REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   SARS 2: Rise of the Coronavirus (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684596-sars-2-rise-coronavirus.html)

El Bastardo 05-28-2013 03:43 PM

SARS 2: Rise of the Coronavirus

Quote:

A new SARS-like virus recently found in humans is "a threat to the entire world," according to the director-general of the United Nations' World Health Organization.

The so-called novel coronavirus "is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself," Margaret Chan said Monday in her closing remarks at the 66th World Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.

The world needs to pull together its resources to properly tackle the virus which, Chan said, is her "greatest concern" at present.

Novel coronavirus is part of a family called coronaviruses, which cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, as well as a variety of animal diseases. However, the new virus is not SARS.

The virus had infected 44 people worldwide as of last week, most of them in the Middle East, according to the World Health Organization's most recent update Thursday. Half of them have died.

Novel coronavirus acts like a cold virus and attacks the respiratory system, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said. But symptoms, which include fever and a cough, are severe and can lead to pneumonia and kidney failure. Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea have also been seen, according to the WHO.

It's not yet known how humans contract the virus, experts have said. Most of the cases so far have been seen in older men with other medical conditions; precise numbers are hard to come by, as officials don't know how many people might contract a mild form
New SARS-like virus is a 'threat to the entire world' - CNN.com

GabAlmighty 05-28-2013 03:59 PM

You quoted CNN, nuff said i'm not even gonna read the article.

BrRsn 05-28-2013 04:01 PM

better start drinking to get my blood alcohol up to detoxify my blood of potential pathogens.

StylinRed 05-28-2013 04:10 PM

Been following the story since last year and one thing to note is that it seems to have a difficult time spreading

Basically half of those who've contracted have died which is scary

5 new cases were reported discovered today in Saudi Arabia

RRxtar 05-28-2013 04:13 PM

oh thank god! it has been a couple of summers since i've had something to be afraid of!

murd0c 05-28-2013 04:28 PM

Damn I guess I will cancel my trip to the middle east now

Gridlock 05-28-2013 04:53 PM

just gonna leave this here:

Pandemic 2: Disease Mutation Game - Wipe Out Humanity | Disease | Free Online Games | SkunkSoup

dangonay 05-28-2013 05:15 PM

This virus was genetically created by the Zionists. This is why it's spreading in the Middle East - they're going to wipe out all Arabs/Muslims and convince the world it's just a naturally occurring mutated version of SARS.

adambomb 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

I don't care who gets wiped out, just as long as I can still buy Corona's. :5shots:

Kidnapman 05-28-2013 05:25 PM

:alonehappy:

StylinRed 05-28-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 8248092)
This virus was genetically created by the Zionists. This is why it's spreading in the Middle East - they're going to wipe out all Arabs/Muslims and convince the world it's just a naturally occurring mutated version of SARS.

interestingly there were actually reports decades ago that Israel was attempting to create a biogenetic weapon to kill arabs (which would include a large amount of jews) supposedly Israel worked with South African scientists in developing them (who were trying to make a weapon to kill blacks)
the "breaking news" was revealed by two prominent journalists but ultimately the story died away

there's a blurb about it in wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_bioweapon
Quote:

In November 1998, The Sunday Times reported that Israel was attempting to build an "ethno-bomb" containing a biological agent that could specifically target genetic traits present amongst Arab populations.[7] Wired News also reported the story,[8][9] as did Foreign Report.[10]
The article was quickly denounced as a hoax. Microbiologists and geneticists were skeptical towards the scientific plausibility of such a biological agent.[11] The New York Post, describing the claims as "blood libel", reported that the likely source for the story was a work of science fiction by Israeli academic Doron Stanitsky. Stanitsky had sent his completely fictional work about such a weapon to Israeli newspapers two years before. The article also noted the views of genetic researchers who claimed the idea as "wholly fantastical", with others claiming that the weapon was theoretically possible.[12]
A planned second installment of the article never appeared, and no sources were ever identified. Neither of the authors of the Sunday Times story, Uzi Mahnaimi and Marie Colvin, have spoken publicly on the matter[citation needed].