REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Autism. Enough to 'abandon' your child? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683568-autism-enough-abandon-your-child.html)

Spoon 05-02-2013 07:55 AM

Read this recently:
Paying for a special-needs child - Apr. 22, 2013

Might give some perspective in regards to the emotional toll and financial costs related to raising an autistic child.

MG1 05-02-2013 10:14 AM

"There but for the grace of God, go I."

I feel for these people. I try hard not to judge people. Need to walk a mile in their shoes.

Tough decision, but what is best for the child is priority.

Cannot even begin with, "If it were me, I would..................."

Ronin 05-02-2013 10:59 AM

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I can't imagine the internal struggle they deal with everyday between their parental love and the absolute frustration of dealing with a child with disabilities. I don't know if I'd have the patience.

But at the same time, I know a girl with a condition that confines her to a wheelchair...but she's not only a genius but a great person...witty, funny, just all kinds of awesome. I couldn't imagine abandoning someone like her if she was my child.

MG1 05-02-2013 11:57 AM

.....and the scary part is, what if they had what most of us take for granted. Freedom of mobility.

Nlkko 05-02-2013 01:34 PM

what "abandon the child".... Stupid title. Give them a round of applause for doing what's best for the kid and not just throw him/her into a dumpster.
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 05-02-2013 01:48 PM

I think with disabilities, it makes the disparity between rich and poor more apparent.

I know a few .com ers are "retired" but have to take care of their autistic child; the majority of their time and resources is spent with therapists, art, music, activity (you name it they have a therapy for it). Virtually all the "pure" autistic kids with therapy have intelligence more than a 12 year old (the kid can solve topology problems better than most undergrads). My friend's kid is now mostly normal and will go to university, but still if you manage to get at his "blind spot", he completely falls apart. It gets tough when not to be a helicopter parents in this regard because they can get bullied so easily.

The problem with North American society is currently we stigmatize mental institutions. However in cases like autism where the clients can get overwhelmed really easily, a quiet place is probably a good thing to start off. But thanks to the gov trend, the only psych facilities we have are prisons, where things are really out of sight and mind. I really hope Douglas will be able to establish a psych nursing school at the old Riverview facilities because it is sorely needed.

Even if the person have the intelligence of a 12 year old that bing had suggested, it doesn't mean they don't have a mind. They just don't evolve beyond the capability of a 12 year old, it doesn't mean they don't have emotions, love and even urges for sex. Think the movie "The Session"

If people want to experience situations like this up close and personal, I highly suggest one to to at least get a better perspective, give l'arche a visit or volunteer there.