REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Okay, it was actually a stop LIGHT... and she didn't "run" it, if the story is to be believed: she STOPPED for it, there was nobody else around (being 5am), so she went ahead without waiting for the green.
Does traffic cameras snap a photo in these cases? Or are they only activated for a set amount of time after the light has turned red and only if the car in question was speeding through?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Does traffic cameras snap a photo in these cases? Or are they only activated for a set amount of time after the light has turned red and only if the car in question was speeding through?
Almost 100% positive they snap a pic for the duration of the red light.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Parents tell me the family in the van owned a Indian restaurant and sweet shop in Vancouver.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #54
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Parents tell me the family in the van owned a Indian restaurant and sweet shop in Vancouver.
There was an earlier post in this thread that said it was members of the Sachdeva family that got killed. It was the owner's wife, sister, mother, and two children. Sachdeva Sweets is their business, and it looks pretty good from all the positive reviews: Sachdeva Sweets & Restaurant | Surrey
Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Okay, it was actually a stop LIGHT... and she didn't "run" it, if the story is to be believed: she STOPPED for it, there was nobody else around (being 5am), so she went ahead without waiting for the green. REALLY not the same thing, and REALLY not a big deal. For all we know, they could have been sitting waiting for ten minutes without the light changing - who here HASN'T gone ahead if a signal isn't working properly and the road is clear?
even with my friends during our high school joy ride days if we came across something like this a friend would jump out of the car and hit the crosswalk light or we'd make a right turn and pull a U and that was as stupid teenagers
heck I think we've all come across the situation of a long red in the middle of the night (5am is a bit too busy imo) and I thought most people had the sense to run out and hit the crosswalk, I've seen it done by other drivers countless times (i just wait it out though im in no hurry if im out that late)
always found running the light to be beyond stupid regardless of the time and level of traffic
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #56
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
There was an earlier post in this thread that said it was members of the Sachdeva family that got killed. It was the owner's wife, sister, mother, and two children. Sachdeva Sweets is their business, and it looks pretty good from all the positive reviews: Sachdeva Sweets & Restaurant | Surrey
yup, thats them. Very sad story. The shop is closed and ppl are leaving flowers and notes at the door. I don't know how the father/husband is handling this, can't even imagine it.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #57

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Almost 100% positive they snap a pic for the duration of the red light.
AFAIK there are no cameras at that intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #58
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
sad when one idiot's stupidity leads to the harm/death of innocent people. especially when they're kids

rip, condolences to the father/husband
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
even with my friends during our high school joy ride days if we came across something like this a friend would jump out of the car and hit the crosswalk light or we'd make a right turn and pull a U and that was as stupid teenagers
heck I think we've all come across the situation of a long red in the middle of the night (5am is a bit too busy imo) and I thought most people had the sense to run out and hit the crosswalk, I've seen it done by other drivers countless times (i just wait it out though im in no hurry if im out that late)
always found running the light to be beyond stupid regardless of the time and level of traffic
The only red I sometimes "run through" is that BS light on King Edward, turning right/merging into Kingsway.
Such a redundant light. Even then, I rarely ever run it cause I'm paranoid of the Police, and I'm really in no rush.
I've had people honk me though, because they're probably unaware that there's a light there, or they just don't care.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 04-29-2013 at 05:59 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #60
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,166 Times in 473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
The only red I sometimes "run through" is that BS light on King Edward, turning right/merging into Kingsway.
Such a redundant light. Even then, I rarely ever run it cause I'm paranoid of the Police, and I'm really in no rush.
I've had people honk me though, because they're probably unaware that there's a light there, or they just don't care.
you need to review the driving book. Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are no signs there restricting you from turning right on a red or one that indicates that the traffic light is strictly for turning right.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
you need to review the driving book. Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are no signs there restricting you from turning right on a red or one that indicates that the traffic light is strictly for turning right.
No such no-right-on-red sign as of the time Street View went through: kingsway & king edward - Google Maps
Quote:
Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #62
xxx

Quote:
I don't think there's a need to be paranoid...
It's a red light which means you can turn right when it's safe. Treat it like any normal red light. Now if there's a no right turn on red sign, then that would be different.

