REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Window Tint Bubbles

I got my windows tinted 10 days ago and there is still some small bubbles on the rear window of my car. Far away, won't notice anything, only up close when I inspect every surface area is when I notice the bubbles.

I have warranty on the tint and can easily go back and get them to take it off and redo it again; however, I just don't want my defrost lines to be messed up by having them take off the tint.

Live with the small bubbles? What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Two ways to try.

I would start with a heat gun/blow dryer and an applicator card.
Warm the bubbled area, smooth out with the applicator card. This works best on edges where you can actually move the bubble away but can get rid of small bubbles that are not on the edges.

The other would be to use a VERY sharp and VERY small needle/pin to prick the bubble. Then use your finger to move the air out of the bubble through the hole you just made and finish it off with the applicator card to smooth it out. This can sometimes leave a small hole and allow moisture in there.

I would take it back to the place you got the work done first tho. See what they say, maybe they could fix it for you so you dont have to mess around with it.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've taken my own tint off before... didn't do squat to the defroster grid. The adhesive stayed on the glass (over the grid) after I yanked off the tint, then I used an ammonia-based window cleaner to remove the sticky. If you use a razor blade to remove it, then you'll have issues..

I can only imagine a professional shop would do the same.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Similar to this? I had it redone with no issues to defroster... but there are still a few... I guess it could be one of a few reasons:

-was your car tinted before?
-they didn't clean the glass well enough (most tint shops do not operate in a 'air-tight vacuam' so contaminants get in some how or rather such as dust, etc)

I've also removed tint before just by using a handheld steamer...the steam heated up the left over residue which could be rubbed off easily with a micro fibre towel or even your thumbs.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
where did you go?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Every Chrysler Mini-van with tint in the rear window.

Sorry, I thought we were doing word association on "tint and bubbles". Seriously, every time I see a mini-van with more bubble than adhered tint I want to pull them over and ask what they are trying to accomplish.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote