REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Is this covered by comprehensive insurance? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685102-covered-comprehensive-insurance.html)

chr1s 06-11-2013 08:18 AM

Is this covered by comprehensive insurance?

Question for you guys re: insurance coverage.

I forgot to latch my hood properly, and it blew up and wrecked my windshield on the highway. The hood and windshield both need to be replaced.

Is this covered by comprehensive insurance? ie. windshield replacement due to flying object? Is this route even worth doing? I estimate about 250 for hood and 250 for windshield repair (97 4runner).

Thanks,
Chris

dared3vil0 06-11-2013 10:49 AM

Way easier and about the same as the deductible, makes no sense to go through icbc if it's only 500 in damage.

jlenko 06-13-2013 08:13 PM

Single vehicle incident... it's collision and your insurance rates will skyrocket.

I don't think it's worth it in your case...

dai3yuen 06-15-2013 10:46 AM

It's considered a comprehensive claim. Go through ICBC.

It's NOT a single vehicle accident because a car cannot collide with itself.

jlenko 06-15-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dai3yuen (Post 8261187)
It's NOT a single vehicle accident because a car cannot collide with itself.

I didn't say it was a single vehicle accident. Don't put words into my mouth. I wrote it was a single vehicle INCIDENT.

I've actually had this happen to me before, so sadly I can speak from experience. When I was 17 and driving my second new-to-me car, I noticed the brake light was on, so I reached down to pull the brake lever as it was down by my left foot on my previous car... unfortunately, it wasn't on this car, but the hood release was.. so my hood opened at 80 km/h (scared the crap out of me!) and it destroyed the hood and shattered the windshield.

Unless ICBC has changed things in the last 20 years.. it's considered a collision claim. In fact, checking ICBC's website "That's where Collision coverage helps you. It covers repairs to your vehicle if it's damaged in a crash, no matter who was at fault. "

dai3yuen 06-15-2013 12:26 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Just read too fast.

Anyways, speaking from experience as working as an ICBC adjuster, it is covered by comprehensive as I stated before, a car cannot collide with itself, which is what is happening. Hood flies up and hits windscreen.

But having said that, I will double check on Monday.

dai3yuen 06-17-2013 10:07 PM

Confirmed today in procedures manual as I stated before, a car cannot collide with itself, so it would be covered under Comprehensive coverage.

It's no different as if when you open your door and a huge gust of wind blows it open and your door gets bent and hits your fender.

Now if the door were to hit a tree or something else, then that would be another story altogether....

freakshow 06-19-2013 02:12 PM

Do you have references in your manual that he could use in case the adjuster tries to argue the other way?