REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Driving while SUSPENDED (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683345-driving-while-suspended.html)

PrinceGeorge 04-24-2013 11:39 PM

Driving while SUSPENDED

Hi everyone. I had an account here a few years back and forgot the info for it so I figured I'd re-register as this place seemed to be quite understanding and useful for information love the community here.

Anyways, on to my issue. Please try to stay on topic I'm not trying to get out of anything just haggle my fairness as I feel I'm being cornered. If my story offends anyone I apologize. I've learned alot and taken it into hand.

My license was originally suspended for three months due to sliding through/running a stop sign which accumulated enough points along with my other ticket to lose it.

Then a ticket from a year ago came down to court time and I lost my license three more months (extended to June 24th 2013). This one was for leaving the scene of an accident as I was trying to get to the vets due to my dog not being able to breathe- I got to the light rolling up on it and the person in the lane did not go on the turn because they were preoccupied with something in their vehicle. I wasn't speeding, I just had my mind in the clouds and when I got close I decided to swerve and hit the post instead of another human beings vehicle. Looking back my dog was still hiccuping so I backed off and drove to the vets. I was not criminally charged as the officer understood the situation but could not deny what I've done wrong. Which was fair and sadly I lost my pup too. God bless that buggers soul.

----End of back story----

Flash forward to March.27th (my license is still suspended) I had signed up for a last entry closed door exam at my local college (I'm from up North in case it hasn't clued in yet, not Vancouver but I lived there before.) I had an alarm set and it went off but I dozed through it. I woke up realizing I had 5 minutes roughly ten at most etc in that region- to get to the test otherwise I would have to put my education off another year, I panicked and grabbed the keys to the Truck my father has insured and drove it the four blocks to the college, took the tests and drove home. (Someone had called me in at this point I'm guessing my neighbor as we don't get along due to them damaging our vehicles and property)

As soon as I pulled into my driveway an officer rolls up and blocks me in. When I am out of the vehicle he continues to ask me for my license and I admit I don't have one- it is suspended. He then calls another officer as a witness and declares me under arrest, puts me in the back of the vehicle without cuffs and reads my rights to me etc. Then shortly after the impound truck is called in and my vehicle is impounded for thirty days. They ask if the vehicle has been in action and I state it is my dads, and my girlfriend had driven it occasionally while we hung out due to her car being in the shop so yes it has been in action which is why it is insured.

I panicked and valued my education, I feel like shit and know what I did was wrong. But, the officers said this won't affect my criminal record. They also stated my chances of jail time are slim and that I seemed like a good guy. (I'm 19). I was pulled over due to being called in, they said technically road wise other than driving while suspended I did nothing else wrong. I agreed and apologized and trying to explain I am trying to be educated they just said it happens to everyone and shook my hand after small talk and left. I was also not given any tickets, just given a white piece of paper with a court appearance date.

How fucked am I? I don't have a criminal record either, and I know what I did was wrong. I planned to show up in black dress pants and shirt with a tie to court as I can't afford a lawyer, I wrote up a letter explaining myself and apologizing and admitting what I did was wrong.

What happens in these situations? I state in my letter I'd do anything to not further extend my license suspension as I want to go back to my old job which needs a license, and that I'd pay any fines deemed fair and/or do community service.

I'm really stressed out over this, thanks for the read. I won't be shocked if I get the odd insult I feel that is fair. Thanks again.

corollagtSr5 04-25-2013 12:23 AM

Just explain to the judge what you explained here. He'll probably go lenient on you. Bring proof of the exam you did and blah blah and be sincere that you won't do it again. My buddy got caught 3 times driving suspended and the third time they through him in a halfway house(kinda like jail).

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 04:22 AM

Corolla, that's a sick vehicle. And thanks for your response, wow it took three times for him to go to jail? So you are saying on avg I most likely won't see a jail?

What happens on your first offense? My main concern is to not further extend the loss of my license honestly. Thanks for helping put my mind to ease.

Any tips?

