REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   use caution when using Point 2 Point shipping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684388-use-caution-when-using-point-2-point-shipping.html)

a90a93 05-22-2013 04:46 PM

use caution when using Point 2 Point shipping

Be careful with Point2Point. I used them for many years and have always been happy with them. I was there 5 weeks ago and used my credit card to pay for my charges as I always do. The only other place I used my card that day was to was to fill up with gas while done there. My credit card number was stolen and random purchases (some high dollar) were made the same day in New York. Visa covered it and sent me a new card. I figured it was the gas station at the time. Two days ago I went down to Point Roberts to pick up packaged and used my credit card once again at Point2Point but nowhere else this time. Visa just called me and told me the exact same thing happened again. It was the same staff member helping me each of those days.

meowjinboo 05-22-2013 04:48 PM

Call their boss?

Also the kid has to be a pretty dumb skimmer.

a90a93 05-22-2013 04:51 PM

What if it's the Boss that did it? Should I call the police? Visa doesn't seem to care that I think its them. Im switching over to TSB for now on!!

XplicitLuder 05-22-2013 04:54 PM

or just use cash...? lol i know that they shouldnt do that , and thanks for the heads up as i still sometimes use p2p when im not using 24/7 , but ill def not use my cc anymore

El Bastardo 05-22-2013 04:55 PM

Call the police first, then the boss

meowjinboo 05-22-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a90a93 (Post 8243269)
What if it's the Boss that did it? Should I call the police? Visa doesn't seem to care that I think its them. Im switching over to TSB for now on!!

I can 100% guarantee that the boss did not do it.

Why would he risk his successful business for skimming cards?

noventa 05-22-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8243286)

I suspect it was the Butler, with the lead pipe in the kitchen.

bcrdukes 05-22-2013 05:41 PM

Seems like several people have been victims of this problem, specifically in Point Roberts.

Best you call the police and report it.

TOS'd 05-22-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8243286)

r u da boss?

Recon604 05-22-2013 06:42 PM

Im pretty sure its not the boss. It gets pretty busy there and ppl can jus easily change the machine without being noticed in a small amount of time

Manic! 05-22-2013 06:43 PM

Who cares? let your credit card deal with it.

meowjinboo 05-22-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8243356)
Who cares? let your credit card deal with it.

You can tell who runs and operates a business in this thread.

4444 05-22-2013 08:46 PM

Thing is, the cc machine is fully visible there, don't they need to double swipe the card to steal info? (Maybe things have changed from the old way of doing things...)

I agree, inform the police that you suspect them as it has happened twice, could be coincidence, but if police get numerous calls, then they can deal with it

Just check your statements (better yet, use mint.com app, and real time check your cc purchases)

Manic! 05-23-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8243385)
You can tell who runs and operates a business in this thread.

Well we had some customers that we believed were doing credit card fraud. Called the cops. they didn't care. Only after other stores were hit multiple times they too some interest but not much. 2 months later they were busted with a meth lab.

riley_ 05-23-2013 01:51 PM

I have a capital one mastercard that sends you an email / text RIGHT AWAY (real-time) when a transaction over "xxx" amount is charged on the card. You can adjust the amount threshold but the minimum is $20. There's another option to set an alert if any transaction is made out of Canada.

Pretty sweet feature and peace of mind.

godwin 05-23-2013 02:53 PM

Not always.. the machine could have been hacked or the pin pad had been messed with. Basically in WA, they can still get use the information because they still haven't fully moved to chip card yet.

For all small business places.. it is much better to use cash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8243466)
Thing is, the cc machine is fully visible there, don't they need to double swipe the card to steal info? (Maybe things have changed from the old way of doing things...)

I agree, inform the police that you suspect them as it has happened twice, could be coincidence, but if police get numerous calls, then they can deal with it

Just check your statements (better yet, use mint.com app, and real time check your cc purchases)

davidw1234 05-23-2013 03:49 PM

Only used p2p once, never liked them but thanks for the heads up. Been using 24/7 for the past few months.

PJ 05-23-2013 07:58 PM

Hm, I've heard a LOT of stolen CC number stories from PR.
This is why I've never used mine down there. I'd rather pay with cash, even Canadian cash if I'm out of American. Their exchange rate isn't bad anyway.

shenmecar 05-23-2013 08:04 PM

I've used my cc at TSB Shipping and most gas stations in Point Roberts without any problems.

Shorn 05-23-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8244090)
Not always.. the machine could have been hacked or the pin pad had been messed with. Basically in WA, they can still get use the information because they still haven't fully moved to chip card yet.

For all small business places.. it is much better to use cash.

the US does not have the chip and pin system, it's only canada and europe.

also 100% it's the employee.

anyway you don't have to worry about it too much. banks are not stupid about these things, they have sophisticated algorithms that can detect when multiple cases of frauds all have a connecting location it was used at (ie. point roberts), they start investigating and people get busted.

daval 05-23-2013 11:05 PM

i often p2p, thanks for the heads up.

SDU 05-24-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riley_ (Post 8244037)
I have a capital one mastercard that sends you an email / text RIGHT AWAY (real-time) when a transaction over "xxx" amount is charged on the card. You can adjust the amount threshold but the minimum is $20. There's another option to set an alert if any transaction is made out of Canada.

Pretty sweet feature and peace of mind.

TD Visa has the same feature.

https://www.tdrewards.com/mobilealertsfaq

a90a93 05-24-2013 05:09 PM

Both times my credit card was compromised at P2P it was the "bigger" Girl that helped me (and helped herself) at the desk.

TheKingdom2000 05-24-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDU (Post 8244902)
TD Visa has the same feature.

https://www.tdrewards.com/mobilealertsfaq

NO idea TD Visa had this.
Thanks!!!