REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Recommendations for Suit Tailor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685829-recommendations-suit-tailor.html)

SkunkWorks 07-02-2013 03:07 PM

Recommendations for Suit Tailor

Looking for a good suit tailor to do some alterations on my suit. Does anyone know of a good place in Vancouver/Burnaby?

zetazeta 07-03-2013 08:06 AM

I believe this will be helpful. Advice from those more knowledgeable:

Good tailor in Vancouver?

CCA-Dave 07-30-2013 10:16 AM

One of the best tailors in Vancouver is Albert at Albert's Tailor:
Albert's Tailor - Downtown Vancouver BC

There are three types of GOOD tailors: Those who do quality alterations, those who know what's stylish and current, those who know what's stylish AND can alter a garment with quality. Albert is the first type. I haven't been able to find the third type in Vancouver.

Albert is super cheap, relatively quick (3pc suit done in a week), and very high quality work. He does, however, come with a few unique traits that you have to be aware of:

1) He never shows up on time. Factor in on him being at least an hour late for opening the shop. Regulars all know this, and we often laugh and go have a coffee together while we wait for him to arrive. Seriously.

2) Albert does amazing work, but don't expect him to tell you how to alter for style, you need to tell him. He can measure, pin, alter to fit without any direction. But cuff, straight leg? You better know what you want.

3) Cash only.

-Dave

unit 07-30-2013 11:49 AM

i dont know if i'd call alberts one of the best. i've had a blazer tailored by him and it was pretty cheap and a fairly good job, but there are better tailors out there.

Expresso 07-31-2013 08:18 AM

I'm with unit, Albert did an OK job repairing my jeans. Ultimately it got the job done, but it probably could have been better and the stitching looked messy. I probably still go back for jeans because the price I paid, I can't expect much. For suits, I may reconsider. Also him strolling in whenever he wants and not adhering to hours bothers me. If you are constantly late, then change your store hours to later. It is such a waste of time.

FYI, his place was filled to the brim with J.Crew orders so he must be doing something right.

unit 07-31-2013 08:27 AM

thats how i got mine done. i know a guy at jcrew so i got a good deal on tailoring my suitsupply blazer. they just take it to alberts

dasani604 08-01-2013 08:46 AM

J. Crew is going with Albert because he's not shabby and charges a very good price for the average consumer (which means when J.Crew bulk orders alterations, it won't be as expensive as Townline Tailors or whoever Harry Rosen uses).

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8291751)
One of the best tailors in Vancouver is Albert at Albert's Tailor:
Albert's Tailor - Downtown Vancouver BC

There are three types of GOOD tailors: Those who do quality alterations, those who know what's stylish and current, those who know what's stylish AND can alter a garment with quality. Albert is the first type. I haven't been able to find the third type in Vancouver.

For your third type, I would say the closest to that is Oakridge Tailors. William knows what's in and he and his wife know how to get it done. It's obvious that it's best to have an idea of what kind of alterations you would like done to your suits; however, the nice touch about Oakridge tailors is they're able to give you a second opinion that fits the style you're going for.

unit 08-05-2013 02:27 PM

btw, this is perhaps the best and most expensive tailor around:

TAI PAN CUSTOM TAILORS

my friend at jcrew told me about them. to do several alterations on a jacket cost nearly $200, but if your stuff is expensive and you're demanding, you may want to give them a shot.