REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
I don't get it

Home Security Systems

Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting a home security system installed in a brand new house. I was hoping someone could give me some advice or point in the right direction? Or even help me save some money? I need to get one installed and no, I am not going to get some guard dogs instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement

My RS Feedback
EcLiPsEbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...tgun-12-gauge/
Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
Monitored or not? Is the house pre-wired for a security system? If it is, you can purchase a system and install it yourself.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
It's worked for me thus far.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Monitored or not? Is the house pre-wired for a security system? If it is, you can purchase a system and install it yourself.
Not if you want it monitored...
Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
do you live beside me??

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

well, if it's a new house, as pointed out above, you would want to find out if it's wired for camera's and whether or not there's a place for your alarm panel to go that you could also connect your phone line to.
If it is wired AND you want it monitored, I'm sure you can call up any alarm companies and they'll be more than happy to come do the installation provided that you sign a contract with them.
If it is wired but you don't need it monitored, Just search for locations where low voltage wires for the cameras have already been roughed in, and where they all end up, buy your own cameras, panel and DVR and voila. You may need some specialized tools tho, (wire strippers, connectors, crimps, etc)
If it's not pre-wired, mmm I guess it's going to be a pretty big job and get some quotes?
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
IIRC Soundy does something related to this; you may want to PM him, he might be able to refer you or give you a hand.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
I don't get it

Thanks, I know there are some wires around the house. I assume it's prewired then but not 100% sure. I am looking for monitored service. I will look into this further after I come home. Thanks for the response so far everyone!

My RS Feedback
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
noob question: what good is an alarm if it's not monitored?

I always thought the purpose of an alarm is to have "A voice come on and speak to the intruder". I may have heard one too many ALARMFORCE commercials to end up at this thought.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Honestly, I think people really need to reconsider their level of security needs.

A family member just bought a townhouse in a gated community in white rock. The previous owner was trying to talk them into taking over the alarm contract(obvi, to save money on cancelling)

Now, I get that the gate is for decoration as I've never had to buzz thorugh but you have to ask yourself...in white rock, with the gate, with neighbors everywhere with crime rates decreasing...do you really need to worry THAT much?

It's an area that is easy to market to...it is so easy to drum up that sense of FUD for people in selling alarms.

I find cameras useless. We have 2 buildings within sight of each other. One with cameras, and one without. The one with cameras gets more bullshit(tbh, it also has underground, or "concrete car rape zone") and no one ever cares that there are cameras.
I have some sweet video of a guy james bonding his way through a small window and having his way with a motorcycle.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
one of the security guys i work with showed me his high tech setup. it worked for him b/c some asshat neighbour kept having his dog shit right in front of his garage door. caught it on film and went to said neighbour to set him straight

that's pretty much the only reason to have cams...they don't really deter thieves like grid said IMO

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

^^So we have used the cameras for crime once. For confronting tenants? Lots.

Dino:"So its you that's leaving your garbage next to the dumpster"
Them:"No its not"
Dino:"roll video!"
Them:"riiiiight. So in the dumpster then"
Dino:"Yeah"

Dino:"So its you that's pinning the door open. Bonus, 10 minutes later a car thief was in the garage, and because of you had full access to the building"
Them:"No its not"
Dino:"roll video!"
Them:"riiiiight. So, keep the doors closed then."
Dino: "Yeah"
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
noob question: what good is an alarm if it's not monitored?

I always thought the purpose of an alarm is to have "A voice come on and speak to the intruder". I may have heard one too many ALARMFORCE commercials to end up at this thought.
If your system isn't monitored, then you want the loudest siren possible, perhaps a strobe as well and hope your neighbours look and see someone breaking in.

Not all systems have two way voice. If someone is in your home and hears a siren, or hears someone saying the police are on their way, either way they know they have x amount of time to take what they want and get out. If the robbers don't verbally respond or are relatively quiet, two way voice is tough to verify its an actual alarm vs false alarm and may not warrant priority response from the police.

