REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Saying grace/prayers in large public events inappropriate? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685956-saying-grace-prayers-large-public-events-inappropriate.html)

Hondaracer 07-08-2013 06:47 PM

Christmas is so engrained in North American culture that's really a moot point.

If somone wanted me to call it super special present time id call it that If it was a problem, the notion of Christ's birthday does not cross my mind at Christmas and is irrelevant in this discussion as far as I'm concerned
Posted via RS Mobile

bing 07-08-2013 07:24 PM

Why do people have to complain about such small things? this was not thread worthy. Suck it up buttercup.

As a host, I personally wouldn't do a prayer unless it was at a religious function. But if it happened, I'd just show respect to the hosts and keep silent. Not like a prayer takes that long.

MG1 07-08-2013 07:37 PM

I don't think everybody here is complaining, really. Just pointing it out and thought it weird. No need to "suck it up". I guess everything on RS has to be blown out of proportion or it's not thread worthy. Are some christians butt hurt here or something? BTW, where's CIC?

Stir the pot, stir the pot.......

From OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8275189)
What do you think?

snip, snip, snip.......

I felt it was completely inappropriate to have such a prayer especially considering this event was completely unrelated ..

He asked, "What do you think?" And, people gave their opinions.

godwin 07-08-2013 07:44 PM

I thought it is the other way round.. atheist got invited to a private fund raiser event, got offended by the need to say grace and disapproval glances.

As I had said before.. it is a private event.. no one is stopping you from attending or leaving. Want to stir the pot more.. do the FnF6 thing and add the line "and thank you for fast cars!" loudly so everyone can hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8277124)
Are some christians butt hurt here or something?

MG1 07-08-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8277129)
I thought it is the other way round.. atheist got invited to a private fund raiser event, got offended by the need to say grace and disapproval glances.

As I had said before.. it is a private event.. no one is stopping you from attending or leaving. Want to stir the pot more.. do the FnF6 thing and add the line "and thank you for fast cars!" loudly so everyone can hear.

Wow, I'm talking about people here on RS being butt hurt.

Oh.......... god win.......... I get it. nvm

god bless

dinosaur 07-08-2013 07:52 PM

ill fucking co-sign "super special present time".

has a nice ring to it.

super special present time is a little more difficult to work into songs, but i am will to commit.

SkinnyPupp 07-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8277087)
Christmas is so engrained in North American culture that's really a moot point.

If somone wanted me to call it super special present time id call it that If it was a problem, the notion of Christ's birthday does not cross my mind at Christmas and is irrelevant in this discussion as far as I'm concerned
Posted via RS Mobile

I celebrated xmas all my life, and it was never about jesus for us or most of my friends. It was (at first) about getting awesome presents from Santa, and later spending time with family, and giving gifts, love, donations, and eating great food.

MG1 07-08-2013 08:07 PM

OK, I'll admit it. I like Christmas for what it is......... about giving and loving and sharing. I love those Boney M songs, too. As a Buddhist, I can celebrate other religions. I embrace the Christmas spirit.

Oh, the music. So much good music thanks to christian faith. Norman Greenbaum<sp?> - Spirit in the Sky! Gregorian Chant, Ave Maria, the list goes on. Gospel music, by far, my favourite.

OK, this thread is now about great christian music. Y'all contribute now, ya hear?

SkinnyPupp 07-08-2013 08:18 PM

Xmas music drives me crazy but my wife loves it :badpokerface:

Luckily I only ever have to hear it for one month a year :)

MG1 07-08-2013 09:08 PM

You must not have kids... wait till you have to attend Xmas concerts and musicals.

Ronin 07-08-2013 10:45 PM

How about we just all keep our religions to ourselves and not be offended by other people's beliefs?

I can't imagine someone being offended by others saying grace...and at the same time, I can't imagine those people being offended by people not participating in their prayers. It seems stupid to be offended by something that doesn't affect you. It's about as stupid as straight people being against gay marriage. Probably even stupider.

And if people are offended, who cares?

MG1 07-08-2013 11:00 PM

RS = gathering of the best theologians of all time.

CRS 07-08-2013 11:32 PM

After ignoring this thread for the past couple of days...

My reaction when coming in and reading some posts:

:inout:

LiquidTurbo 07-09-2013 06:24 AM

Well what are you going to expect.. OP asked, and he got polarizing opinions..

Soundy 07-09-2013 07:04 AM

http://www.tapeworkstexas.com/media/..._polarizer.jpg

GLOW 07-09-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8277139)
ill fucking co-sign "super special present time".

has a nice ring to it.

super special present time is a little more difficult to work into songs, but i am will to commit.

i'm picturing it being advertised like a japanese game show with crazy music and a host dressed in a really loud outfit with tons of crowd laughter. don't worry about working it in to songs...if they have a peanut butter jelly time song...it can be worked in