REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Great Vice documentary on BC Bud (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683605-great-vice-documentary-bc-bud.html)

Sid Vicious 05-02-2013 11:38 AM

Great Vice documentary on BC Bud

I love how BC is a great centre of the counter culture as it adds to our typically vapid and uninspired culture

Although a great documentary, I really don't enjoy how so of the people who were interviewed perpetuate the "stoner hippy" stereotype. They are simply a disservice to the drug liberalization movement

What many drug liberalization advocates don't realize is that society will only take you seriously if you for the most look and act just like them.

trancehead 05-02-2013 12:22 PM

didnt watch this doc yet, but i will

in the meantime:
it is exactly this stoner hippy stereotype is what prevents some of the cleaner cut types from coming out.

we have a self feedback loop here

cleaner stoners fear of being associated with hippies --> hippies being the dominant image when associating with weed culture --> cleaner stoners fear of being associated with hippies --> ... (infinite loop)

off the top of my head, there is Joe Rogan, who is a huge weed advocate. (for anyone who watches the Joe Rogan podcast) i just wish he were more mainstream to a degree, then this would be a first good step towards eliminating that dirty hippy stereotype

I am not saying that all hippies are unsucesful, there are certainly some who are doing well. But there are certainly really successful people out there who are daily tokers. And these guys obviously do not come out because of the negative connotations associated with being a dope smoker

some of the most closed minded people i know choose NOT to smoke weed. obviously not a direct causation, but definitely some correlation :)

dope definitely gave me the chance to be able to see outside of my own egotistical view. almost a 3rd person view of any kind of issues. to question all your very own beliefs that you may prop yourself up on daily.

once i started up again, my level of meta knowledge just sky rocketed

-i consider myself to have been very closed minded prior to just toking up once in a while again. but once i did, i just evaluated different facets of life easier

but again, i see another feedback loop here. if i didnt choose that one day to start smoking again (with the right buddy / buddies of course. who you smoke with and the conversations you have are what seperates you guys from just being retarded stoners and muching out OR actually having mentally stimulating conversations that bring you to the moon and back) then i obviously would not be open minded about weed.
>>>to clarify, when i say 'started smoking again', it wasnt anything near on a daily basis. maybe once or twice a week inconsistently. im still a noobie smoker compared to some people i know, for comparison sakes

chicken and egg problem at its best. sometimes you just need outside intervention (luck? divine light? government action with balls?)

Sid Vicious 05-02-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 8227197)

in the meantime:
it is exactly this stoner hippy stereotype is what prevents some of the cleaner cut types from coming out.

cleaner stoners fear of being associated with hippies --> hippies being the dominant image when associating with weed culture --> cleaner stoners fear of being associated with hippies --> ... (infinite loop)

good post.

off the top of my head, there is Joe Rogan, who is a huge weed advocate. (for anyone who watches the Joe Rogan podcast) i just wish he were more mainstream to a degree, then this would be a first good step towards eliminating that dirty hippy stereotype

I am not saying that all hippies are unsucesful, there are certainly some who are doing well. But there are certainly really successful people out there who are daily tokers. And these guys obviously do not come out because of the negative connotations associated with being a dope smoker

some of the most closed minded people i know choose NOT to smoke weed. obviously not a direct causation, but definitely some correlation :)

dope definitely gave me the chance to be able to see outside of my own egotistical view. almost a 3rd person view of any kind of issues. to question all your very own beliefs that you may prop yourself up on daily.

-i consider myself to have been very closed minded prior to just toking up once in a while again. but once i did, i just evaluated different facets of life easier

but again, i see another feedback loop here. if i didnt choose that one day to start smoking again (with the right buddy / buddies of course. who you smoke with and the conversations you have are what seperates you guys from just being retarded stoners and muching out OR actually having mentally stimulating conversations that bring you to the moon and back) then i obviously would not be open minded about weed.
>>>to clarify, when i say 'started smoking again', it wasnt anything near on a daily basis. maybe once or twice a week inconsistently. im still a noobie smoker compared to some people i know, for comparison sakes

chicken and egg problem at its best. sometimes you just need outside intervention (luck? divine light? government action with balls?)

what i think the major problem is, the people who are of the most benefit to the drug liberalization movement also have the most to lose from supporting liberalization. for example, it is well known obama was a huge pothead. however, if he had openly supported liberalization prior to his 2008 election, he would've undoubtedly lost the election

the problem is, many "academic" stoner types risk stigma or even worse ( getting fired) from their peers, due to the positions they hold. whereas many of the people interviewed do not have this problem, as the work primarily with other people of the same mindset.

twitchyzero 05-02-2013 01:20 PM

vice is now on HBO...2x10 minute stories each week
I just watched the one with armed teachers at a private christian school in New Mexico where students also receive basic defensive training...shit what an eye opener.

melloman 05-02-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8227200)
the problem is, many "academic" stoner types risk stigma or even worse ( getting fired) from their peers, due to the positions they hold. whereas many of the people interviewed do not have this problem, as the work primarily with other people of the same mindset.

