REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #276
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
oh wow where's the winco? i always thought the closest one was by exit 202
Posted via RS Mobile
300 East Bellis Fair Parkway

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=winco+...m&z=13&iwloc=A
Advertisement
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #277
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
got some ribs for 99cents!
like 6 packs!
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #278
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
on my way down tonight, the us officer said so which gas station you going to? i was like "uhh what...how did you know???? ....chevron" haha

i got a random search by cbsa. they searched for less than 5 mins then called me out to the car and said i was transporting jerry can incorrectly/unsafe, told me to get bungee cords next time. Then he started asking about parts on my car cause he wanted to get some parts ahha

btw, it felt good bypassing the huge lineup to return back to canada...nexus ftw hah

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #279
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Went through Aldergrove crossing for the first time, and got charged $137 in tax -_-

Back to Peace Arch it is.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #280
MOD

they opted to search my vehicle instead of taxing me on $200 worth of goods...

Quote:

Old 09-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #281
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Went yesterday to ceck out Winco. Sale prices were pretty good. Slightly cheaper on other things. It's open 24 hours.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #282
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Has anyone driven thru Grant's Pass in Oregon, during late October? If so, how was the weather and road conditions like? A couple buddies and I are planning a weekend roadtrip and I'm trying to prepare accordingly.

TIA!

Last edited by Skittlez160; 09-26-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: TIA
Skittlez160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #283
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Lawsuits launched after US border guards vent about Canadians | News1130

BELLINGHAM (NEWS1130) – Americans border agents are said to be venting online about Canadians heading south of the line.

Businesses on both sides of the 49th parallel have now launched a lawsuit.

The accusations include US Customs and Border Protection Agents picking on Canadians and in some cases looking to ban them from entering the country for five years.

There is an online forum where – apparently – agents are using fake names and posting things like “All of this can be solved if we just annex Canada and make it the 51st state,” and “Canadians that assert their right to come to the US amuse me.”

Immigration lawyer Greg Boos thinks the technology is out there that would allow CBP to track the people down and could subpoena the records of the chat board. “Find out who these people are, and get them out of the customs and border protection agency. They don’t have the right to be serving the public when they have that kind of attitude.”

The forum’s disclaimer says the site is just a place for officers to exchange information.

SOME SAMPLE POSTS from the forums:

Nothing worse than a whiny Canadian who thinks they have every right in the world to live here because they are Canadian. In the meantime any US citizen who had a DUI 20 years ago isn't allowed into Canada, but they don't talk about that do they? Oh and I just love the Canadian TN applicants while in secondary getting processed just babble on and on about how great Canada is. If Canada is so great why are you moving to the US to work?????!?!

15776.9 in reply to 15776.8

Our lobbies are full of TN applicants, it makes me sick!

Last edited by Acura604; 09-27-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #284
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I've experienced the opposite.. CBSA are usually the ones with attitude problems.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #285
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
I've experienced the opposite.. CBSA are usually the ones with attitude problems when I cross back into Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah for some reason the 9/11 security panic hasn't trickled down to US customs. They were polite and professional when I hopped down to Point Roberts once to pick up something, but the CBSA agent actually SCOLDED ME for buying American and not supporting the Canadian economy.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #286
MG1

Quote:
If Canada is so great why are you moving to the US to work?????!?!
Dumbass Amurican.......... if it weren't for Canadians and others from around the world working in the US, America would be in shambles. America is the land of opportunity. Can you imagine if you had nothing but Americans working in the US?

10 times the population..... there's work to be had down south.

Anyway........my experience on both sides have been good. I love going to the US. I find them pretty friendly folks. I guess the bad apples are the ones people remember.

I can see how some of them are upset with Canadians. Some Canadians do some mighty stupid things when down in someone else's county.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #287
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The health insurance thing is a big enough deal that I wouldn't want to live in the states without a steady job. Of course, being Canadian, there's no way in hell I'll get a work visa unless I have a secure-enough job that would offer good insurance anyway.

For self employed people, it's a big load off your shoulders to not have to worry about health care.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #288
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
SOME SAMPLE POSTS from the forums:

If Canada is so great why are you moving to the US to work?????!?!

As a non-Canadian, (well, I am technically a Canadian citizen, but i do not consider myself Canadian, which Canada allows fully, which I really dislike, I prefer the US system where you go there to be an American - but I'm going way off topic) - I have to say, I find the general viewpoint of Canadians to be that they are better than Americans (always with the free healthcare, and 'we're more polite') - yet they jump at the opportunity to work down there... so, with that the poster has a point.

