REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Input on accident leaving driveway (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681778-input-accident-leaving-driveway.html)

ph0 03-16-2013 02:54 PM

Input on accident leaving driveway

Just needed some input from you guys about my accident leaving my backyard driveway. I usually park forward and reverse out into the alley to get out of my driveway . The view from both sides of my driveway is blocked because of a tree on one side, and a sliding gate on the other.

As I was reversing out at an angle going out to the alley I saw a car stopped just as I passed out my gate. I decided to go back into my driveway and let it pass. As soon as it passed I continued to reverse back again at an angle to go out. My rear bumper was already out pass the gate and at this moment a car came by and swiped it's driver side door against the corner of my rear bumper. At this point I should have took a picture of how my car was positioned and the damages to both of our cars but I was to stunned thinking what my dad was going to say.

I go out to inspect the damage in my car and it's like minor scratches on the corner of my bumper (Going to post picture of it after I get off work). The other car on the other hand has a line not even about 1cm almost across the the whole driver door. I'm going to assume she was speeding she was following the car I let go earlier, since he came back to look at the damages as well.

What are your guys input on this? Would ICBC 50/50 or would I be at total fault for this?

Kidnapman 03-16-2013 03:27 PM

It's 100% your fault. Been in a situation like this as well in a parking lot. I reversed out half way and some impatient prick decides to squeeze past as I'm still reversing and we scrape. Lesson learned, never ever go head first into a parking stall or spot. Fuck still pissed at this shit hole to this day.

eurochevy 03-16-2013 03:44 PM

50/50 means both at fault and both your insurance goes up so really 50/50 means 100 % both at fault....but this is 100% your fault..thats why when you do your road test you actually reverse into a stall incase you forgot/ havn't done the roadtest in a very long time

ph0 03-16-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juwlzx (Post 8186443)
It's 100% your fault. Been in a situation like this as well in a parking lot. I reversed out half way and some impatient prick decides to squeeze past as I'm still reversing and we scrape. Lesson learned, never ever go head first into a parking stall or spot. Fuck still pissed at this shit hole to this day.

Thanks man, that just seals the deal with the outcome with icbc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurochevy (Post 8186452)
50/50 means both at fault and both your insurance goes up so really 50/50 means 100 % both at fault....but this is 100% your fault..thats why when you do your road test you actually reverse into a stall incase you forgot/ havn't done the roadtest in a very long time

I could reverse back but it's become a habit to just forward park my car. But i'll probably change it up and reverse park

Thanks for the input guys

eurochevy 03-16-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0 (Post 8186470)
Thanks man, that just seals the deal with the outcome with icbc.

I could reverse back but it's become a habit to just forward park my car. But i'll probably change it up and reverse park

Thanks for the input guys

I know what you mean..I myself had a close call coming out of the garage reversing out, from that day on i've gone forwards

Kidnapman 03-16-2013 04:30 PM

Hey man sorry to hear about your incident. But I'm sure this'll be a very valuable lesson. I know now that the only way I'm EVER gunna park in a stall is to reverse in from now on, tho I usually do. Guess I just had bad luck that day cause the one day that I actually didn't bother to reverse into the stall I get kicked right in the nutz hard by life. Hope everything works out in the end.

Fafine 03-16-2013 04:44 PM

Yeah shitty deal but that's why I've always reversed into stalls since my L.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 03-16-2013 06:48 PM

It's called "reverse while unsafe" in the MV Act. My courses teach to always back into a driveway or parking stall...it's called the "Avoid" habit. It's designed to avoid exactly the situation you put yourself into.

Akura 03-17-2013 12:08 AM

As far as I can understand, the other driver on Main road has the right of way and you were supposed to proceed when safe. Sorry to hear, OP.

Raid3n 03-17-2013 10:46 AM

if the other car stopped for you, you should have just gone =\ lesson learned indeed. i hate backing out of stalls. always avoid it if i can.

Brad Fuel 03-17-2013 10:43 PM

Always reverse into stall parking spots for the following reasons:

1) You can make much sharper turns in reverse so you can park PROPERLY in the lines in one shot. None of that forward/reverse bullshit which wastes more time and is more dangerous (every time the car is in reverse there is inherent risk).

2) In busy lots, it forces others to wait for you to reverse into the spot. Those same people will not wait for you to reverse out of a spot (as evident in this post).

3) Better angle of vision when exiting your parking stall.

ph0 03-18-2013 12:23 AM

Thanks for the input guys, gonna start reversing into my backyard. Gonna let this be a lesson learned, insurance gonna go up :okay:

gars 03-18-2013 10:10 AM

Even if you go through ICBC - you have the option of paying out the damages and prevent your insurance from going up. You should calculate how much it would affect you and figure out which is cheaper.

wing_woo 03-19-2013 11:31 AM

happened to a friend backing out of his driveway. He was part way out and someone hit him. However, the damage was so severe, ICBC ruled it 100% the other guy's fault. They stated that he had to have been excessively speeding to cause that type of damage and that there would be no way for my friend to have seen him coming because of how fast he must have been going.

ph0 03-19-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8187627)
Even if you go through ICBC - you have the option of paying out the damages and prevent your insurance from going up. You should calculate how much it would affect you and figure out which is cheaper.

She brought it in for an estimate and it would cost $2000. I discussed it with my dad and we both came to conclusion that the repair isn't worth that much. So he pretty much told me just bring to to icbc and try to fight it lol

@wing_woo
I'm pretty that would be the case for me also if I reversed straight out instead of at an angle. But gotta wait and see what ICBC says.

wing_woo 03-19-2013 04:16 PM

Well, his Volvo literally had the trunk ripped off in the accident, so that was very severe.