REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   How profitable is Revscene? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686791-how-profitable-revscene.html)

Manic! 07-29-2013 08:05 PM

This is the real owner of RS. Everyone else is just a front.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...eSEAlTZpseynIm

bing 07-29-2013 08:11 PM

Forums can make decent cash but you have to set it up properly.

My uncle runs a successful board and pulls in decent money (and still has time for regular employment). We talked about RS and he thinks the user base is larger than his site. However, RS has far fewer ads, less strategic placements of ads, and also has more than one owner (3?).

Hondaracer 07-29-2013 08:16 PM

Hosting costs $$$
Posted via RS Mobile

Gridlock 07-29-2013 08:18 PM

Ha! The mods of revscene answer the simple questions with a hushed disdain like you are cracking the enigma code(wow, two WWII references back to back, gotta lay off history channel)

...and you think you'll get them to open the books, for you, Timpo, of ALL the members.

Why don't you go back to focusing on that quality content you bring to revscene and let others handle the finances.

murd0c 07-29-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8291475)
This is the real owner of RS. Everyone else is just a front.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...eSEAlTZpseynIm

didnt that guy get all of him limbs cut off or something like that?

bing 07-29-2013 08:23 PM

^backstory?

vitaminG 07-29-2013 08:28 PM

wasnt there like a ranking of the size of all forums at some point? i remember revscene being relatively high on that list

jeedee 07-29-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8291488)
^backstory?

Pics from a Chinese gangsters phone - Imgur

FerrariEnzo 07-29-2013 09:32 PM

Im more interested in Timpo's first thread without a single fail!

GrapeDrink 07-29-2013 09:51 PM

^not anymore :fuckthatshit:

ilovebacon 07-29-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8291494)

Wow, he's so ballin he owns a baby bear...
Posted via RS Mobile

Gridlock 07-29-2013 09:58 PM

I bet www.timpscene.net would make a fortune.

ShadowBun 07-29-2013 10:25 PM

or... www.shadowbuns_hotlocalgirlspicNSFW.ca

Matsuda 07-29-2013 11:14 PM

honestly Timpo, what's it to you? Just be happy there are volunteers putting in their own free time to help run Revscene smoothly. I don't think Revscene was started with dreams of big profits but to build a local automotive community. Ads, revscene gear, sponsors help alleviate the costs of running a big site as this and to put on events like the Revscene Spring and Summer meets.

Verdasco 07-29-2013 11:19 PM

.... limbs are still attached based on pics... his shoe and shirt juts covering it..

twitchyzero 07-29-2013 11:23 PM

Chinese Love and Suicide Girls probably rake in more cash than the sponsors :lawl:

NKC ONE 07-30-2013 12:03 AM

Some say, the owners of revscene bathe each other with the most expensive synthetic motor oils mixed with nutella with the money they rake in.

Mike Oxbig 07-30-2013 12:53 AM

Don't revscene make moeny off some skinnypupp sponsors?

!SG 07-30-2013 03:09 AM

actually, titan is only 1/2 tibetan mastiff

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...03244558_o.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8291392)
Maybe on the streets..... but in their mansions they

try to keep it eco-friendly and ride around on these:

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/ima...ensive-dog.jpg

!SG 07-30-2013 03:21 AM

its hard to believe but RS was started 13 years ago. it was during its first year that both Choo and I teamed forces with jACE as it was growing beyond the original quick plan.

the first 5 years were probably the toughest. all 3 of us were part of 3 other boards that were manufacturer and car specific. but we combined what we have learned, mistakes and triumphs, and applied it an ever growing board. Back then, all 3 of us were still in school, finding our careers, and thus, had a lot more free time. back then, you should have saw how little we charged shops to advertise on RS. Their total combined revenue didnt even cover the cost to run the site! Since then, we've had to upgrade our backbone a good 1/2 a dozen times to get at what we got today, somewhat trouble free, and a site that stays on 99.99% of the time. most of you dont remember how often the site went down back in the day. Now, all 3 of us have careers and personal growth, so finding every bit of spare time for RS is tough enough as is, hence admins, moderators, volunteer staff. Times have changed, and lots of members have come and gone.

RS stands where it stands today because we've made many decisions to keep it where its at. We could have sold the board years ago, but decided to stick with it.

so the original question, is RS profitable? Yes it is. But profits get folded back to running events, participating in shows, overcosts of running the board. If i factor those items as an actual figure as a regular expenditure, then its hard to say profitable. We are still using our own personal finances to buffer the immediate costs to running this board. Some of us, actually, all of us, hold multiple jobs so we can have the means to have a regular personal lifestyle.

I wish we could go back in the day when we could be reckless, throw together a meet at any location, without needing to think of safety, event insurance, public convenience costs, and public persona of our decisions for the website to the general public. We have matured and so have our decisions.

Its now almost 4:30am, gotta get ready for the start to my day... @ 5am. so you get the picture if what was painted was an image of us "ballin," especially when my days usually end around 6:30pm

Timpo 07-31-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrapeDrink (Post 8291549)
^not anymore :fuckthatshit:

:ohgodwhy:

ae101 07-31-2013 06:12 PM

u guys are awesome & i dont care how much money u guys make, just dont change it for the world

SkinnyPupp 08-01-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8291479)
Forums can make decent cash but you have to set it up properly.

My uncle runs a successful board and pulls in decent money (and still has time for regular employment). We talked about RS and he thinks the user base is larger than his site. However, RS has far fewer ads, less strategic placements of ads, and also has more than one owner (3?).

As far as fewer ads and less 'strategic' this is by design. I personally hate it when forums and websites 'strategically' stuff ads in the way of the content.

I went out of my way to make sure that we can run as many ads as possible, without getting in the way of the forum itself. For registered users, they will all be on one side, and above and below the actual content, with one ad in the first sig.

On that note, if you love RS one of the best things you can do to show support is disable Adblock for the site! Thanks! :thumbs:

bing 08-01-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8293530)
As far as fewer ads and less 'strategic' this is by design. I personally hate it when forums and websites 'strategically' stuff ads in the way of the content.

I went out of my way to make sure that we can run as many ads as possible, without getting in the way of the forum itself. For registered users, they will all be on one side, and above and below the actual content, with one ad in the first sig.

On that note, if you love RS one of the best things you can do to show support is disable Adblock for the site! Thanks! :thumbs:

I agree. From a user point of view, I do very much appreciate this.

SB7 08-01-2013 10:49 PM

God bless RS :nicethread: