REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, & Security Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/audio-video-security-tech_10/)
-   -   Installing a double din for the first time, no "amplifier turn on" wire. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685216-installing-double-din-first-time-no-amplifier-turn-wire.html)

dboy 06-13-2013 08:17 PM

Installing a double din for the first time, no "amplifier turn on" wire.

I'm trying to connect the harness and in the instructions, it says to connect a blue/white wire to the radio's "amplifier turn on" wire but the harness that came with my new stereo doesn't have a blue/white wire. Only a blue wire that is the power antenna.

This is the manual if you want to take a look at it.

http://www.carid.com/images/axxess/a...structions.pdf

fliptuner 06-13-2013 08:52 PM

Posting the deck model number would help.

Or a pic of the wiring harness coming off the back of the deck.

BrRsn 06-13-2013 08:54 PM

Is there a remote wire?

Remote wire = 'turn on' wire

A few decks I've had, it's been green

Anyways, deck model + vehicle information would be great

Spidey 06-13-2013 09:09 PM

all the ones I have had have been either blue or blue/white on the harness... regardless, the harness you got should have the colour codes on the package

Raid3n 06-13-2013 09:18 PM

some decks have a "remote" wire that gets power when the deck turns on. you can use that to activate a factory or aftermarket amp afaik.

Spidey 06-13-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8260311)
some decks have a "remote" wire that gets power when the deck turns on. you can use that to activate a factory or aftermarket amp afaik.

if he is installing the double din, and assuming he got an aftermarket harness, it should have the remote wire as well (and should be blue or blue/white).. I am going to guess he does not have a harness and is just splicing if he can't find the wire.

To the OP, to make things easier for you and for you not to have to cut cut up your stock wires, get an aftermarket harness that connects to your cars harness AND your new radios harness for easier installation

installerz 06-14-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8260255)
I'm trying to connect the harness and in the instructions, it says to connect a blue/white wire to the radio's "amplifier turn on" wire but the harness that came with my new stereo doesn't have a blue/white wire. Only a blue wire that is the power antenna.

This is the manual if you want to take a look at it.

http://www.carid.com/images/axxess/a...structions.pdf

It's broken. Send it back :smug:

orgasm_donor 06-16-2013 12:18 PM

What kind of car is it? We have literally millions of wiring colours and codes on hand at the shop. Maybe we can help you find the right wire or get you going in the right direction.

Spidey 06-16-2013 06:51 PM

seems like OP either blew up his car or figured it out.

BrRsn 06-16-2013 07:34 PM

Maybe he hooked up the power cable to his headlight cable or something .. ghetto-rigged it so it only works when his headlights are on :fuckthatshit:

jbsali 06-16-2013 08:31 PM

you should be able to just tap into a switch-power wire.

orgasm_donor 06-16-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8261786)
Maybe he hooked up the power cable to his headlight cable or something .. ghetto-rigged it so it only works when his headlights are on :fuckthatshit:

Not far from the truth there^^

I have a feeling the orange/white wire was improperly hooked up
Posted via RS Mobile

fliptuner 06-16-2013 09:25 PM

Maybe he said fuck it and T-tapped it to the ign....lol

Or worse, batt. hahaha.

dboy 06-16-2013 10:12 PM

Wow I totally forgot about this topic I made because it got moved.

I still haven't figured it out. The double din was given to me as a gift. It has literally no brand name label on it whatsoever so I don't know the brand, the model #, etc. No booklet, nothing.

I bought an aftermarket harness and it is the CORRECT harness. My car is an 07 Lincoln MKZ with THX. A reviewer on Amazon reviewed it for this same car and he said it worked. All I have to do is connect this harness to the stereo's harness and just plug it into my car.

The booklet says I have to connect a blue/white wire to the AMPLIFIER TURN ON wire. The harness that came with my stereo has NO blue/white amplifier turn on wire.

EDIT: The brand of the double din is "Ouku". It's one of those cheap ones from Ebay.

BrRsn 06-16-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8261889)
Wow I totally forgot about this topic I made because it got moved.

I still haven't figured it out. The double din was given to me as a gift. It has literally no brand name label on it whatsoever so I don't know the brand, the model #, etc. No booklet, nothing.

I bought an aftermarket harness and it is the CORRECT harness. My car is an 07 Lincoln MKZ with THX. A reviewer on Amazon reviewed it for this same car and he said it worked. All I have to do is connect this harness to the stereo's harness and just plug it into my car.

The booklet says I have to connect a blue/white wire to the AMPLIFIER TURN ON wire. The harness that came with my stereo has NO blue/white amplifier turn on wire.

The amplifier turn on wire is just a wire that sends a 12 volt signal only when the headunit is on -- in theory you can use any wire to do this as long as its only active when the ignition is on.

Have you figured out what cables are front speakers/rear speakers? If yes, you could just get a multimeter and just check all the extra wires coming from the headunit to determine which one is the remote one (it should show +12 volt when the head unit is turned on) .... or you could drop by a stereoshop -- it shouldn't be too expensive for them to figure it out

fliptuner 06-16-2013 11:30 PM

Don't even need a multimeter, even a testlight will do.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...mod-slide1.jpg

Spidey 06-17-2013 06:18 PM

I thought the amplifier turn on wire goes to the amp, not to the head unit.. I never hooked up the blue amp turn on wire to my head unit... only to my amp, as amps require a turn on, power, and ground connection.

catalin 06-17-2013 09:10 PM

lol.. I can tell that the pro's were waiting to see how long this plays out for.. Connect the blue power antenna from your stereo to the blue and blue/white wires of your aftermarket stereo harness and it should all work... should.. :)

dboy 06-17-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalin (Post 8262514)
lol.. I can tell that the pro's were waiting to see how long this plays out for.. Connect the blue power antenna from your stereo to the blue and blue/white wires of your aftermarket stereo harness and it should all work... should.. :)

What? Blue AND blue/wires to the blue power antenna?

fliptuner 06-17-2013 09:31 PM

You bolded it and still copied it wrong? :fulloffuck:

BLUE wire off deck -> BLUE and BLUE/WHITE wires on harness.

catalin 06-17-2013 09:32 PM

Yes, you're over thinking it really..

Stereo has a blue power antenna wire? Aftermarket has a blue/white and blue wire? Connect them all together and it will be fine. Or better yet, have someone install it for you if you're not sure.
Posted via RS Mobile

dboy 06-17-2013 09:44 PM

Oh, you can connect 3 wires together?! I never knew that. This is my first time.

NOW the instructions make sense. Thanks I will try it and report back.