Spidey 04-25-2013 04:59 AM

The chances of you going to jail over a driving while suspended offence is slim to none. However, it may be a while until you ever see your licence reinstated. You admit you were wrong all those times you were issued VT's, but you don't seem to learn your lesson. Yes you have had your reasons for doing what you did, but at the end of the day, it takes a lot to lose your licence in the first place. Have you tried to apply for legal aid?

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/prohi...ht-driving.htm

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8221658)
The chances of you going to jail over a driving while suspended offence is slim to none. However, it may be a while until you ever see your licence reinstated. You admit you were wrong all those times you were issued VT's, but you don't seem to learn your lesson. Yes you have had your reasons for doing what you did, but at the end of the day, it takes a lot to lose your licence in the first place. Have you tried to apply for legal aid?

Caught Driving While Prohibited or Suspended - Prohibitions and Suspensions - Driver Behaviour and Road Safety - Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles

Well that feels a bit better. Sadly I believe you need to be risking a family issue or be below the age of 19 to receive legal aid I believe. And the thing is all my tickets were from when I was 16 or 17 the issue was I disputed them and they all caught up when I was older. I admitted I was wrong because I grew up and felt no reason to pursue a dispute other than apologizing to the community.

Thanks for the advice again. I'm hoping to convince the judge not to extend my license further. I typed out a statement already that I plan to read not sure how effective it will be.

I heard also that even if I could afford a lawyer in this case it would be pointless as these situations are really straight forward.

I saw that link on google btw, I just wasn't sure how accurate it was so I figured I'd get some personal experience inputs also due to the duty counsel here at the court house being assholes on avg since you're not paying them.

Any specific steps to follow in this situation?

zulutango 04-25-2013 05:35 AM

Get legal advice from a lawyer not an internet forum. Please.

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceGeorge (Post 8221659)

Thanks for the advice again.

I heard also that even if I could afford a lawyer in this case it would be pointless as these situations are really straight forward.

some personal experience inputs also due to the duty counsel here at the court house being assholes on avg since you're not paying them.

Any specific steps to follow in this situation?

Thank you for your post, Zulu. If possible I'd appreciate your personal experiences on my situation maybe in PM?

bloodline129 04-25-2013 06:07 AM

Ur license will be suspended for an additional 12 months. Been in the same boat... Disputing it will not help u much cause u didn't get another vt with it. I think u mentioned that. I'm not sure if the judge can overturn super's decision btw, I presume. Might get lucky but due to your driving record ur shit outta luck.

Just my experience... I got a 12 months :(
Posted via RS Mobile

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodline129 (Post 8221670)
Ur license will be suspended for an additional 12 months. Been in the same boat... Disputing it will not help u much cause u didn't get another vt with it. I think u mentioned that. I'm not sure if the judge can overturn super's decision btw, I presume. Might get lucky but due to your driving record ur shit outta luck.

Just my experience... I got a 12 months :(
Posted via RS Mobile

"VT"? Is it worth sending a letter to the super? Can you even with a 12 month?

What was your suspension for in the first place? And did you recieve a fine?

If you get the chance I'd like to PM convo ya, or even skype get your advice on the shitstorm imminent in my life lol. Possibly show you my letter.

Tyvm

Brad Fuel 04-25-2013 05:36 PM

Speak to legal counsel. There is mandatory jail time for drive while prohibited but I believe that is for repeat offenders. Doesn't mean you won't get jail time for a first offence.

Autorice 04-25-2013 09:51 PM

times have changed. I know two people that got jail time (2 days) for driving while suspended back in high school. one was sent to actual prison and other got house arrest.

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Fuel (Post 8222117)
Speak to legal counsel. There is mandatory jail time for drive while prohibited but I believe that is for repeat offenders. Doesn't mean you won't get jail time for a first offence.

Yeah I got my abstract today. I have approx 15 pts. And I went today to speak to an officer and he said I guess most of the time you only get sent to jail if you repeat the offense and don't learn your lesson. Along with if your suspension in the first play was a DUI offense (which mine wasn't thank god, I'd never have the nads to drive under the influence and risk someone else life)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autorice (Post 8222322)
times have changed. I know two people that got jail time (2 days) for driving while suspended back in high school. one was sent to actual prison and other got house arrest.

