time if your Laser detector tells you you were targeted.

zulutango 03-15-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8178594)
He actually has a tripod set out??

I've personally never seen an officer using a tripod to shoot laser (small pen) or radar (k/ka band using a radar gun).. Could just be them gathering footage for a court case? Or maybe they are just doing seatbelt/cellphone checks?

The LTI 20-20, one of the most common Police Laser units, is normally operated from a tripod. Can be hand held but easier on a tripod.

pb.kidz 03-19-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8184081)
If he was shooting laser, a radar detector won't "pick it up" at all.
Posted via RS Mobile

Yes it will... However instead of saving you it will basically tell you your fucked. Thats why I have laser interceptors installed in my car in conjunction to a radar/laser detectors.

Shorn 03-19-2013 03:09 AM

speaking of speedtraps.. a cop let me shoot a radar gun before, it's pretty fun.

also not as easy as you'd think it'd be, you have to get the target right on the license plate for a little while. had to lean up against a lamp post to be accurate

zulutango 03-19-2013 05:37 AM

Frm what you described you were using a Laser, not a Radar unit. Big difference.

marksport 03-21-2013 11:55 AM

I see IRSU cops using tripod all the time since they have a bunch of officers waiting to stop the offending motorist. Looks like a wolfpack to me as I see 4 cars and the officers waiting to issue the tickets.