REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Gluten Free Eating (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685848-gluten-free-eating.html)

Soundy 07-04-2013 08:50 AM

I'm not vegetarian because I love animals, I'm vegetarian because I hate plants.

Spoiler!

Tapioca 07-05-2013 12:55 PM

I feel sorry for those who can't eat gluten for health reasons because no matter how you slice it, gluten-free baked goods taste like crap. I'm not talking about store-bought either: ever tried homemade gluten-free cookies? Ugh...

I don't eat wheat like I used to (I cut pasta, beer, and most bread and lost 10+ pounds in the process), but you need flour for things like cakes. Cut the pasta and save your gluten consumption for a slice of pie.
Posted via RS Mobile

gars 07-05-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8274996)
I feel sorry for those who can't eat gluten for health reasons because no matter how you slice it, gluten-free baked goods taste like crap. I'm not talking about store-bought either: ever tried homemade gluten-free cookies? Ugh...

I don't eat wheat like I used to (I cut pasta, beer, and most bread and lost 10+ pounds in the process), but you need flour for things like cakes. Cut the pasta and save your gluten consumption for a slice of pie.
Posted via RS Mobile

my gf's friend introduced me to this gluten-free flour called Cup4Cup, where you can substitute it 1 cup for 1 cup in any recipe. She made these amazingly delicious chocolate chip cookies with it. Apparently it's available in a lot of stores in Vancouver.

But it's true, there is a large number of gluten free goods on the market which taste terrible - AND are very expensive.

bloodmack 07-05-2013 08:54 PM

its all bullshit, all you need is a budweiser and some mother fuckin bbq ribs. I know someone who is following this fad like a fucking cult and it's ridiculous. What the fuck are you people gonna do if the world falls apart and you have to live off whatever you can find? Your bodies are gonna be so used to such a weak diet that when you have to eat to survive you'll be puking your guts out til you get used to it.

westopher 07-05-2013 11:26 PM

While unlikely, I have to agree. People are restricting their diets, and almost purposely developing intolerances. It disgusts me when people do that to their kids especially. No wonder there is generation of such fucking pussies being raised. "wahhh my son can only eat gluten free, dairy free, food colouring free, sugar free candy bars."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8274996)

Posted via RS Mobile

cup for cup works well for pastries actually, a whole shit ton better than breads. I'd rather have the pasta or the sandwich than the pie anyways. I love all the "celiacs" that have no problem with beer.

sdubfid 07-06-2013 12:15 AM

I only eat baptised organic animals fed gluten free that die peacefully in their sleep

SkinnyPupp 07-06-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8275267)
What the fuck are you people gonna do if the world falls apart and you have to live off whatever you can find? Your bodies are gonna be so used to such a weak diet that when you have to eat to survive you'll be puking your guts out til you get used to it.

I know you are being facetious, but in that unlikely scenario, people adatped to a gluten free diet are going to be better off than most. No more wheat, no more gluten... "whatever you can find" will be food that grows naturally in the wild - very little of which will have gluten in it :D

It's all the people who live off bread and pasta who are going to be suffering as their bodies make the transition

Next thing to disappear will be diabetes, so that's a good thing I guess ;)

As for beer, not all beers contain wheat or barley malt. In fact in Japan there is a whole market around low malt beer, because alcohol tax is based on how much malt it contains. In most cases, these "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happoshu" beers aren't very good, but there are a few that are decent when you consider the price difference (usually about 40-50% cheaper)

jack3d 07-06-2013 04:39 AM

bloodmack 07-06-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8275389)
I know you are being facetious, but in that unlikely scenario, people adatped to a gluten free diet are going to be better off than most. No more wheat, no more gluten... "whatever you can find" will be food that grows naturally in the wild - very little of which will have gluten in it :D

It's all the people who live off bread and pasta who are going to be suffering as their bodies make the transition

Next thing to disappear will be diabetes, so that's a good thing I guess ;)

As for beer, not all beers contain wheat or barley malt. In fact in Japan there is a whole market around low malt beer, because alcohol tax is based on how much malt it contains. In most cases, these "happoshu" beers aren't very good, but there are a few that are decent when you consider the price difference (usually about 40-50% cheaper)

Point taken.

IIRC, budweiser is made with rice or something along the lines of that.

miss_crayon 07-08-2013 04:02 PM

For me, I love my wheat and I honestly wasn't aware of just how bad of this allergy is/was until 3 years ago when I got together with my boyfriend. He has a few food allergies and wheat is one of them. Although he doesn't have it as bad (like his brother who is allergic to virtually everything..-wheat, dairy, seafood, EGGS..) it's definitely something we have to keep in mind when we are deciding what to eat and where to eat.