Video verification is better because a monitoring company can actually see the crime in progress (assuming cameras are covering the valuables they're after, or the thieve's point of entry) and will call it in as a crime in progress. Police will prioritize the verified event as they want to catch someone in the act. Not all monitoring stations have the technology for video verification. The company I work for does, but I can't hook anyone up with a deal... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Even with a monitored two-way voice alarm system, it's ineffective. People still get their valuables and money stolen in a few minutes. That's all it takes.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
If your system isn't monitored, then you want the loudest siren possible, perhaps a strobe as well and hope your neighbours look and see someone breaking in.

Not all systems have two way voice. If someone is in your home and hears a siren, or hears someone saying the police are on their way, either way they know they have x amount of time to take what they want and get out. If the robbers don't verbally respond or are relatively quiet, two way voice is tough to verify its an actual alarm vs false alarm and may not warrant priority response from the police.

Video verification is better because a monitoring company can actually see the crime in progress (assuming cameras are covering the valuables they're after, or the thieve's point of entry) and will call it in as a crime in progress. Police will prioritize the verified event as they want to catch someone in the act. Not all monitoring stations have the technology for video verification. The company I work for does, but I can't hook anyone up with a deal... sorry
Curious...have any stats on how many people have been caught in the act as a result of your system being installed?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Waxin’ Punks

I don't have any stats myself no.. not sure corp tracks that, but they may. I design it, sell it and move on. I don't really hear about the day to day in the monitoring station.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
I don't have any stats myself no.. not sure corp tracks that, but they may. I design it, sell it and move on. I don't really hear about the day to day in the monitoring station.
fair enough...and I tried wording that in the least "gotcha" way possible. Alarm systems always seem to have that factor of really selling the fear, and so I was wondering if there is actual proof to back up the extra purchase of a video monitored system saying, "here's 10 guys that were arrested last month" that type of thing.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
Waxin’ Punks

I don't use fear to sell systems. Many video verification setups are used to prevent false alarm fines as well. Say a panic station in an underground parking lot gets hit by some punk kids, the monitoring station can see that its a false alarm and won't dispatch police. The monthly video monitoring costs are often less expensive than potential monthly fines for many clients. On top of that, any true event is verified and get's priority response. That's a great selling feature for our client's tenants. They can build it into rent and usually break it down per square foot so cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 08-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
I don't use fear to sell systems. Many video verification setups are used to prevent false alarm fines as well. Say a panic station in an underground parking lot gets hit by some punk kids, the monitoring station can see that its a false alarm and won't dispatch police. The monthly video monitoring costs are often less expensive than potential monthly fines for many clients. On top of that, any true event is verified and get's priority response. That's a great selling feature for our client's tenants. They can build it into rent and usually break it down per square foot so cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things.
You're talking primarily commercial locations that use this type of tech?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Waxin’ Punks

Primarily, yes. However, any residential tower/building with underground parking could deploy this type of system. Personally, I don't do resi systems unless it calls for video/access control integration. The company I work for does residential alarm, but I'm in a different division.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 08-04-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
We have cameras in our office and warehouse with an app "mcamview" that links directly to my s3, it's a great way to keep in touch with the office when you're out. Might want to look into that type of set up. Also, we have a mic function that I can use as a pa as well.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #23
I don't get it

Jeez, I thought I clicked reply but I guess I didn't.

I was pretty much saying that I checked and it looks like I have wiring for the keypads (main floor & upstairs not sure about basement) and motion sensors (main floor). I don't really want cameras unless it's not much more but I guess I'll find out. After this long weekend, I am going to be giving ADT and VanFire/Radius Security a call. For some reason AlarmForce didn't interest me.

Oh and the reason I am looking for a monitored system is because of the home insurance discount.

Thanks for all the responses and private messages so far.

My RS Feedback
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
We have cameras in our office and warehouse with an app "mcamview" that links directly to my s3, it's a great way to keep in touch with the office when you're out. Might want to look into that type of set up. Also, we have a mic function that I can use as a pa as well.
Most systems these days support mobile phones.. Not many do PA, but I'm sure that would be a lot of fun for business owners!

"Hey you, get back to work!"

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Director of RS Cares

Sorry to jack OP's thread, but is there a way to connect your cameras to your phone or ipads? I have a central security system in the house where I can view the cams inside my house but for instance if I'm on vacation or at the office I'd like to be able to check on place if anything happens.

Edit: Nevermind, I just called our security company and they can set it up for $60. Technology these days....I'm so blown away!!!