REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   This is media (at least some of it) now a days (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682422-media-least-some-now-days.html)

Xu.Vi 04-01-2013 07:39 PM

This is media (at least some of it) now a days

Lots of generalization and often misleading...Mr.Olsen.......tsktsk

'Racist' Nanaimo Daily News Letter About First Nations Sparks Outrage (TWEETS)

SB7 04-01-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Here's the full text of Don Olsen's letter:

Educate First Nations to be modern citizens
It was only 12,000 years ago, or less and this should be considered, in all those years the so called First Nations:
- never "discovered" the wheel
- never had a written language
- never discovered astronomy
- had no science or scientific discoveries
- had no mathematics
- made no medical discoveries
- never had written music
- only "figured out" a drum and a rattle for musical instruments
- had no metallurgy
- had no sails for boats (only had canoes)
- created virtually no mechanical devices
- possessed almost nothing that required hard manual labour over a period of time, ie. building with or carving out of stone
- made almost no inventions
- are just in the last 200 years getting caught up to most of the rest of the world
- have a history that is notable only for underachievement. Are these people in trouble? Yes.
Do they need help? Yes.
Are they responsible enough to look after themselves and efficiently spend the billions the taxpayers give them? Certainly not.
The only way to fix this situation is to bring them into society as equals. They should be getting jobs and paying taxes like the rest of us because in reality, they are no more special than any of the other hundred or more cultures that call Canada home.
Turn off the taps. Do away with this "traditional use" and "cultural" nonsense. Educate their children to become modern citizens.
Instead of finding their identity and source of pride in some folks who occupied the land 15,000 years ago. Let them stand or fall on their own account.
Just like the rest of us have to do.
Don Olsen, Nanaimo

Definitely not surprised that everyone is getting pissed off...

Xu.Vi 04-01-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striker_boi7 (Post 8201019)
Definitely not surprised that everyone is getting pissed off...

Yep. Its one thing to have your own ideas about a certain group/culture..but to convey your message to the public - :denied:

Lomac 04-01-2013 08:04 PM

For the record, that was an editorial by a resident that they decided to run. It wasn't actually written by the paper.

murd0c 04-01-2013 08:10 PM

What rights do we have in freedom of speak anymore? I don't agree with the letter but I at least respect where the person is coming from.

Soundy 04-01-2013 08:19 PM

Apparently this guy (Olsen) is a known troll who regularly writes inflammatory letters-to-the-editor and such... from what one Nanaimo reporter said the other day, the real :fulloffuck: for the paper is not that they shouldn't have published the letter due to it's content, but that they shouldn't have published it simply due to the fact that the source is regularly trying to stir up shit.

The really funny thing to me is that the paper thought it would help things to remove the letter from their website... and of course, we're seeing the full-on Streisand Effect now.

MindBomber 04-01-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8201092)
What rights do we have in freedom of speak anymore? I don't agree with the letter but I at least respect where the person is coming from.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not protect hate speech.

I hope Olsen is indicted.

Manic! 04-01-2013 10:00 PM

When i read the mayor protested I couldn't stop laughing. The only reason he is there is because they have been writing negative stories about a hotel deal the city has been trying to do. He blamed the paper for some Chinese investors pulling out a few weeks ago.