This is exactly it.

There are lawyers, judges, doctors, who all smoke weed. But the minute they openly admit to it, people will scrutinize them. Whether people comment that it will negativity affect their work, or that their judgement is blurred.

Your general population just can't accept that weed (when used responsibly) doesn't harm anyone.

Spoiler!

geeknerd 05-02-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 8227197)

in the meantime:

as much as i can appreciate your pro-marijuana stance, i think some of what you say are the very opinions/thoughts that activists(me - bedroom typist) are trying to change.

-calling marijuana, dope(and the stigmas associated with this word)

-treating it like a 'god drug', allowing it to provide some life enlightenment (the video specifies hippies of doing this)

-when really it should be just treated as something medicinal and recreational

- i dont see anything wrong with being "retarded" stoners and munching out.
Take out the weed of that equation and it simply becomes friends having a stupid fun time and eating 'good' food yet you call it retarded.

as if doing nothing sober is better than doing nothing high. but when im high, i just enjoy the state of being high --> enjoying the moment.

-Your "need" to clarify that smoking meant not on a daily basis[noobie smoker], (i got the idea that it makes it sound bad if i did smoke daily)

i feel like somewhere in between what i wrote, im being a hypocrite but thats my 2 cents.

trancehead 05-02-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8227256)
as much as i can appreciate your pro-marijuana stance, i think some of what you say are the very opinions/thoughts that activists(me - bedroom typist) are trying to change.

-calling marijuana, dope(and the stigmas associated with this word)

im actually not aware of the associations with the word dope. i just started using it recently cause my friend would always call it that

Quote:

-treating it like a 'god drug', allowing it to provide some life enlightenment (the video specifies hippies of doing this)

-when really it should be just treated as something medicinal and recreational

- i dont see anything wrong with being "retarded" stoners and munching out.
Take out the weed of that equation and it simply becomes friends having a stupid fun time and eating 'good' food yet you call it retarded.

as if doing nothing sober is better than doing nothing high. but when im high, i just enjoy the state of being high --> enjoying the moment.
there is a fine line between god drug/medicinal and recreationalism isnt there?

and about using the word retarded when muncing out, not putting it down or anything. its fun of course
i use the word retarded cause of my personal experiences where id be stoned out of my mind and just eating a ridiculous amount of food. your experiences may vary

yes when you are high, your perception of NOW can be very great
i havnt read it yet but i hear its great: Eckart Toille's the Power of Now

Quote:

-Your "need" to clarify that smoking meant not on a daily basis[noobie smoker], (i got the idea that it makes it sound bad if i did smoke daily)

i feel like somewhere in between what i wrote, im being a hypocrite but thats my 2 cents.
haha the intent of that "need" to clarify the amount i smoked was to really show how relatively little it took to gain some marginal benefit from it

i dont know if i would benefit from smoking on a more regular basis or not, that is something i have not tried

bloodmack 05-02-2013 04:47 PM

I simply just don't fucking care. I do realize that admitting you smoke weed can hinder you in many ways and I won't go up to my boss and say hey I smoke weed unless I know my boss is fine with it. It sucks that a majority of people can't take it upon themselves to actually go out there and research their own facts on the subject. Information is so widely and easily accessible, I'd consider you an idiot to think negatively of it.

Gridlock 05-04-2013 08:16 AM

So I watched it. I didn't find it very good.

Here you have Marc Emery as a martyr, the dude with the gun bong as an unsung hero, and a heavily edited interview with the one and only person that represents "the other side" and the only piece they did show was small talk with a stoner.

The only part I found interesting was the medical growers in Squamish. Out of everyone in the video, they were the only ones that presented their side as practical people with a desire for a change in laws.

I have changed slightly, in my feelings on legalization. At this point...I don't think I care anymore.

But I will say, the main thing that holds back the "cause" or "movement" is treating it like a magical god-like entity(which was mentioned above) and an entitlement philosophy.

And my god, I really dislike Marc Emery. Soooo...you were selling seeds across the border, to Americans that take their druggin' seriously, and wonder why you were arrested?

Dude. Fight all you want to change laws and THEN sell as many seeds as you like.