REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mitsubishi Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mitsubishi-tech-resources_314/)
-   -   Looking for Evo 9 Need advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687255-looking-evo-9-need-advice.html)

zizo 08-13-2013 02:10 PM

Looking for Evo 9 Need advice

Hi all

I've been looking to buy evo 9 for quite some time now, but its really hard to find one in lower mainland area,(should i give up and go for something else). I was also wondering what are the common issues to look for when hunting for one

I would be helpful for those who own one to let us know about major problems they face, costs, reliability & experience

Thanks

jtanner_ 08-13-2013 02:55 PM

The 4G63T is pretty bulletproof. Just watch out for rocks.

:lawl:...:badpokerface:...:okay:

zizo 08-13-2013 03:00 PM

what about transmission

jtanner_ 08-13-2013 03:05 PM

Depends on your purpose for the car...

RS/GSR 5-speed > MR 6-speed

Either way it's easily good for ~400 whp.

zizo 08-13-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtanner_ (Post 8299971)
Depends on your purpose for the car...

RS/GSR 5-speed > MR 6-speed

Either way it's easily good for ~400 whp.

Daily Driver, Future upgrades but nothing crazy. Thanks for info, I might consider one from Seattle they have lots of craigslist, if i cant find a local one

zizo 08-13-2013 03:15 PM

btw, is that ur white evo in ur avatar, i spotted it on the weekend in tim hortons parking in surrey (@ fraser hwy), is that u?

jtanner_ 08-13-2013 03:21 PM

It's an evo 7 in my avatar. I own this evo 8:

http://www.staticcaptains.com/wp-con...6/IMG_9969.jpg

But yeah, that would have been me at tim hortons' ha ha. I live close to there.

They're more or less pretty reliable cars. Most people I know who own them have it as their daily driver.

I'd try to avoid buying one locally if you can as the selection is so limited. Take the time to browse over the border and do your research on how to import a vehicle before going down.

zizo 08-13-2013 03:27 PM

haha i live really close from there, clean ride! , there was also a red e30 parked beside u, but couldnt find a parking spot beside him :(, i drive an e30 as well

R. Mutt 08-13-2013 04:35 PM

You should probably look at importing...the ones that are here are owned by enthusiasts who, more than likely, aren't looking to sell since they went out of their way to purchase a car that was never sold in Canada.

That said things you should check:

Generally Speaking
  • Compression test
  • Leak down test
  • Boost leak test

Evo Specific
  • Make sure to ask what the modifications are on the car. If the owner is clueless I would walk away unless you can track down the shop and/or previous owners to know the service and modification history.
  • If the car is still on the stock turbo you should hit full boost no later than 4000rpm...if it feels laggy or delayed then the turbo might be damaged.
  • Make sure the car shifts cleanly in all gears. If it doesn't it could be a problem with anything from the clutch to the gearbox itself and that is a very expensive job. The 6 speed gearboxes are weaker than the 5 speed but they suck for highway cruising. It's a compromise so know what you are using the car for. I wanted a 5 speed because I plan on making a lot of power in the long run.
  • Ask what fluids were used in the car. You want to make sure the proper service intervals were carried out, that oil was changed every 3000 miles. Start thinking in terms of miles as well since you are buying a car from the US. The drivetrain fluids for the transfer case and rear diff in particular are very important. DiaQueen should be used...some people use alternatives but generally speaking you want a car that used DiaQueen oil for the diff service intervals.

Evo's drink gas like no ones business...be prepared to pay out if you enjoy getting on the throttle.

If you buy a heavily modified car it could either be a blessing or a curse. Pros: you will save a lot of money in the long run: parts, shipping, tax and installation and tuning all add up. But if the car was modified poorly or the screwed up the wiring then you could end up with a pita that takes a long time to get sorted...more than likely spending lots of down time and money figuring out arbitrary issues.

They are very reliable cars once you service them at the proper intervals and change fluids regularly.

R. Mutt 08-13-2013 04:39 PM

Generally speaking I would recommend going for a car with minimal to no modifications:

Intake, Turbo back exhaust, intercooler and piping...more than likely you will end up changing these and it'll be hard to find a car that doesn't have one or all of these already.

It's better to learn and enjoy the car in stock(ish) form than tame a beast out the gate. You'll really get the most enjoyment by modifying the car to your suiting rather than driving something that someone else already built and there's nothing left to do. This is arguable of course but for me it's more about the journey than the destination.

zizo 08-14-2013 08:35 AM

Well written, thats definitely helpful, and yes i plan to buy a stock one or one with minimal mods