REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Rogers proposing to build a cellphone tower in West Vancouver with different colours (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685204-rogers-proposing-build-cellphone-tower-west-vancouver-different-colours.html)

PeanutButter 06-13-2013 03:32 PM

Rogers proposing to build a cellphone tower in West Vancouver with different colours

http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/up...1076903291.jpghttp://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/up...1077169475.jpg
Quote:

Carriers invest millions of dollars every year to improve cellphone coverage by installing antennas and towers. You’ve probably seen these massive eyesores staring back at you while driving, but recently there’s been desire from the general public to come up a less obtrusive tower designs. We’ve seen towers pop up in the form of a cross on Church land, plus ones that look like trees in the Muskoka area.

A new cell tower is potentially being dreamed up in Vancouver’s North Shore. The region currently has spotty coverage due to the high elevation and mountains. According to a report in The North Shore Outlook, Rogers is planning an ‘innovative’ idea that could bring a whole new level of tower design.

Apparently Rogers hired Vancouver-based architect firm Dialog to design towers that “won’t have any visible antenna.” The proposed towers are 36-metres high and allow for “graphics and different colours” to be embedded into the design, plus have “the possibility of lights to create a kind of public art.” Sounds like a big ad, or possibly the same experience of the CN Tower in Toronto. The pictures gives a good indication of what residents will possibly see, but the government might have an issue with distracted driving if there’s a light show happening.
Rogers proposing to build a cellphone tower in West Vancouver with different colours and "lights to create a kind of public art" | MobileSyrup.com)

Lomac 06-13-2013 03:36 PM

I like it, actually.

It'll still be shot down by all the NIMBY's.

godwin 06-13-2013 03:37 PM

I am waiting for the ignorant parents who will complain that the tower will make their kids mad.

RRxtar 06-13-2013 03:44 PM

Its my understanding that 4G coverage needs towers like, everyfuckinwhere. like every neighbourhood kind of thing. They are popping up all over the place

Gotta love the "I want better coverage. but I don't want a tower near me"

bcrdukes 06-13-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8260088)
Its my understanding that 4G coverage needs towers like, everyfuckinwhere.

Correct. This is due to the inherent design of the technology and radio properties, paired by the spectrum available among other factors. Radio pilot pollution and external interference is 4G's worst enemies. (By 4G, I am referring to UMTS / HSPA.)

StylinRed 06-13-2013 03:48 PM

i prefer the towers that look like trees a gaudy tower that they're proposing sounds like even more of an eyesore than a straight up tower

drunkrussian 06-13-2013 08:27 PM

fyi dialog did the funky new hootsuite offices

so here's to hoping that perhaps this tower will have beer integrated into it too

Hondaracer 06-13-2013 08:43 PM

The 4G in Seattle absolutely murders Rogers LTE I can't even use the LTE with my 5
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 06-13-2013 08:44 PM

Why don't they just erect a giant cock because they fuck us all in the ass with their rates anyways

brb paying $80 a month for 2 gigs of data when half that gets you unlimited data in the states

FerrariEnzo 06-14-2013 01:00 AM

lol its their money... I dnt see the point in it unless if makes the towers have better reception/signals.. otherwise, just waste of money

wstce92 06-14-2013 01:46 AM

omg, I hope this happens. For the sake of people in West Van
Everytime I was up at my parents' place in West Van. The second I got pulled onto their street I lost all reception. It was like the friggin twilight zone.

Manic! 06-14-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8260272)
Why don't they just erect a giant cock because they fuck us all in the ass with their rates anyways

brb paying $80 a month for 2 gigs of data when half that gets you unlimited data in the states

If you complain enough they will give you a better deal. I'm paying $65 for 6 gigs.

sonick 06-14-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8260272)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8260455)
If you complain enough they will give you a better deal. I'm paying $65 for 6 gigs.

+1. US and Canada phone rates are actually pretty similar, you just got a terribly shitty deal.

metal 06-14-2013 09:15 AM

Even without complaining or negotiating, I got unlimited canada wide local and long distance calling, unlimited sms/mms, 3 gigs of data for $55.

pastarocket 06-14-2013 09:16 AM

Would the different colours of this tower be a distraction to drivers?

Rogers mentions an "innovative" design for this thing. They are going for the "Christmas tree with lights" look?

sonick 06-14-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8260529)
Would the different colours of this tower be a distraction to drivers?

Far from distracting compared to the new bright high def digital billboards New West has along their bridges.

Everymans 06-14-2013 04:07 PM

I'm down with rogers throwing some of their millions to make their very industrial hideous buildings look cool. Always nice to see big companies supporting the arts and doing something different.