REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
2-Wheelin' Mod

Let's talk tyres!

I love rubber.

I like the smell. I have stacked r-compound tyres in my house during the winter. I clean my tyres... for some reason, I have typically been addicted to them... researching, racing and trying new brands, compounds and treads.... my favourite tire of all time is the Bridgestone RE070.... perfect blend of street and track performance....

The problem is I know NOTHING about bike tyres..... my bike currently has Dunlop Qualifiers front/rear.... they are VERY close to the end of their life. I can't really rate their performance as I have not been comfortable enough to push this bike hard yet and because I am weary about the life left in them....

What I need/want is the following and I'm hoping the amazing people here can lend some advice :

-shops : suggestions for local shops that provide web-based prices and terrific service. I do NOT take my cars to be serviced by hacks... if I can't do it myself, I will pay somebody that is capable of treating my stuff like I would.... I have already heard some serious horror stories from certain shops but because I didn't personally experience it I won't mention them.... I prefer to buy local if shops can come close to web prices....

-brand/model : almost everything I have read suggests that the current tyre on the bike is a very good model..... that said, I won't be changing models every week so if I have an opportunity to go in a different direction based on your feedback I would like to.

-this bike has never seen rain and nor do I ever intend to take it in rain...

Would love to hear your suggestions for a) shops/service and b) tyres for performance/daily-riding....

Thanks team!

Mark
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
bayside performance and pilot power 3 hands down.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
2-Wheelin' Mod

I dropped by Bayside's local shop... pretty underwhelmed by the presentation but I know it's largely a web-based operation... do they do fittings or just sell the equipment?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
they sell and install.

bayside has really grown since....they use to just have a office and install bay at their old location. Now they got a actual show room at their new location.

they sell used bike parts as well, and old lcd monitors too lol

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I only use pirelli now nothing else.

Started with bridgestone and moved onto diablo rosso corsa, those street tyres are probably one of the best out there. That being said, pilot power 3 is probably as par to the pirelli DRC.

I've also tried the Supercorsa V2 from pirelli. Amazing tyres but won't last as long. It really depends what you are looking for.

If you are looking for something that will last more than one season with overall good grip go for pilot powers. (or Power pure but not sure how long they last)

If you are looking for pure performance and faster tyre heat up go for pirellis DRC or SC (but less life).

Just ordered a set of Pirelli Superbike slicks for my race bike. I'll give some feedback later compared to the DOT SC's

As for your local shop - I also recommend bayside because my tyres were mounted by them and they do a pretty good job.

1987 AE86
1999 Honda EK
2001 AP1 S2000
2009 Mitsubishi EVO IX
2009 Honda Ridgeline
2015 Subaru STi
2015 BMW F82 M4
Naka San is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
get some 360 tires!

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Dunlop Q2 - cheapest, amazing grip, stiff carcass, good tread life, takes a little longer to heat up, ok in the rain. you need to push a little harder to get the extra grip out of these tires, whereas the rosso corsa will heat up and grip a little faster.

Pirelli Rosso Corsa - most expensive, arguably slightly down on grip from the Q2(but much more than we can possibly ever use on the street), soft carcass, mediocre tread life, heats up quick, ok in the rain. I'd probably pick these ones for my next street tire just because the handling characteristics of pirellis suit my riding style a little better. and i'm not a fan of the stiff carcass on the dunlop.

Michelin Pilot Power 3 - price is in between Q2 and PRC, not too sure about the grip characteristics but i know they have really good tread life and are the best out of the 3 in the wet.

dunno if this is relevant but ive run DOT race tires from both dunlop and pirelli and i really like the pirelli. shitty thing is the dunlop rear tire lasted me about 9 track days, and it looks like this pirelli rear tire is only gonna last me 3 lol.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I bought the Michelin Pilot Power 3 purchased from and installed by Bayside, put about 500kms on them and I'm happy with them. Bayside has good service but the location is kind of hard to find if you've never been.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 07-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Rider

Hello Sunfighter,

I here really good reviews from the Michelin Pilot Road 3 have great reviews and judging by your first bike thread. You cruise around quite a bit, so I heard these tires have great tire life and tread pattern for more Vancouver like weather we got here (Raincouver ?) If you are interested we should do a group by.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I bought the Power Pilot 3 purchased from and installed from Bayside, put about 500kms on them and I'm happy with them. Bayside has good service but the location is kind of hard to find if you've never been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAYSIDE 8410 FRASER.jpg (144.0 KB, 0 views)
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Ya ,once you've been there no problem. There is no sign so if you've never been and you're looking for a sign you could be riding around the block a few times like yours truly.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i've only had experience with the pilot power's but haven't tried the pilot power 3's yet. will consider the 3's or the diablo rosso's for my next set. so far though, the pilot power's have treated me pretty well. grips quite well in cold weather and is awesome when it's warmed up. the life and tread are still pretty good so these would definately last more than a season. i'd most likely get my tires done at bayside since i pass by there daily from work
kev1n9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Had a set of Bridgestone BT-45 tires on my cafe racer. I quite liked them. Lots of grip and are supposedly long lasting. I bought them partly because a lot of the guys on BC Sport Bikes rode on them for several seasons and reported great results. And at the time, the tires were on sale and significantly cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Power equivalent. Can't speak for wet roads because I never took my bike out in the rain but again, they seemed to have been favoured by the guys who toured on their Honda VFRs, BMW K-series and Suzuki V-Stroms.

My first choice would have been the Michelin Pilot Power 3 but what it boiled down to was cost and the Bridgestone's fit the bill (almost half in savings!) I believe Bridgestone may have changed the rubber compound since I bought them in 2010. (?) (Maybe somebody else can confirm.)

As for shops, I'd most likely point you to Bayside or M Speed Performance. I've been helped by a Revscene member who worked (works?) at Bayside and was well taken care of. Marbod at M Speed was also great (despite his haunting reputation/history.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-07-2013 at 02:57 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Marbod at M Speed was also great (despite his haunting reputation/history.)

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
RS Veteran

^
haha yeah

I'm indifferent about that. Some people get VERY upset and are hyper sensitive about the issue.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
2-Wheelin' Mod

...but now I'm curious.

PS ~ thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
haha yeah

I'm indifferent about that. Some people get VERY upset and are hyper sensitive about the issue.

i'm not entirely sure what happened but didn't it have something to do with the guy stealing customers' bikes or something?
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Best you ask fT-z33wor.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
2-Wheelin' Mod

I went with the Michelin Power 3 Dual Compound set. Basically at this point mountain bike tires would have been an upgrade on the well worn Dunlops ...
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Good call, best tire for a crotch rocket hands down.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote