REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
I don't get it

Surrey's Vaisakhi parade-why all the controversy?

This year's parade is likely to be trouble free, based on all the politicians that are going to attend. However, in past years, Vaisakhi in Surrey attracted a lot of controversy. The organizers threatened Ujjal Dosanjh one year and Gordon Campbell refused to attend the year before that. From my Googling I found out that it was because Sikh extremists-including ones accused of the Air India bombing-were honoured as martyrs on some of the floats. They want to create an independent nation for Sikhs, Khalistan. But I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than me could expand on that. I wonder how prevalent these extreme views are in Vancouver's South Asian community.

Another point I wanted to bring up, is that, from what I've been told, Surrey's parade does not have the family friendly atmosphere of the Vancouver parade. How true is this?

I thought about posting this in the multicultural events thread, but I didn't want to derail it.
Advertisement
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
You are right about what you read in regards to the martyr thing but that was years ago.

It is very family friendly. Good food.

I haven't found it very political but I'm a white chick so I'd probably the last person someone wants to discuss a separatist nation for Sikhs with.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
There's a float/stall supporting terrorists every year as i understand it but thats only the surrey one not sure about the vancouver one
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I heard from my brown friend that it might not be as family friendly because its obviously in surrey and also its on 4/20.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Not all Sikhs agree with the khalistan drama.. Some take offense to even mentioning it
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
I don't get it

I also found something that worries me...

During my research, I came across an article on thetyee.ca about Dosanjh's fight against the extremists. It mentioned the Khalsa School, a private school for Sikh students. Apparently in the 2011 election, his opponent Wai Young attended a meeting where Ripudaman Singh Malik was also in attendance. He founded Babbar Khalsa, a Sikh militant organization which has been called a terrorist group by pretty much every western country, and has direct links to the Air India case. It upsets me that a Canadian educational institution would be okay with this. I'd like to think that most Sikhs in Metro Vancouver have more moderate views.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
The whole Khalistan thing is a joke IMO -- you basically have extremist groups who don't even live in punjab trying to change it. They think because punjab is mostly agricultural farmers they can be self sufficient as a nation -- I'm not for it nor is anyone in my family.

I wouldn't worry too much about vaisakhi in Surrey .. I've been to two, and last time I went they actually took Sikh RCMP out of the parade to help breakup a fight between some teenagers involving someone getting peppersprayed
But hey, good punjabi food is spicy punjabi food.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I also found something that worries me...

During my research, I came across an article on thetyee.ca about Dosanjh's fight against the extremists. It mentioned the Khalsa School, a private school for Sikh students. Apparently in the 2011 election, his opponent Wai Young attended a meeting where Ripudaman Singh Malik was also in attendance. He founded Babbar Khalsa, a Sikh militant organization which has been called a terrorist group by pretty much every western country, and has direct links to the Air India case. It upsets me that a Canadian educational institution would be okay with this. I'd like to think that most Sikhs in Metro Vancouver have more moderate views.
That khalsa school being shut down will save MANY kids torment and social retardation -- mention of Malik offends a great deal of sikhs.

You have your fudamentalists (i.e. Malik and the gang) and you have the more liberal sikhs. A lot of people I know simply refuse to go to the surrey one just because of what it represents and the types of floats they have
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Malik and family are scary.

Years ago I worked with his niece. She full on bragged about her uncle and the bombings....I asked her why she didn't feel bad for the victims...her response was, "why should I care?? Its not like I knew them".
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Malik and family are scary.

Years ago I worked with his niece. She full on bragged about her uncle and the bombings....I asked her why she didn't feel bad for the victims...her response was, "why should I care?? Its not like I knew them".
It simply boggles my mind that such vermin, such filth, responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Canadians and hundreds more in India, are not only tolerated but celebrated.

I don't spend a lot of time around Indo-Canadians so I haven't been able to get opinions about the Khalistan movement, but-short of making sweeping generalizations-I'm not sure I'll like what I hear.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
A lot of Punjabi's don't believe in the terrorism aspect of the Khalistan or wanting a separate state from India but majority of Punjabi's are still very passionate about what happen in 1984. Hell I was only 4 years old when the genocide happen but it breaks my heart to hear and see what was done to Sikh's in India at that time and to hear stories about people who lost loved ones.

