REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   cleaning white shirts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687115-cleaning-white-shirts.html)

stewie 08-08-2013 11:15 PM

cleaning white shirts

found several of my old shirts the other day.

I really like some of these shirts, but some of them have nasty ass yellow pit stains on them from the antiperspirant I used + a good build up over time.

ive tried some cleaning methods like dawn soap - soak for a good hour or 2, scrub out with tooth brush and sun dry it...use vinegar and water, baking soda + water and scrub and let it dry then rinse and sun dry it etc. ive been told not to use bleach...so ill call that a plan c lol.

the shirts are now a 100 times better than what I found them in. but some still have a noticeable stain on them.

id rather not want to throw these out as I kinda like them and probably would never find them again.

does anyone have any ways to get the stains out?? soak over night in something? use a specific thing? or are the stains that are left permanent stains?

skiiipi 08-09-2013 07:33 AM

try oxyclean pre-wash
let it soak for about 20min then wash with woolite or smth

Spidey 08-09-2013 08:25 AM

if oxi clean doesn't work, bleach. If your shirts are all white, then bleach should be okay, just dilute and keep an eye on it.

Do you sweat "alot"? if not I would use a deoderant instead of an AP to prevent future stains.

bcedhk 08-09-2013 08:55 AM

you'll probably still have light stain marks even with oxi clean.

unit 08-09-2013 08:59 AM

if the stains are old, you prob wont get them out.
i have a sweater that i wanted to save with some oxyclean, it was just one tiny spot on the chest (food stain). i got it years ago and the sweater was in the closet since.
used the oxyclean pre-laundry gel, did nothing.

Mr.HappySilp 08-09-2013 09:55 AM

bleach should do the trick.

meme405 08-09-2013 10:28 AM

Shieeeeettt, You got a stain on your white tee? :lawl:

You have to clean that stuff up right away bro....

Matlock 08-09-2013 01:46 PM

Hmmm... I've been saving old white shirts with yellow stains for cleaning sometime, but never got around to it.

I guess they will never be white again.

To Sally Anne's it is. :lawl:

finbar 08-09-2013 02:29 PM

DO stain is one of the toughest gets.

Mix baking soda with tide, 50/50, and a bit of water to form a loose paste.
Apply to stain.
Scrub it, work it between your knuckles, really get it worked into the fabric.
Let it sit an hour or two, over night maybe.
Launder as usual.
YMMV

cunninglinguist 08-09-2013 10:07 PM

Stick it in a sink with Oxyclean and watch the water turn yellow.