You can replace it with a stop sign I guess but then you will have people slowing down for no reason when they actually have a protected right turn (ie. when kingsway westbound gets the protected left turn) so the green light is there to help with traffic flow.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
According to global:

They were just visiting the temple to pray for the 5 year old boy whose birthday it was. The father was at home waiting to celebrate with the cake and birthday balloons...

gutting....absolutely gutting.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #64
PRINCESS

Quote:
According to global:

They were just visiting the temple to pray for the 5 year old boy whose birthday it was. The father was at home waiting to celebrate with the cake and birthday balloons...

Wow I actually just teared up reading that
RIP
I sincerely hope that guy who ran the red gets jail time if he survives.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
I use to have this mindset, then think....What if a cyclist roars past.
And you didn't do a full stop, even for a sec.

As that ICBC commercial went, when you slow down, you see more of the road. A mindset that more drivers need to have.

And saw on news as well, they interviewed an engineer that said, the van must have been going at least 120 km. That's nuts.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #66
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
And saw on news as well, they interviewed an engineer that said, the van must have been going at least 120 km. That's nuts.
Bahahahaha
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
I don't think there's a need to be paranoid...
It's a red light which means you can turn right when it's safe. Treat it like any normal red light. Now if there's a no right turn on red sign, then that would be different.

You can replace it with a stop sign I guess but then you will have people slowing down for no reason when they actually have a protected right turn (ie. when kingsway westbound gets the protected left turn) so the green light is there to help with traffic flow.
Now that you mention it, you're right, there is no "No-Right-Turn-on-Red" sign.
That's a confusing intersection... considering the light is angled toward King Edward.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 04-29-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Now that you mention it, you're right, there is no "No-Right-Turn-on-Red" sign.
But now this comes to my mind. Who is that red light for?
Why is it angled toward King Edward?
You can clearly see there's another set of lights for the traffic along Kingsway.

This is confusing, and I want to get to the bottom of this.
When it's green, it allows cars to directly merge onto kingsway without stopping at the stop sign.

Guess they can't just have a green light there, so they make it the complete red, yellow, green, display
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #69
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
According to global:

that's just really gut wrenching. i can't even comprehend how the father is dealing with this. i honestly teared up reading this.

just found the source for the father/birthday/cake/balloons:
http://globalnews.ca/video/521356/in...-crash-details

"birthday balloons were still inside the house today as relatives were grieving"

Last edited by entrax; 04-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
When it's green, it allows cars to directly merge onto kingsway without stopping at the stop sign.

Guess they can't just have a green light there, so they make it the complete red, yellow, green, display
Yeah, I get it now that I read those posts again.
Just don't think I've seen another intersection like that before.

If this is the case, then I don't think I need to worry about turning right on those red lights anymore.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #71
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,989 Times in 538 Posts
Quote:
According to global:

i am speechless, I was just talking to my mom about this... this hits really really hard, I just became a father myself, and just thinking about losing my daughter, fiancee, mother is absolutely heart wrenching...

my sincere sincere sincere condolences to the father/husband. I hope someday somehow he comes out of this and start to "live" again, because I think any normal person probably died mentally when the police showed up to serve up the news that you didnt want to hear...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #72
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Long stretches of road really freak me out especially late at night. You can be extra cautious at the lights but there's not much you can do when once you've entered the intersection and there's another car coming at you at a high rate of speed.

And it sounds like the driver is going to survive, he'll most likely not remember anything so it'll be up to the police, icbc and witnesses to piece what happen and bring up charges. I doubt that will do much for the victims husband/father, I did here that he has two other childern, twins?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #73

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Bahahahaha
What's funny about that? Speed limit on 32nd there is 60, but it's a long, flat, straight stretch and would be easy to hit that speed, even in a Caravan.
Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #74
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Terrible.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #75
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

RIP

Reminds me of this accident in Singapore, but maybe (hopefully) not as negligent

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote