REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Speak English (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681394-speak-english.html)

4444 03-07-2013 07:07 PM

I'm a big proponent of immigrants learning English or French (these are official languages, unlike the US that has no official language) - but these people could speak English just fine... So what if they want to chit chat in their native tongue, not really a leg to stand on

What's next, forcing people to speak an official language in the privacy of their car or house!?

skiiipi 03-07-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMeow (Post 8179065)
I don't care about people speaking foreign languages. Why not?
But it pisses me off when Richmond Chinese people tell me I should learn Mandarin (never encountered anyone telling me to go learn Cantonese before) knowing that I'm not even Chinese.
Or when people get mad at me because I don't speak so and so language.
Once had a brown person yell at me in what I assume was punjabi... Seriously?
Posted via RS Mobile

Having worked in the retail industry in Richmond for 4 years, I can agree with this statement.
It seems that the asian mandarin speaking population in Richmond feels a sense of entitlement where they think that they should be served in their language in Richmond.
Having worked in Burnaby and New West as well, I can say that the asian clientele outside of Richmond isn't nearly as bad when it comes to this.
Posted via RS Mobile

drunkrussian 03-07-2013 07:51 PM

lol ironic, people pissed at the racism published in one bs newspaper and automatically react with "LOL its calgary after all". how is that not a mild form of racism in itself?

Graeme S 03-07-2013 07:59 PM

More regionalist than racist.

No matter where you are, wherever you go, whoever you are...

Quote:

City folk? They don't know nothin' 'bout nothin'
Quote:

Small-town residents?! Hah! They wouldn't know an education if it bit them in the posterior--another word they'd never know!

FatalCloud 03-07-2013 08:06 PM

people can speak in whatever language they want, however, i just don't get, for example chinese ppl who have been in vancouver for almost 20 years and they don't know ANY english. like wtf...at least make the effort to know english if you're gonna be here awhile. and i hate how for example when i was in t&t (i'm chinese btw but my cantonese is so-so, the takeout lady only knew mandarin and she gave me the wrong thing). i felt so embarassed and uncomfortable trying to correct my order...in the country i was born in! other chinese ppl were looking at me like I was a freaking alien! to me, i shouldn't have to feel that way in my own country... like at least learn the basics. geez.

Ronin 03-07-2013 10:23 PM

People are free to speak whatever language they want. This dude is just jealous that he only speaks one.

I do, however, think everyone should have a basic understanding of English. It's perfectly cool to speak your own language but you can't expect everyone to be able to speak it. You don't have to adapt to Canada if you don't want to but at the same time, you can't expect Canada to adapt to you.

RFlush 03-07-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8179117)
I agree with you. Every citizen should be expected to know how to write and speak English but if they choose to speak in their own language then so be it. If we went to another country we would be expected to do the same
Posted via RS Mobile

Have you ever worked in a foreign country before?

jpark 03-07-2013 10:51 PM

hahaha this reminds me of last year summer when i was at a hick pub near my parents house in maple ditch.
I was exiting the pub with my friend speaking full on fob korean, wasnt paying attention so instead of "pulling" the door to exit, i "pushed". obviously the door didnt open.

Than this douchebag white old man standing on the side says to me "it says pull, i guess you two don't understand what it says in the first place harharhar" and than his fat ass wife who was drunk i assume? starts laughing her ass off like none stop.. like she witnessed the funniest shit she has ever encountered in her life

I just blankly stared at him for good 5 seconds without saying anything (thinking of something to say back actually lol) which gave him even more of the impression that i was a full on fob who couldn't even understand what he just said

i dont remember what i exactly said but i said something like "well before you are so concerned about my mistake of pushing instead of pulling, you should clearly "pull" the vocal cord out of your wife to shut the fuck up because her fatass laughter is hurting my ears"

His face just turned full on red after and he went full racist mode, saying how back then in his days asians were blah blah blah yelling out loud in that little pub. asking me to fight him outside (lol wtf he was like 50 yrs old) Staffs ended up kicking them out haha

trancehead 03-07-2013 11:01 PM

those uncultured fucks

Mr.Money 03-07-2013 11:23 PM

lol,white people.

Ronin 03-08-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8178965)
Whats more disgusting is the press spreading this bullshit nationally as the right thing to do and for foreigner speaking people not to be welcome or shut up in public areas.