And don't buy into the whole Khalistan propaganda, there's powerful people in the Sikh community who have strong links with the Indian government and it's shocking how hard the Indian government tries to influence the Sikh media in Canada. You'll even see people from the Indian government at the parade wearing suits or looking really out of place filming the floats. Knowledge is power so never assume or take things at face value.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've never heard of the surrey one or the vancouver one not being family friendly. In surrey, there used to be fights with kids at a school called strawberry hill which is just off the parade route. Honestly, it's pretty fukin pathetic to set up a fight and use a religious day as an excuse to be able to go to the fight. I'm sure all those kids parents feel proud their kids are taking part in something cultural and religious only to have the kids go fight other kids behind some school. Other than that, its great fun. Great food. Always great performances. I see a lot of different ethnicities there every year with the number growing.

The controversy sprouts from a few bad apples. A few ppl like to put up certain pictures that some find offensive. But to label and judge the whole event based on that is plain stupid like how muslims are all labelled terrorists after the american attacks (extreme example but you get the point). As dhillon09 said, majority of the sikhs don't even support the movement. Yes a lot want justice for something that happened a long time ago but there's a reason why they live here and not there. The extreme views actually go away from the actual teachings of sikhism but thats like with any religion.

Anyone in the area should definitely go and enjoy it.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,148 Posts
I'm going tomorrow to check it out with my gf/sister and her family. Will be my first year attending so should be interesting.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
The Surrey one was started by fundamentalists who belong to the Deshmesh Darbar temple. The Vancouver one is run by moderates. You also have people supporting banned terrorist organizations at the parade.

About fighting at Vaisakhi start at 1:54

More info here: Khalistan | CIR: Canadian Immigration Report
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post

I don't spend a lot of time around Indo-Canadians so I haven't been able to get opinions about the Khalistan movement, but-short of making sweeping generalizations-I'm not sure I'll like what I hear.
Remember, not all indo-canadian people are Sikh and not all Sikh indo-canadians support this.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Last night, we asked a few indo-canadian adults what would happen if a few of us asians(cheena/sp?)visited vaisakhi.

Said we'd get beat up
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Last night, we asked a few indo-canadian adults what would happen if a few of us asians(cheena/sp?)visited vaisakhi.

Said we'd get beat up
Posted via RS Mobile
i grew up 2 blocks away from the temple in south van, im asian and ever since i was a kid they've been very welcoming. always got offered food/drinks and when i didnt understand why, they were more than happy to explain what it was all about. its actually a great atmosphere all around so im not sure if you're kidding, or if they were kidding
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post

Said we'd get beat up
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm asian and I went to the Van Vaisakhi

I went in with an empty stomach, and I came out with like 5 slices of pizza and a LOT of rice.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
happy versace day to my kiddas

i went to vaisakhi last weekend in vancouver

man what a shit show that was after 2pm

better to go early like from 11-3 or something

gets hella busy and packed later on in the day

and good luck finding parking lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

deleted

Last edited by Gnomes; 04-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Went to the Surrey one via transit. There's tons of parking around the 324 bus route. The event was spectacular with number of free food stands present. It blew my mind. Food were decent (I assume subpar with what you would have paid for in restaurants). My beefs were: all vegetarian food and no pizza present.

By the way, where do those people get the $$$ to supply people free food? If it came out of their own pocket, wonder how much. I often see jugs and jugs of empty gallons of milk near the stands (the American kirkland ones =)
you have beef with an event because they have meatless products (where its FREE) then go on to wonder where people get money from?
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
you have beef with an event because they have meatless products (where its FREE) then go on to wonder where people get money from?
...and that there was not pizza?!?!

I'm afraid, you come across as not only entirely missing the cultural aspect of the event, but as shallow and ungrateful.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
...and that there was not pizza?!?!

I'm afraid, you come across as not only entirely missing the cultural aspect of the event, but as shallow and ungrateful.
QFTW.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I apologize, i see i have miserably failed at my beef and Hindu pun.

If i can rephrase it rather than using the sad pun - I was not aware everything is vegetarian. SpeedStars mentions pizza at the Vancouver one, which is interesting.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
I don't get it

Seriously. I had legitimate concerns that the Surrey parade had been hijacked by hate, and you have to come in with your first world problem.