REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Employment Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/employment-resources_154/)
-   -   Work Hours Regulation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682732-work-hours-regulation.html)

i-VTEC 04-09-2013 07:27 AM

Work Hours Regulation

I received an offering letter and the hours states

Your salary is based on 40 working hours per week.
Lunch hour is in addition to the 40 hours and taken
from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. each day.

Can anyone clarify for what that sentence means?

For my understanding, I am required to work 8 hours per day (40/5)

Lunch break (1hour) is not included in the 8 hours per day

therefore I will pretty much be outside for (8hours work+1hour lunch)9 hours?

jeedee 04-09-2013 07:31 AM

Your 1 hour lunch is included in your "8 hours of work".

I get scheduled for "8 hours of work" however, I get 2 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch. I technically work for 6 hours and 30 minutes = 8 hours

Not sure if this is your first job or something, but from my current job and previous ones thats how it went.

Hope it makes sense lol

i-VTEC 04-09-2013 07:43 AM

In addition, meaning, is added or is on top so is not included in the 40 hours???

Edit: I dont know if this has anything related, but I'm in IT field, DBA & Application Development

jeedee 04-09-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-VTEC (Post 8207526)

In addition, meaning, is added or is on top so is not included in the 40 hours???

Meaning your lunch hours are already added into the 40 hours

i-VTEC 04-09-2013 07:53 AM

really? that's awesome

ok how about this

the offer letter also wrote

"Overtime hours during the week are not
remunerated."

does that means if I need to work extra hours during Mon-Fri, the extra hours I put in will not be compensated. I will only get overtime pay if I was required to work on Sat/Sun

correct?

jeedee 04-09-2013 07:55 AM

I think it means whichever day you work overtime past your shift (including the weekends), you won't get paid for it no matter which day.

HKS PWR 04-10-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-VTEC (Post 8207514)
I received an offering letter and the hours states

Can anyone clarify for what that sentence means?

For my understanding, I am required to work 8 hours per day (40/5)

Lunch break (1hour) is not included in the 8 hours per day

therefore I will pretty much be outside for (8hours work+1hour lunch)9 hours?

From what you wrote, it sounds like you'll be working for 9 hours a day, with an unpaid lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 each day. To be perfectly honest, not a lot of employers/companies are going to be PAYING you for an hour for you to eat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-VTEC (Post 8207514)
really? that's awesome

ok how about this

the offer letter also wrote

"Overtime hours during the week are not
remunerated."

does that means if I need to work extra hours during Mon-Fri, the extra hours I put in will not be compensated. I will only get overtime pay if I was required to work on Sat/Sun

correct?

Correct, they are not going to pay you for any overtime. I would check with the Employment Standards Board about this. Unless there are special rules in your industry, it is against the law by not paying overtime.
Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards

fsy82 04-10-2013 09:11 AM

This is from the Ministry of Labour

Quote:

Overtime

Daily overtime pay is time-and-a-half after eight hours worked in a day and double time after 12 hours worked in a day.

Weekly overtime is time-and-a-half after 40 hours worked in a week. Only the first eight hours worked in a day count towards weekly overtime.
I believe the second part relates to you. If you work 10 hours one day but your total hours for the week is 40 hours you will not be eligible for overtime pay. But if you exceed the 40 hour work week than you will get overtime paid to you. But confirm with them.

ilovebacon 04-10-2013 09:16 AM

All jobs should start paying people lunch breaks, how awesome would that be.
Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 04-10-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKS PWR (Post 8208280)
From what you wrote, it sounds like you'll be working for 9 hours a day, with an unpaid lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 each day. To be perfectly honest, not a lot of employers/companies are going to be PAYING you for an hour for you to eat.