We dont really know if this event even happened, but we see what the papers views are to publish this and since the press here is very controlled, you can bet this could be some kind of encouraged protocols from the top.
Whats the point... maybe to spread hate towards foreigners to move away in the long term and further secure the province rich resources. It sounds far fetched but I wouldnt doubt it.

They probably did it so that everyone that read it could call this idiot an idiot...like they're doing...and in doing so, inspire everyone to reflect on the fact that Canada speaks all sorts of languages.

Okay, probably not. They probably just wanted the "everyone call this guy an asshole" part.

TOPEC 03-08-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8179194)
Having worked in the retail industry in Richmond for 4 years, I can agree with this statement.
It seems that the asian mandarin speaking population in Richmond feels a sense of entitlement where they think that they should be served in their language in Richmond.
Posted via RS Mobile

this is so true, fobs start swearing at me in mandrain, i stare n give them the dirty look until they get the hint that i understand them

SkinnyPupp 03-08-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8179371)
lol,white people.

You're no better than that fat fuck in the bar

CharlesInCharge 03-08-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8179423)
They probably did it so that everyone that read it could call this idiot an idiot...like they're doing...and in doing so, inspire everyone to reflect on the fact that Canada speaks all sorts of languages.

Okay, probably not. They probably just wanted the "everyone call this guy an asshole" part.

No I still think they want the locals to see foreigners and immigrants as unpatriotic outsiders that should be watched, socially isolated, and confronted.

Mr.Money 03-08-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8179446)

yeah I Am...because i said so.

El Bastardo 03-08-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8179371)
lol,white people.

No points issued #revscene #itsokayifitsagainstwhitepeople #itswrongtobeoffendedaboutthisbecauseimwhite

SkinnyPupp 03-08-2013 06:52 AM

should that be worth points?

T4RAWR 03-08-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Protocols

Barry Whiteley confronted a trio of unbelievably rude and ignorant men who were conversing loudly in an offensive, non-official language, which he believes to have been Spanish or Italian (we can only be thankful it wasn’t Portuguese or Catalan), right smack in the middle of Westbrook Mall. Whiteley attempted to correct their faux pas by yelling at them to “go back to their country.” I do not wish to criticize Whiteley’s handling of the situation, but, I believe the traditional, accepted protocol in such circumstances is to shout, “Speak white, you filthy immigrant scum!”

J.L.Elliott, Calgary
one of the responses to Whiteley's letter.

:lawl:

VRYALT3R3D 03-08-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8179507)

Nope. I am white and I am not offended. If a silly tongue-in-cheek response like that offends someone, then well....they are a stick in the mud.

Also honestly? wtf

That guy had some nerve to complain. I guess he missed the memo that Canada embraces and encourages multiculturalism. Unless he is native, he too is an immigrant.

El Bastardo 03-08-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8179507)

I'm speaking to the general environment of acceptable racism and the context in which that statement was made.

If the Romanian horsemeat scandal some how involved dog meat and someone posted "lol Korean bbq" while it doesn't specifically draw ties between Koreans and dog eating it does give us enough context to make that association. I feel the same way about that statement. We don't -know- the author of that article is white but the posting of "lol white people" seems to draw the same contextual line that not only is the author white but white people are the only ones who care enough about that kind of thing to speak up against it.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but the discussion on racism ended so abruptly and without resolution that it was worth mentioning.

That being said, Mr. Money's mom had to pin his gloves to his jacket when he was young because he'd lose them if she didn't so you can't blame him for saying something stupid. Its in his nature. :devil:

FerrariEnzo 03-08-2013 08:15 AM

Canada is multicultural, last time I read.. has that changed?

You can go to any country and speak ANY language you want, its just a matter of if they understand you or not...

Ronin 03-08-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8179448)
No I still think they want the locals to see foreigners and immigrants as unpatriotic outsiders that should be watched, socially isolated, and confronted.

:lol

!SG 03-08-2013 09:24 AM

i was neither at the or in a bar...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8179446)

Iceman_2K 03-08-2013 10:12 AM

So would he have been offended if he was at a SCI-FI convention and people were speaking some fictional language?

Graeme S 03-08-2013 10:13 AM

It's situations like this I wish I were fluent enough in french to fake trying to start a conversation, then asking him why he doesn't speak French since it's an 'official language' and that should obviously mean I can converse with anyone and everyone in it.