REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Wobbly front end after new steering wheel into JDM ITR (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685795-wobbly-front-end-after-new-steering-wheel-into-jdm-itr.html)

gwh0803 07-01-2013 01:22 PM

Wobbly front end after new steering wheel into JDM ITR

Hey all,

I've recently installed a momo wheel and hub into my car. I took out the SRS reel and soldered on a 2W 4.3kohm resistor to bridge the circuit. Since no SRS light popped up, I assumed that it is fine.

Though after about 100km of driving with new steering wheel, the front end of the car begins to wobble left and right with frequencies proportional to speed. I've checked all lug nuts and they've been properly torqued to 80lb ft. Basically speeds above 60km/h is incredibly iffy.

I believe the noise is coming from the front left side of my car and it may be something being loose there. I have yet to check because I've been working OT everyday for the past week. [Just noticed that yesterday afternoon]

Given such strange situation, I am looking for guidance from the members in this forum regarding this matter, for I really can't even wrap my mind around how a new steering wheel can cause this.

Thanks,
B.

SpuGen 07-01-2013 03:27 PM

Does the Steering Wheel shake?

Or is it coming from the wheels?

Check your Tie Rods/Ball joints for play.
Make Sure your torqued the Steering Wheel Hub down.
Get your wheels balanced.

My guess: Your wheels are unbalanced.
Bring it to Speed Syndicate, and get them to check for play in your suspension arms while it's on the lift.

gwh0803 07-05-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 8272471)
Does the Steering Wheel shake?

Or is it coming from the wheels?

Check your Tie Rods/Ball joints for play.
Make Sure your torqued the Steering Wheel Hub down.
Get your wheels balanced.

My guess: Your wheels are unbalanced.
Bring it to Speed Syndicate, and get them to check for play in your suspension arms while it's on the lift.

Hey man,

Thank you for your input. I've finally took the time to jack up my car to inspect each of the wheels. All lug nuts and steering wheel bolts have been tightened properly to specific torque. Front wheel bearings are secured with no play when being moved up and down but has a bit of play when moved in the horizontal direction. My friend says that is not normal but I argued that it's due to the steering that there should be a tiny amount of movement.

Thoughts?

In any case, I am having all the tires re-balanced tomorrow in a reputable shop nearby.

Puck Luck 07-06-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwh0803 (Post 8272402)
Basically speeds above 60km/h is incredibly iffy.

at what speed do you start to feel the wobble?

gwh0803 07-06-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 8275403)
at what speed do you start to feel the wobble?

around 60km/h. At lower speeds, it is less obvious, but an imbalanced sound from tires rotating when cruising in neutral is a huge cue.

Puck Luck 07-06-2013 11:07 AM

if your feeling the vibrations at less than 60 km i doubt its wheel balance. They would have to be ridiculously out to feel at that lower speed. To me it allmost sounds like a belt has separated in a tire

gwh0803 07-06-2013 06:29 PM

Slight update:

while on the hoist, the rear trailing arm bushing was noticeably cracked and the rear tie rods have play (not news since when I bought the car, I'm already aware of the tie rod play issue). They initially couldn't determine what the problem was and those seemed to be the only issue in the under body. Of course, an alignment has to follow afterwards.

It was not until much later that they've realized that the front axle bearing is causing all the problem. Since they're closed tomorrow and they don't have the part ready. I will have to return next week to replace the part.

Just posting this for the record and I hope this thread helps answer someone's question in the future.

fliptuner 07-06-2013 07:44 PM

Changing the steering wheel has nothing to do with any of the vibration/wobbling. If anything, it just made it more noticeable (assuming the MOMO is smaller than your stock wheel).

The only thing you can do now is tighten the hub nut to put more torque on the bearings. Obviously, the bearing should be replaced.

If you still have a vibration after the bearings are done, try switching your wheels front to back and vv.

Puck Luck 07-06-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwh0803 (Post 8275762)
while on the hoist, the rear trailing arm bushing was noticeably cracked and the rear tie rods have play (not news since when I bought the car, I'm already aware of the tie rod play issue).

Rear tie rods? what car is this?
Don't think i've personally ever seen a wheel bearing cause a wobble in the front end. Ususaly causes a humming noise. Turns to a growling noise when its gotten worse. Not saying it can't cause a wobble, but in my opinion, not too common.
Unless that large axle nut has come loose and the bearing is seperating...then that would be serious

gwh0803 07-09-2013 02:35 PM

Hey all,

The car is a JDM Integra Type R. I've checked in online forums and other shops around town and it turns out to be the intermediate shaft bearing having play. I stand to be corrected, but it seems to be a pretty common issue for ITRs based on what I read online.

This is the source of the problem (highlighted).
Attachment 17712