Correct, they are not going to pay you for any overtime. I would check with the Employment Standards Board about this. Unless there are special rules in your industry, it is against the law by not paying overtime.
Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards

This is exactly how it is at my work. I'm on salary I don't get paid any overtime and there is a lot of days I stay late. I also get a one hour unpaid lunch, half the time I work through it well I eat. Sounds kind of shitty but the flip side is if I ever need to leave early, show up late or want a day off it's never an issue and it's paid. I can pretty much come and go as I like as long as my work is getting done, I can even work from home if I want but I find I don't have the discipline so rarely do it.

It's all about give and take, having a good relationship with your employer. Now if they wanted to dock me those days I can't come in because my kids sick or I have a Doctors appointment I'd have a problem.

RHMadness 04-10-2013 03:42 PM

Unfortunately your lunch break is not included in the 8 hour day. So you will technically be working a 9 hour day. Are you on salary? your post is unclear? I work in Labour Relations so shoot me a PM if you need more info.. If you are on salary then that means you wont be getting paid overtime. They will expect you to work until the job is done. Eventually when you have built a trusting relationship with your company, you will be able to work and get your job done with some give or take. Like the post above mine says, some days you will work your ass off and be at the office for 11 hours and other days you can kick after about 6 hours. At the end of the year, it should even out.

jeedee 04-10-2013 03:47 PM

Yeah, my posts were about hourly jobs--not salary based. Makes sense if OP is salary based

Cassijon 04-10-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8208714)
Yeah, my posts were about hourly jobs--not salary based. Makes sense if OP is salary based

it doesnt matter if its hourly or salary based.

OP wouldnt get paid to eat either way

jeedee 04-11-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon (Post 8208924)
it doesnt matter if its hourly or salary based.

OP wouldnt get paid to eat either way

I didn't say he was getting paid to eat in my other posts.

OP's asking if he works 8 hours + 1 hour unpaid lunch break = 9 hour scheduled shift

or

7 hours + 1 hour unpaid lunch break = 8 hour scheduled shift

aznb 04-14-2013 07:54 PM

Didn't wanna make a new thread, but does anyone know what's the maximum number of weekly hours for part-time work? Is it also 40 weekly hours before 1.5x pay?

van_city23 04-17-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8207518)

I get scheduled for "8 hours of work" however, I get 2 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch. I technically work for 6 hours and 30 minutes = 8 hours

Not sure if this is your first job or something, but from my current job and previous ones thats how it went.

Hope it makes sense lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8209227)
I didn't say he was getting paid to eat in my other posts.

OP's asking if he works 8 hours + 1 hour unpaid lunch break = 9 hour scheduled shift

or

7 hours + 1 hour unpaid lunch break = 8 hour scheduled shift

He would be doing a 9 hr shift a day to get his 8 worked hours a day plus 1 hour unpaid lunch in if he's only working 5 days a week to total 40 working hours.

lowside67 04-17-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8207518)

Wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8207528)
Meaning your lunch hours are already added into the 40 hours

Still wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HKS PWR (Post 8208280)
From what you wrote, it sounds like you'll be working for 9 hours a day, with an unpaid lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 each day.

Right.

jeedee 04-17-2013 02:28 PM

Weird...at my work place I'm scheduled for 8 hour shifts with a 1 hour unpaid lunch included

Was just basing it off that lol

melloman 04-17-2013 02:38 PM

^^ I'm just taking a random guess and going to say you work for a union. :lawl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznb (Post 8212188)
Didn't wanna make a new thread, but does anyone know what's the maximum number of weekly hours for part-time work? Is it also 40 weekly hours before 1.5x pay?

Part time work is 32 hours and below. Anything above 32 hours should be considered full-time. (Depending on how your company works, you could be paid 1.5x pay after 8 hours.. if this is true part time work)

lowside67 04-17-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8214925)
Weird...at my work place I'm scheduled for 8 hour shifts with a 1 hour unpaid lunch included

Was just basing it off that lol

By definition, if you are being paid for 8 hours and work 7 hours and have 1 hour for lunch, you have a paid lunch since you are being paid for the time you spend eating lunch...