REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mitsubishi Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mitsubishi-tech-resources_314/)
-   -   Lancer Ralliart and a Atmospheric BOV (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686001-lancer-ralliart-atmospheric-bov.html)

sniperkirby 07-07-2013 05:38 AM

Lancer Ralliart and a Atmospheric BOV

So i recently purchased a new lancer ralliart. The stock pressure release valve is a plastic recirculating BOV.

I heard that plastic ones leak at higher pressures. Im looking into replacing it with a Turbosmart BOV.

My question is, will an atmospheric BOV work on an engine that originally had a recirculating BOV. Also, if i were to replace the stock valve with an atmospheric BOV, what kind of air will my car be releasing, is it clean or is it considered a pollutant to the environment? Thank you so much :D

excuse the grammar mistake in the title. Thanks

bluejays 07-07-2013 10:15 AM

Technically yes, it will work. But if you're completely stock and not running any tune it's probably not a good idea to vent into the atmosphere. It will fool you're MAF sensor and mess up your A/F ratio causing you to run rich and performance will suffer

Berzerker 07-07-2013 10:24 AM

Your car will run like shit because your MAF will be getting false readings. It's clean air as its just air that is going into your motor. The fuel doesn't get added until its injected into the cylinders.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

sniperkirby 07-07-2013 04:27 PM

alright thanks alot, i just dont want to get pulled over by cops when i actually put on a atmospheric bov and get a ticket for environmental harm :P

bluejays 07-07-2013 04:35 PM

^Not too sure why you would still consider venting after the info Berz and myself have given you

AVS_Racing 07-07-2013 04:48 PM

Don't due to the fact that ralliarts have SST, the atmospheric bov will make it run like shit if your car is stock, most evo ralliart owners run recirculating. and you will not gain any power from getting a bov on a stock car.

jing 07-07-2013 04:54 PM

Atmospheric BOVs are for ricers, duh.

sniperkirby 07-07-2013 05:05 PM

im planning on getting it tuned as well, apparently i can get better fuel economy out of it that way too.

bcrdukes 07-08-2013 03:29 AM

I hope you are keeping the stock by-pass / recirc valve on despite the tune. A blow-off valve will not yield any kind of fuel economy no matter what you do to it. Berz and bluejays already explained it so I won't repeat what they've already said.

Phil@rise 08-12-2013 12:36 PM

CEL and potential limp mode.
Dont do it.

BoostedBB6 08-12-2013 12:51 PM

You can get aftermarket BOV's that have a recirc feature.

Something like a HKS SSQV with the re-circ adapter so you can plumb it back in.
You will only hurt the car doing this without the re-circ.

You will still get the sound (may be a bit muffled when compare to atmospheric release) but its still there.

IMASA 08-12-2013 04:32 PM

Guardian Angel Overboost Protection [GUARDIAN_ANGEL (0100-0003.3)] - $199.00CAD : Stratified Automotive Controls

This is a device designed by a local tuner in the mazdaspeed community, but will work on most turbo cars. Its primary function is to provide overboost protection. Secondary function is to allow you to run a push/pull style BPV/BOV in VTA mode with minimal issues.