Speaking to his mom, gluten free products when he was a kid was difficult to find and very expensive to purchase..so I can definitely appreciate the awareness we have today. Gluten is literally in EVERYTHING and honestly a bit tough to find restaurants who don't use gluten in their cooking.

However, like many other "diets" or "lifestyle changes" that so many take..ultimately it is their choice..but for me I wouldn't cut it out for 2 reasons..it tastes too good and I don't necessarily believe you need to cut out something completely when you need to have a balance of everything you're having. Isn't it a golden rule to have everything in moderation? I mean I get it..it's a healthier choice when eating gluten free and I will say the benefits are nice..but it's not for me to stop cold turkey.

We, as a society nowadays are much more aware of what goes into our bodies. Our sophistication on health has reached levels that can sometimes be a little aggressive but it is what it is.

On that note, a great gluten free bakery I frequent often is Lemonade. She is AMAZING when it comes to making her baked treats into something amazing. I could eat her double chocolate cookies EVERYDAY. A little pricey compared to your everyday item at the supermarkets..but for me it's worth it because I DO have someone in my life who has an allergy. I just hope our children can avoid this sad fate that are food allergies.

Tapioca 07-08-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8275104)
my gf's friend introduced me to this gluten-free flour called Cup4Cup, where you can substitute it 1 cup for 1 cup in any recipe. She made these amazingly delicious chocolate chip cookies with it. Apparently it's available in a lot of stores in Vancouver.

But it's true, there is a large number of gluten free goods on the market which taste terrible - AND are very expensive.

I'll let my girlfriend know about Cup4Cup, but I see no reason to really change as she makes probably some of the best gluten-based baked goods in the city. There's no substitute for proper flours, such as pastry flour or cake flour, particularly organic varieties.

A great gluten-free product are Mary's Crackers. Expensive, but highly addictive.

DanHibiki 08-06-2013 10:03 PM

Hey guys I'm 2 weeks in on my gluten free diet. It ain't easy at all though! Ugh.

I'm doing it because I have spondyloarthritis which is a type of rheumatoid arthritis disease. Since I stopped eating gluten my joints feel better as they are much less inflamed.

My friend had recommended it to me after reading a book called Wheat Belly by William Davis. He pretty much says modern wheat is the cause of most problems and especially weight gain because wheat today has been so genetically modified and processed that its no longer real wheat.

Didnt think to check if there was a thread on this on rs. Time to catch up on reading this thread.
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 08-06-2013 10:17 PM

It's easy once you get used to it. For a long time I rarely ate gluten, but that doesn't mean I would go around eating all this 'gluten free' junk food. I didn't even really think of it, it's just how my diet worked itself out after making it a lot healthier. Eliminating pasta and bread gets rid of most of it. Make various forms of rice and potatoes your staple carb if you need one.

Neoxphuse 08-28-2013 10:26 AM

My GF has been telling me to eat 'wheat-less' for the last year. Haven't really paid much attention, and still having a belly for most of my life I decided to go for it. I started working out last Sept., and finally changed my diet about 2 months ago. I've stopped eating wheat as much as I can. I will have the odd sandwich here or there, maybe once or twice a week. But cutting out pasta and bread were the two big things. The other thing I cut out was coffee. I would have a bagel and a coffee every morning for the last 3 years. I've lost 25 lbs of fat with regular exercise. I wouldn't say wheat is bad, but it takes way too long to digest and us people consume probably more than we need.

wingies 08-28-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanHibiki (Post 8296038)

My friend had recommended it to me after reading a book called Wheat Belly by William Davis. He pretty much says modern wheat is the cause of most problems and especially weight gain because wheat today has been so genetically modified and processed that its no longer real wheat.

Posted via RS Mobile

Did anyone else read this book that they can chime in? I've heard that most of what he says has been debunked or proven as bs.

DanHibiki 08-28-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingies (Post 8309417)
Did anyone else read this book that they can chime in? I've heard that most of what he says has been debunked or proven as bs.

Do u have a link to this debunking?
Posted via RS Mobile

stewie 08-28-2013 09:32 PM

for those that have to eat gluten free, go for it.

the ones who do it just for the hell of it irritate me...its *the new flavor of the month*

try dating a girl who eats gluten free, sugar free, no alcohol, and organic....I did it once....horrible...going out for dinners doesn't exist and your pretty much limited to doing nothing but playing fucking board games and watching movies.

ill never go gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, keto, and any other *try this diet* bullshit. im healthy and fit..well...somewhat fit lol, my current diet is something like this:

am I hungry > yes > is food readily available wherever I am? > yes > buy it/make it and eat it.

DanHibiki 08-28-2013 09:48 PM

I'm doing it because I have to for my health problems. Otherwise I'd rape ALL the foods!
Posted via RS Mobile