Are you implying the law is more understanding now? Or that in the cases you described if anything it is worse now.

Spidey 04-25-2013 10:38 PM

No one is going to tell you what is going to happen to you. Every incident/offence is looked at individually case by case. You are only going to either get false hope, or think you are doomed. Just suck it up, live your life, and face the music when it's court day.

PrinceGeorge 04-25-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8222361)
No one is going to tell you what is going to happen to you. Every incident/offence is looked at individually case by case. You are only going to either get false hope, or think you are doomed. Just suck it up, live your life, and face the music when it's court day.

Fair enough. Cross your fingers wish me luck. I'm going to do my best.

Also I was trying to gather the prices paid by analyzing why people were suspended etc but I think the info needed is too vast.

Much appreciated again everyone

bloodline129 04-26-2013 07:58 AM

i didn't end up in jail.... i had 2 previous suspensions due drinking and driving... one was 3 months 2nd one was 6... i was 4 months into my 6 months suspension when i got caught driving while suspended.... my car was impounded for 60 days... took them a few to decide what the repercussions would be... i actually got my license back and my car back within the 2 months... but another letter stating a year suspension was coming up made me :'( lol

PrinceGeorge 04-26-2013 11:22 PM

PM'd ya blood, appreciate your responses

dinamix 04-27-2013 12:29 AM

Sucks for u bro. Doubt you'll ever get jail tIme. You should of called a cab

PrinceGeorge 04-27-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinamix (Post 8223108)
Sucks for u bro. Doubt you'll ever get jail tIme. You should of called a cab

I could've but once again I was worried. My friend got to the college 3 mins late last year and got boned until this year. Surely a cab wasn't going to be here on time.

I have my statement written out, I just need someone good with words to proof read it for me because I don't want to look like a dumbass in front of a judge who is an all knowing person.

:alone:

Shorn 04-27-2013 11:54 PM

wow your neighbor called you in driving without a license?

you guys must have been real dicks to each other for him to hate you that much lol.

that's why you should always be nice to your neighbors. good neighbors are invaluable (whether it be warning you about potential burglars, plant sitting while you're on vacation, etc etc)

PrinceGeorge 04-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8223720)
wow your neighbor called you in driving without a license?

you guys must have been real dicks to each other for him to hate you that much lol.

that's why you should always be nice to your neighbors. good neighbors are invaluable (whether it be warning you about potential burglars, plant sitting while you're on vacation, etc etc)

Parked infront of their house once and it made them mad even tho it's not illegal, she's an old bitch sigh.

Normz 04-28-2013 01:35 PM

It is a statutory 12 month suspension on top of your previous one. And also a 500 dollar fine. Both are required by law and is the minimum punishment. The judge has to give you that. Jailtime is only if you repeat that offence. And it would be a minimum of 2 weeks if what the police officer told me was correct.

boibuddha 04-28-2013 03:03 PM

An old friend of mine lost his license an additional 12 months plus lost his car 2 months. This ended up costing close to $5k after everything but this was years ago.

This was his first offense as well. Be prepared to spend more due to inflation
Posted via RS Mobile

PrinceGeorge 04-28-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boibuddha (Post 8223917)
An old friend of mine lost his license an additional 12 months plus lost his car 2 months. This ended up costing close to $5k after everything but this was years ago.

This was his first offense as well. Be prepared to spend more due to inflation
Posted via RS Mobile

My vehicle was registered under my dads name so they can't take it after an impound - especially since it has been sold.

I had to pay 620$ already to get that out from my college funds sigh. It sounds like it depends on the judge moreso.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normz (Post 8223851)
It is a statutory 12 month suspension on top of your previous one. And also a 500 dollar fine. Both are required by law and is the minimum punishment. The judge has to give you that. Jailtime is only if you repeat that offence. And it would be a minimum of 2 weeks if what the police officer told me was correct.

Appreciate it tons, looks like I won't be riding on rubber until next June sigh.