On a slight aside, much like one can't say they 'hate LA' (as it's like 20+ towns in one), you can't dislike americans, they are such a diverse people, just like canadians - huge country, totally different viewpoints, attitudes, etc. in each state.

i, for one, have always enjoyed my interaction with americans, and can, to the same degree say the same about canadians... but i tend to interact with less sketchy looking ppl and i go to the nicer neighbourhoods - so maybe my 'sample' of people isn't fair of all

i went to the states last week, MY GOD, do we ever get ripped off up here. name brand stuff, 1/2 the price of equivalent stuff here (i know its cheaper, i used to live in the US - but this trip really shocked me, maybe i was just lucky - in bed, bath, and beyond (for the mrs.), she bought something up here, was 2/3 the cost down there, not on sale)... i think $300 ish between gf and i on a day trip, no tax, very happy with our shopping trip.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatsuyaKataoka View Post
The health insurance thing is a big enough deal that I wouldn't want to live in the states without a steady job. Of course, being Canadian, there's no way in hell I'll get a work visa unless I have a secure-enough job that would offer good insurance anyway.

For self employed people, it's a big load off your shoulders to not have to worry about health care.
you know you can buy health insurance, right? and don't think they pay anywhere NEAR the taxes/deductions we pay up here - net, net, it's not at all different, all in once you have paid for insurance.

not every situation is the same, i know... but people are ignorant to how things actually work down there, one thing is they pay loads less tax, and way less of a cost of living, so if you have to pay $100-200-500 a month in healthcare, who cares if you pay $800 less in housing, $100 less in fuel, and $400 less in taxes a month?
(those numbers come from my butt, FYI)
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #290
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I prefer the US system where you go there to be an American
A friend of mine has been in the US for over 20 years. He has no desire to get US citizenship. My wife's uncle is not even from NA and he has no desire to become American citizen. His children and grandchildren are American, of course. Dude is like very well off. Started a business in the US and had lots of people working for him - now retired.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
A friend of mine has been in the US for over 20 years. He has no desire to get US citizenship. My wife's uncle is not even from NA and he has no desire to become American citizen. His children and grandchildren are American, of course. Dude is like very well off. Started a business in the US and had lots of people working for him - now retired.
many people may have to give up their home citizenships, which is a HUGE deal to many. if you have a green card in the US, then the difference is minimal, if you don't plan on being a criminal.

there's also worldwide taxation even if you're not a resident, when you are a citizen.

personally, i think a US passport is the most important document in the world, but then again, i am spoiled having the two passports i currently have (EU and Canada)

i would likely drop my canadian citizenship in a heartbeat to get an american one - some would call me crazy, we all have our own desires and reasons (again, having my british passport means i can do certain things that i don't need a cdn passport for - yet i'd never give that one up as it means i can work in all of europe)

edit: also, not being a citizen in the US doesn't mean you're not american - when i lived there, i was a resident, and i was a true american loving patriot (don't read that as a southern state, bible bashing, foreigner hating hick, read it as someone who loved the place i was in, and would happily tell anyone who asked, and i happily pledged my allegiance to the flag of the united states of america)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #292
RS controls my life!

FYI - US nexus closes at 9pm...had to wait in line yesterday to gas up..Canada was still open though (open until midnight)
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #293
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez160 View Post
Has anyone driven thru Grant's Pass in Oregon, during late October? If so, how was the weather and road conditions like? A couple buddies and I are planning a weekend roadtrip and I'm trying to prepare accordingly.

TIA!
Haven't been there in late october, but i was down there in august and they had wildfires and it was extremely hot and humid from all the fires. It was hard to breath down there.

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #294
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
Went through Aldergrove crossing for the first time, and got charged $137 in tax -_-

Back to Peace Arch it is.
Crossed Peach Arch on 25th Weds and was in a bitch of a line.

Each car took like a good 2-3 minutes (usually it's 30-40 secs and you are good to go). 1 out of 2 cars got pulled over for search and to go inside to pay tax (mine included).

I've traveled before with the same declaration dollar amount and no tax, but on this day got pulled in to pay duties, so YMMV.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
Haven't been there in late october, but i was down there in august and they had wildfires and it was extremely hot and humid from all the fires. It was hard to breath down there.
Ahh okay, thank you.

I checked out their website and apparently the area doesn't get any snow at that time. But daily lows can be around 2-4 degrees.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #296

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Border guards will still be working despite the American Govt shutdown, whos still going to the states?
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
Border guards will still be working despite the American Govt shutdown, whos still going to the states?
I'm set to go down for our Thanksgiving weekend in two weeks and again the weekend after for a mini roadtrip.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #298
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
I went across this morning at 7:00 am Sumas crossing. Two lanes open and I drove right up to the booth. Nobody in the line up. Coming back, same thing. Gotta love it when you're in and out in less than ten minutes getting gas.

Regular grade gas was 3.579/gal. @ USA Gas in Sumas.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #299
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,490 Times in 553 Posts
Went down last week and the Bellingham Costco put up a sign that prohibits jerry cans larger than 6L IIRC because of a fire code and you can only fill 1 jerry can. That sure pissed off the Surrey folk
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #300
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

6 litres or 6 gallons?
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote