REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Parked car damage, Collision vs Comprehensive coverage? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682239-parked-car-damage-collision-vs-comprehensive-coverage.html)

jlo mein 03-27-2013 01:40 PM

Parked car damage, Collision vs Comprehensive coverage?

My car was parked on the street and had the side mirror broken off and door scratched. I wasn't there and found no witnesses or other info.

ICBC has listed the claim as a hit and run. I have third party auto insurance through Canadian Direct Insurance (CDI).

With CDI a hit and run is considered a collision, and has a $500 deductible. Comprehensive (vandalism, other stuff) has a $200 deductible.

Is ICBC correctly listing the claim as a hit and run? Is there any possible way I can get this done under comprehensive coverage instead of collision?

My autobody shop quoted $300 to replace mirror and spot paint the door if I pay out of pocket, or he will fully repaint the entire door if I get insurance to pay for it.

Spidey 03-27-2013 01:47 PM

if there is evidence that the car was damaged by another vehicle, then yes it would be considered a hit and run. If it was keyed/had the mirror bashed by a person, then it would be vandalism. Either way, you still have to pay the deduct, no?

iKayChow 03-27-2013 05:36 PM

man that sucks. if its going to cost that much.. should try to grab a mirror from ralphs and install a new mirror yourself

hope it works out for you

quasi 03-27-2013 05:39 PM

It sure sounds like a car hit yours and kept going which would make it a hit and run.

Edison_Chen 03-27-2013 06:44 PM

Under ICBC wording booklet, hit and run comes from the collision deductible. If there was a witness of some sort then you might have a case... Having insurance under CDI will this collision claim affect your future premiums if let's say there was another claim in the future ??
Posted via RS Mobile

jlo mein 03-27-2013 06:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. Claim doesn't affect future premiums with CDI as I'm not at fault.

I guess I just have to decide if I want to pay $300 out of pocket for a patch paint fix or $500 deductible for a fully repainted door.

This is one of my first incidents. I didn't know you get so screwed over even when you did nothing wrong.

Special K 03-27-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen (Post 8196899)
Under ICBC wording booklet, hit and run comes from the collision deductible. If there was a witness of some sort then you might have a case... Having insurance under CDI will this collision claim affect your future premiums if let's say there was another claim in the future ??
Posted via RS Mobile

I always thought any hit and run would be covered under Basic (bodily injury or collision). Can you post the source of the booklet? Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile

Edison_Chen 03-27-2013 08:22 PM

I'll have to find a copy and scan it... Under basic insurance hit and run on a vehicle is covered but with a minimum deductible of $750. If you have collision coverage deductible you will pay the lesser of the 2.
Posted via RS Mobile

**googled and found this hit and run brochure**

http://www.icbc.com/csDelPrd/Satelli...%2Fhit-run.pdf

umpadupa 03-27-2013 11:17 PM

y is every1 quoting ICBC?

ur third party insurance is thought CDI rite? so your third party lib, coll and comp is through CDI rite?

at this point u should of only bought basic ($200,000) lib from icbc. Icbc doesn't care about ur car since u didnt buy coll or comp, if u wanted to claim through ICBC it would be $750 deduct

read up what CDI considers as hit and run.

my advice is to pay it off ur self. $100 difference isnt worth having a claim on ur car in case u wanna sell it in the future.

Gridlock 03-28-2013 08:58 AM

I had CDI for awhile. They were super easy to deal with, and nice and all.

Then, I had a letter come wanting a mechanics report on my car. My car was older, so I understood why they would do it, but I didn't feel the need to deal with an extra hassle of having aircare, AND some form of mechanics inspection.

So I went back to ICBC and have been there ever since.

I do like the idea that they will just come to you if they need to see your car, be it at home or work, as opposed to having to go to a claim center.